Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you read that right! I know it might not be the BEST build, but I think there's more to this than people would expect...

Outer Rim Smuggler + Gunner (32 pts)

Chewbacca + Swarm Tactics, Nien Nunb, Gunner, Millenium Falcon (51 pts)

Prototype Pilot (17 pts)

So why you ask? Well...here's the way I see each round going down: ORS moves before any other ship on the table giving him the opportunity for action denial but he still gets to focus. Prototype moves next and hopefully gets himself into a position outside the enemy firing arc (thank you boost!). Chewie moves last and tries to get a nice range 1 on some poor soul and evades so he stays alive as long as possible. During combat, Chewie promotes ORS to lvl 5 and ORS shoots first (and twice!). I know what you're thinking...he'll never do any damage. Maybe...but he WILL strip off focus and evade tokens (and possibly two of them if you target a second ship if/when Gunner activates). Chewie fires next with a Gunner which will be absolutely devastating at range 1 if ORS did his job getting rid of focus/evade. And last, your little prototype pilot takes little pot shots at anyone left with the benefit of them likely have no defensive modifiers left. Added bonus - In order for an opponent to eliminate 33 pts of ship, they would have to kill off BOTH the ORS and the A-Wing or Chewie. Obviously Chewie will be the priority target but he's pretty resilient when he wants to be. So what do you think? It's not perfect, but admit it - you like it more than you want to, don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I like it less than I want to. I would love for there to be a great squad including the ORS, much less a 2-YT squad with a third ship.

But it would be a fun challenge, like a 3 or 4 Y-wing build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want a third ship in a double Falcon build, why not just make it a third Falcon for the ultimate cheese? It would probably be much more useful than a missile-less A-Wing:

Chewbacca/Lando/Han (42/44/46)
Outer Rim Smuggler (27)
Outer Rim Smuggler (27)
+ 4/2/0 points of upgrades, to taste
= 100pts

Warning: It'll struggle against the Empire a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
No, I like it less than I want to. I would love for there to be a great squad including the ORS, much less a 2-YT squad with a third ship.

lol...I like this response more than I want to! That having been said, I'm dying to try this out now. I expect it will go either surprisingly well or every bit as poorly as it sounds like it could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
If you really want a third ship in a double Falcon build, why not just make it a third Falcon for the ultimate cheese? It would probably be much more useful than a missile-less A-Wing:

Chewbacca/Lando/Han (42/44/46)
Outer Rim Smuggler (27)
Outer Rim Smuggler (27)
+ 4/2/0 points of upgrades, to taste
= 100pts

Warning: It'll struggle against the Empire a bit.

Meh...that's just raw HP which there's something to be said for, but it lacks the subtle (but potentially very effective) synergy that could otherwise exist. I admit there's not much that you're going to get from the A-Wing. At least I think...but then against, that's the point right? What if it works better than you thought? Sometimes the problem with theorycraft is that it's wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Halling
Denmark
flag msg tools
You're all looking at this wrong. The real question is how to squeeze a 4th ship into a 3 YT-1300 build:

3x ORS is 81 points, leaving room for either a gold squadron pilot and 1 point of upgrades, a prototype pilot and 2 points, or a green squadron with nothing left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could always do...

ORS x 2 (54 pts)
Biggs (25 pts)
Rookie X (21 pts)

4 ships and 2 Falcons. Regionals list DONE! Nailed it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Welfare
Australia
Guildford
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scomatt9 wrote:
Yep, you read that right! I know it might not be the BEST build, but I think there's more to this than people would expect...

Outer Rim Smuggler + Gunner (32 pts)

Chewbacca + Swarm Tactics, Nien Nunb, Gunner, Millenium Falcon (52 pts)

Prototype Pilot (17 pts)

So why you ask? Well...here's the way I see each round going down: ORS moves before any other ship on the table giving him the opportunity for action denial but he still gets to focus. Prototype moves next and hopefully gets himself into a position outside the enemy firing arc (thank you boost!). Chewie moves last and tries to get a nice range 1 on some poor soul and evades so he stays alive as long as possible. During combat, Chewie promotes ORS to lvl 5 and ORS shoots first (and twice!). I know what you're thinking...he'll never do any damage. Maybe...but he WILL strip off focus and evade tokens (and possibly two of them if you target a second ship if/when Gunner activates). Chewie fires next with a Gunner which will be absolutely devastating at range 1 if ORS did his job getting rid of focus/evade. And last, your little prototype pilot takes little pot shots at anyone left with the benefit of them likely have no defensive modifiers left. Added bonus - In order for an opponent to eliminate 33 pts of ship, they would have to kill off BOTH the ORS and the A-Wing or Chewie. Obviously Chewie will be the priority target but he's pretty resilient when he wants to be. So what do you think? It's not perfect, but admit it - you like it more than you want to, don't you?

Well 32+52+17=101 so you would need to lose something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffryW wrote:

Well 32+52+17=101 so you would need to lose something.

Actually I need to gain something - either better math or typing skills. Chewie + Swarm + Nien + MF is 51 points, not 52. Sorry for the typo; I've edited the original post to be correct. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Freybeck
msg tools
mbmbmb
I built a fun list including Wedge with upgrades and 2 Outer Rim Smugglers with Engine Upgrades for added maneuverability:

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/view/6911/rebel-wedge-friends

I use the YT's as intimidating thugs to shake up formations and let Wedge flank and Alpha Strike each turn if I can. You could swap in and out the Engine Upgrades on the YT's for maybe Weapons Engineer each for added attack potency if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Halinn wrote:
You're all looking at this wrong. The real question is how to squeeze a 4th ship into a 3 YT-1300 build:

3x ORS is 81 points, leaving room for either a gold squadron pilot and 1 point of upgrades, a prototype pilot and 2 points, or a green squadron with nothing left.

3X ORS and 1 Gold squadron pilot is 38 hit points. Yes, all the ships will have a base attack of 2, but wow, that is a lot of hit points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Halinn wrote:

3X ORS and 1 Gold squadron pilot is 38 hit points. Yes, all the ships will have a base attack of 2, but wow, that is a lot of hit points.

I'd be surprised if there's any list out there that could kill all those ships in a 60 minute game. So if someone knew his/her tournament was only going to be using 60 minute rounds, he/she could probably screw over all of the opponents by capping them at modified wins and limited "points destroyed" totals, assuming this list could kill a couple of things before the end (though that's more up in the air).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
Halinn wrote:

I'd be surprised if there's any list out there that could kill all those ships in a 60 minute game. So if someone knew his/her tournament was only going to be using 60 minute rounds, he/she could probably screw over all of the opponents by capping them at modified wins and limited "points destroyed" totals, assuming this list could kill a couple of things before the end (though that's more up in the air).

If you ran 3 Sabre squads with Stealth and PTL and Howlrunner (99 points), stayed at range 2 and always had focus and Evade on your ships, you might never get hit from their 2 dice attacks, and while you wouldn't do 38 points of damage, you would kill 33 points more than you lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
RogueThirteen wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
Halinn wrote:

Wedge + PTL + R2
Biggs
Rookie 1
Rookie 2

It would probably be able to take it out no problem. Concentrate fire and take out an ORS each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
Piqsid wrote:
Halinn wrote:

I think 3x Bounty Hunters are MUCH better than 3x Outer Rim Smugglers + Gold Y-wing.

Bounty Hunters:
- 3x 10 = 30 hit points total
- Agility-2 + Evade makes them much harder to hit
- Attack-3 makes them a much bigger threat against most squads (including those with Agility-3 ships like TIE swarms)
- Pilot Skill 3

Smugglers + Y-wing:
- 3x 10 + 8 = 38 hit points total
- Agility-1 with Evade on only 1 ship makes them incredibly easy to hit, even for a TIE swarm or A-wing swarm
- Attack-2 makes them weak against any squad that runs a lot of Agility-3 ships (e.g. TIE swarms); reminds me of TIE swarm mirror matches, except in this case your Agility-1 ships will take a ton of damage!
- Pilot Skill 1 (YT-1300's) and 2 (Y-wing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.