Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
it is not equal to either of those games being that it is not co-op. It is basically a 2 player minitures game (wouldn't play with 3 or 4).

I guess the thing it does have in common is the modular board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how tactical and detailed you like your games. Both Castle Ravenloft and Zombicide are very light in the detailed side of a tactical game. Earth Reborn has an amazing level of detail, and after one game, it doesn't even seem overwhelming (it does before that first game, but it's so natural and intuitive that it just makes sense). But if you don't care about miniature facing, or having many options of what figures can do, or being able to search for items, or having blind bluffing games with your opponents, then you may not like Earth Reborn.

I have all three games mentioned, and while I like them, Earth Reborn for me is a *lot* better of a game. I would play this non stop if I could. Problem is, I never have the time nor the players to play it with, while a quick game of CR or Zombicide is always in the works. CR/Zombicide are your popcorn flicks, your beer & pretzel games. Earth Reborn is the meaty substance that gamers stride towards...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thing that separates Earth Reborn from just about every game out there. It is more than just a tactical miniature skirmish game. It is basically the ultimate scenario generating game.

The level of detail is absolutely stunning here. If the map has the generator room, you CAN turn off the power and it will effect the rest of the game. If you're looking for a certain item, you can actively search for it in the rooms you would expect to find it. If you're playing a guy with a buzzsaw arm, he will be able to cut his way through walls and doors. And so on and so on.

Where the game really shines is that you can generate random maps, random scenarios, and end up with tons of cool options. The downside is that setup can take a little while, but it's well worth it.

This is really an amazing game, but it's also a game where many players will feel overwhelmed. It is certainly more complex than any of the games you mentioned, and that's not meant as a light on them. It's just how they're different.

The game's only weakness is the limited number of characters available to each side, but then again, there's so much good stuff here, even playing with the same teams never quite feels like the same game twice.

Seriously, an amazing game if you take the time to learn it. And a very unique one.

Damn. Now I want to dig it out and play it again.

You're going down, Salemites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Earth Reborn is amazing in almost every aspect - except the lack of further support/expansions.

Components are top notch, rules are clear with good examples, gameplay is awesome. From all the games i own and played, this is the most overlooked / underrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is amazing, and I've only explored it in part (done the scenarios up to and including IPS lines). You can do a lot of things you can't do in other skirmish games:

...you can activate a lot of items, for example you can use the zombie serum syringe on a corpse, either in the graveyard or one of the dead character to turn it to a zombie

...or you can activate whole rooms you can use the consoles on the missile room to start the missile countdown, that usually is worth a lot of points at the end... but another character in the generator room can turn the power down to slow the countdown timer!

...or you can explore, torture, capture, scramble radio communications and lot and lot more!

This game also seems to have an almost infinite replayability thanks to the Scenarios Automatet Generation System (i think that's the name, the acronym is SAGS).
I found it at a good price, bought it and I must say that this is one of the games that I'm happy the most for buying it.

jjloc wrote:
it is not equal to either of those games being that it is not co-op. It is basically a 2 player minitures game (wouldn't play with 3 or 4).

I've played three times, always with 4 players. This game is great with 3-4 players too, but I think that it really shines in 2p. Downtime though is not really an issue even with 3-4 because you must always pay attention to your opponents' moves because they may be interrupted with a cool "action token" bid system, if they are doing something nasty to one of your character.

TylerDax wrote:
For me Earth Reborn is amazing in almost every aspect - except the lack of further support/expansions.

Components are top notch, rules are clear with good examples, gameplay is awesome. From all the games i own and played, this is the most overseen / underrated.

This is truly an underdog in the board game world!
About expansions, as a lot of peolpe say, this game is so much stuffed of things inside it that it seems a game with already 2 expansions included.

In conclusion: just buy it, you'll never regret!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing this game really needs is a character expansion pack. We don't really need more boards, more cards, more rules, we just need a light variety of extra characters.

I love 4 player SAGS, just amazing the kind of narratives that spring forth from a completely random game, including board setup. I also love that you can pretty much do anything in the game, as mentioned before. Don't like that wall, tear it down! Need to use the toilet? Go ahead. Want to 'extract' some information from an enemy? Here's a whip!

Such a great game...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever play x-com? or Fallout tactics? or Jagged Alliance 2 ?

pretty great games eh?

Well this one is better. And it's a board game to boot. No electricity required.

If any game needed to have a pc or app version. It's this game.

There's nothing really like this game on the market. All other contenders are much lighter and fail to spit out the kind of narrative this game creates.

This is a, " remember that time when Jeff dealer managed to escape outside with the door key only to have Frank bash through the wall and pound him into the ground. And jack saw managed to rush Vasques and cut into the room she was in but only to manage to have her escape through the hole when Frank sacrificed himself to block Jack? yeah, that was awesome", type of a game.

That said it requires a bit of a commitment and a 40 page rule book read. The pay off is worth it. Make sure you can find someone willing to play this game with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Staugaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
Penguin
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great thread to remind me why I smile lovingly every time I notice ER on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If any other reason (all of them?) why to worship/or dislike/ the ER is 'just a relative' one (matter of personal perspective, tastes and previous experiences)..
..then this reason "fact":
pixel pusher wrote:

There's nothing really like this game on the market.

..REALLY needs to get highlighted as being an 'absolute' fact, sort of 'technically speaking'.

This quote should be pointed out in the 'more info' section at ER page here on BGG, I guess.

ER4EVER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stoklas
Slovakia
Banská Bystrica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why u should buy this game? Simply? Earth Reborn is the best game you have chance to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game does not suck. Buy it. You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for reminding me why I must work to get this to the table more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do not know any other game where the first scenario is fun even though it covers only some of the basic rules. You can do almost anything in the game yet it hangs together well.

Also what you get in the box for the price is incredible. This is the only game where I bothered to paint the miniatures. The game is under rated in my opinion purely as people on BGG mainly focus on Euros. Even then standing at 56 is very good.

So if you like the idea of a strong, fun tactical miniatures game with a decent level of complexity yet easy to learn you can't go wrong for the price in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDRES PALACIOS
Colombia
BOGOTA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Zombicide, but I think it´s a good game. Castle of Ravenloft, its a very very very light game.

If you dont like complex games dont buy it,otherwise, you have been waiting too much to buy this game. Its Really AWESOME!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
If you have it on your radar, target it and press the add to basket and then the checkout buttons for a roller coaster ride you have never had.

This is the game ALL my gaming buddies have fond memories of and will play anytime.

In my collection, this is the one game that has my heart.
All the rest are just games in comparison....

If I was to sell my collection, it would be the last to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.