Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Harder
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of earlier posts on Thug Cards in general where the Bust a Speakeasy card is played by Player A to shut down a speakeasy where they have just been paid. But the posts seem to conflict. I would like clarification on the following situation.

Truck Lineup
*** Player A
** Player B
** Player C
* Player D

Case 1
Player A gets paid off.
Player A plays Bust a Speakeasy on the speakeasy
Players B-D don't get paid
Right?

Now, what if, Player D plays Investigation.
Who gets paid? or does Case 2 apply?

Case 2
Player A gets paid off.
Player A plays Bust a Speakeasy on the speakeasy.
Player B doesn't get paid.
Player C doesn't get paid
Player D plays Investigation
Player D gets paid?

My rules take is that if Player D plays Investigation, the Bust is nullified for everyone and everyone gets paid in order.
ie:Case 2 isn't correct.

My mobster take is "Tell da driver to wait until da chumps in front of 'em have dumped their load - then I'll cash in a favor with the G-men to call off da bust."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the rules take is correct, since you don't really step through the shipments. Also, the cards reads, "Play on a Thug card that has just been played", in that it is nullified immediatly.

I got another good one: I play my truck on a speakeasy. Another player plays "G-Men Bust a Shipment" on that truck. All crates go away. Another player plays "Hey, Free Truck" on me, takes the truck, loads his crates, and places it on a speakeasy on his turn. As far as I can tell, all the moves are good, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harder
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, p. 17 of the FAQ in the rules (first paragraph) says you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harder
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now here's part 2 to the conundrum.

Truck Lineup
*** Player A
** Player B
** Player C
* Player D

Case 1 with Big Payoff
Player A gets paid off.
Player A plays Bust a Speakeasy on the speakeasy
Players B-D don't get paid for unloading
Player D plays Big Payoff and gets the graft for Player A's delivery.

Right?
The reasoning is based on page 11 where the graft payoff is third.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerosa wrote:
Jason, p. 17 of the FAQ in the rules (first paragraph) says you are correct.

Duh, so it does.

For your situation, that doesn't work. All Big Payoff gives you is Controlling Influence. (Read the 5th Paragraph of p.17) Controling influence of a closed speakeasy doesn't do you any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harder
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason -

Well, if Case 1 is correct (Player A gets the cash for the load then shuts down the Speakeasy), then money has been paid and graft should be paid even if it is for a "partial" dockload.

The earlier posts on this conflict (in my opinion). Don said somewhere in this that the INTENT was to have a speakeasy open or closed. However, deeper in the posts, folks touted this particular move.

Obviously, I am confused, so reposted this as clearly as I could hoping to get a definite answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm thinking Case 1 isn't correct either, since I think a Speakeasy should be either open or closed. It wouldn't make sense to get paid off for a partial shipment, then have the speakeasy close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harder
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think it does make sense.

Here you are in the *** dock unloading your booze. You have the Bust card. Maybe you don't have controlling influence so don't care about that. The next unload by Player B,C, D is going going to put someone over over $100K. You get your payoff, make a quick phone call to the Feds and the Speakeasy is closed. I'm sure the Feds interrupted many-a situation like that.

bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you have to read the text of the card for bust a speakeasy.It says"Play on an open speakeasy.That speakeasy is closed for one round only.Can be played on o'malleys."It says in the text one round only.A round consist of all 6 phases so if someone plays that card no one should get paid.So you should play that card before anyone ships any whiskey.Just my two cents plus how i am going to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harder
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph -

Good argument.
But a speakeasy can be closed at the beginning of a round and then opened during Phase 2 when enough influence markers are put on - AND it can be closed if the influence markers drop.

I might buy the argument that the "Bust" card must be played at the beginning of Phase 5, but that might open another can of worms with other cards.

There is also a note by Don under "Thug Cards" that says the intent is the speakeasys are either open or closed....but the context appears similar to this posting.

Frankly, I was hoping someone "in authority" would weigh in on the original post and make a definite statement.

I'm inclinded to still let that card and others to be played at any time....and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.