Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb

Is it possible for the Union to place actual SP's on the Far West map? It doesn't appear they have any VP cities there! Are they limited to just the 1 SP in New Mexico Territory, and have to physically march SP's from Missouri onto the Far West map if they want to utilize actual SP's? I know they can place Tribal Indians on the Far West map, but those are obviously useless at dealing with depots or CSA SP's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kyle - there are not many players who play with Far West, but I have and occasionally still do.

You are correct. The 1 Union SP in New Mexico is all you get and unless you can somehow convert New Mexico (not possible without a leader, due to the fact that El Paso, TX, has to be occupied for the conversion), you can't receive SP reinforcements there. Even then, you would have to use Discretionary SP reinforcements that arguably are better spent elsewhere.

The Far West game is more or less about the Indian raids, and for CSA Stand Watie can be a fun addition. The New Mexico game never really took off for me and I never considered the 2 VP worth all the work it would take to convert the state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davis Stringer
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bigbadscrubb wrote:
Hi Kyle - there are not many players who play with Far West, but I have and occasionally still do.

You are correct. The 1 Union SP in New Mexico is all you get and unless you can somehow convert New Mexico (not possible without a leader, due to the fact that El Paso, TX, has to be occupied for the conversion), you can't receive SP reinforcements there. Even then, you would have to use Discretionary SP reinforcements that arguably are better spent elsewhere.

The Far West game is more or less about the Indian raids, and for CSA Stand Watie can be a fun addition. The New Mexico game never really took off for me and I never considered the 2 VP worth all the work it would take to convert the state.

Out of curiosity Fred, just how would you enter said reinforcements and why does NM being Union controlled make any difference with no VP cities? The only scenario I can think would be an army.

Interestingly enough, I did play a game once that had 2 armies that ended up in an epic struggle (more for pride than anything else) over the 2 VP with battles on the far west map involving up to 50K-60K total combatants at times! It was a blast just for being different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way to get more Union SPs to New Mexico is to walk them there. It takes a leader, since you have to cross through enemy territory (Texas). I can't imagine that the project is worth the candle. I have converted NM as the CSA by sending a leader to join with a second CSA SP, each moved to El Paso independently before marching off to defeat the Union SP. It was a ridiculous amount of effort for 2 VPs, but it's fun to try everything once I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
If the Union attacks one of the Texas ports, you can take the Texas militia in El Paso. Then you can send out a leader to convert New Mexico with these two SP's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
marcory wrote:
If the Union attacks one of the Texas ports, you can take the Texas militia in El Paso. Then you can send out a leader to convert New Mexico with these two SP's.

State militia must appear in a VP city, if there is one available (see 16.2) You could take the militia in San Antonio and start walking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.