Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no supplies to make decent board games, like mounting on stuff, and spray glue.

The supplies I have available are paper, cardboard, card stock, Elmer's glue, knives, exacto knives, and scissors.

What are tips to make decent games with the above supplies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really don't need much more than that. The Print and Play guild and [geekurl=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/36/boardgamegeek/do-it-yourself]Do It Yourself Forum[/geekurl]are where you'll what to look for tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can cut the card stock with the scissors and write on the cards for a card game prototype!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I do so far.

Boards
1. Print out pages on regular paper.
2. Glue the pages to cardboard.
3. Cut out the boards.

Cards
1. Print out cards on card stock.
2. Cut out cards.

The cards work fine, but the boards all ways turn out crummy. Like the edges are all messed up. And in games like Pocket Civ Deluxe, you need them to be some what useable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The supplies you have are adequate to make plenty of prototypes, but if you're looking to try and build up your materials on the cheap, I'll give you these suggestions:

Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann Fabrics and Micheals all generally have weekly coupons for 40% off of a single regular-priced item. If you find you have a need for something, use these to pick it up at a great discount.

Super-77 spray glue is amazing stuff for gluing full sheets of paper to cardboard/chipboard. I would recommend an investment in a can, it will run you about $6 if you use an above mentioned coupon.

Barring spray glue, glue sticks are the next best thing, but you'll be buying them much more often.

If you have old 3 ring binders around the house/school/work that are no longer necessary, you can cut the vinyl covers and remove the chipboard from the front and back of the binder before throwing it away.

Anytime you can thrift a game with a big folding game board for $1 or less, that's another great source of chip board. This is also a good source for getting random game bits like tokens/pawns/dice to be able to use.

Cheap plastic poker chips and a $2 pack of 1/2" avery stickers go a long way to be able to do a lot of things.

Penny sleeves and old Magic cards that you slip paper in front of allow you to mock up decks of cards quicker/cheaper than anything else.

This should get you plenty of stock to be able to make really decent, workable games. After this, it's really the quality of the printer you have access to and how much graphic design skill you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
board_game_freak wrote:
Here is what I do so far.

Boards
1. Print out pages on regular paper.
2. Glue the pages to cardboard.
3. Cut out the boards.

Cards
1. Print out cards on card stock.
2. Cut out cards.

The cards work fine, but the boards all ways turn out crummy. Like the edges are all messed up. And in games like Pocket Civ Deluxe, you need them to be some what useable.

If you're using white Elmer's glue or corrugated cardboard, those could both be reasons why. Foam board is what I use for prototype game boards that need to be larger. Cereal boxes can work well for the backing of boards as well, which is essentially posterboard (sometimes thicker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
board_game_freak wrote:
I have no supplies to make decent board games, like mounting on stuff, and spray glue.

The supplies I have available are paper, cardboard, card stock, Elmer's glue, knives, exacto knives, and scissors.

What are tips to make decent games with the above supplies?

Not having and not having access are two different things.

Is this a request for working within the constraints you have presented, or an indication that you desire other materials, which are easily picked up from an art store or ordered via internet?

Regardless, I've played prototypes which were drawn on the inside of a cereal box with a sharpie, so you can make do with a lot less than you have available and be fairly inventive.

If you intend to make good quality products you're proud of, consider investing in other materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would like ideas on how to make do with what I have.

And I am not making prototypes. I am making other peoples games, like Pocket Civ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like adhesive mailing labels for dice stickers and business cards templates for cards, once the game is done. These are available at office supply stores for $10-$15 a pack, which is usually good for 2-3 medium size games. With prototypes I just use regular paper and draw charts for the dice sides.

If you can stop by a second hand store such as Goodwill, you can often find games that have good parts. Old Risks have cubes, new Risks have armies, Yahtze Junior or Boggle are good sources for dice, and poker chips are quite useful. Usually thrift stores sell games for under $5, and a small supply of the parts can be used in many ways and games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
board_game_freak wrote:
Yeah, I would like ideas on how to make do with what I have.

And I am not making prototypes. I am making other peoples games, like Pocket Civ.

Sorry, I started typing, left for a science fair, the came back and missed this note. I don't know any tricks with Elmer's glue, I agree that glue sticks seem to have less warping. You could try spreading it out with a scrap, and let it dry for awhile, but i suspect it wont be much better. You might be able to print on the card stock directly too. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo what Matt Loomis said about adhesives:

-- Spray Glue is really, really good. I usually have an old cardboard box to spray in; that way the sticky droplets don't scatter all over the room.

-- second to that are glue sticks. It works really well for small items, dries fast, and easy to clean up.

-- I absolutely hate the liquid / semi liquid glue (you know ... like those white bottles of Elmers, or even Mod Podge). It would probably work really well if I had the time, patience, tools, and skill to use it.

I tried using Elmers to make cards ... but I didn't have a way to spread the glue evenly, so the occasional clumping and air bubbles made for irregular results.

I also tried using Mod Podge to make a game board (both as adhesive and sealer) ... took forever to dry ... and even when it was "dry", it was still kinda sticky.

If you make a lot of stuff, I'd suggest investing in a cutting board and a rotary cutter. Hold on ... lemme find a link to the one I got ...

edit: here it is.

Fiskars Rotary Cutter
Stormtower wrote:
Update ... I bought the rotary shown below...
Hungadunga wrote:

And I also got a magnetic cutting board, which came with a magnetic ruler and small magnets that help hold the paper sheets down.

It works pretty well; but I'd eventually still want to get some kind of see-through ruler for the cases where I'd need to align something, and being able to see what's under the ruler does help. I have one from a school supply sale, but it's not a clear acrylic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I would, but I have no money right now. That would be so nice. Maybe I can borrow one from a friend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
board_game_freak wrote:
Yeah. I would, but I have no money right now. That would be so nice. Maybe I can borrow one from a friend...

Convince mom / girlfriend / wife that they absolutely need it for their paper crafts. You might even get a corner rounder and a 1 inch circle punch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Silver
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my mom has a great rotary cutter. It is so sharp, it can cut your skin with hardly an pressure (I can testify to that). And a cutting board. But she uses that for sowing, and is kind of, protective, about her stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.