Subject: Considering moving to Idaho... Gaming stores and places? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Baker
United States
Carlsbad
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Hey-You Looked! Been on BGG for a couple years and just getting around to this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have an opportunity up near Sandpoint, Id. She and I were talking- no I was talking and she was listening- about things for us to do and I was looking for possible gamers and game shops.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Cal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's beautiful and if you like to ski, you're set. However, I'm not aware of any gamers or gamestores in Sandpoint. A buddy of mine lived up there for a while and I think he managed to find a few games of Chess here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There actually is a small game store, Another World, and they host primarily Magic and D&D events and content with a small but decent selection of board games.

I believe there is a group that plays chess on Sundays at Evan's Brothers, the local Coffee roasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandpoint is on one of the most majestic lakes in the Northwest, Pend Oreille lake. The lake is also very deep and was/is home to a submarine base. You won't find a more beautiful place to live.

Besides boating, fishing, camping, etc. Sandpoint is close to many of the best hiking trails in Idaho and Eastern Washington. I just hiked and picked huckleberries at Engle Peak and Engle Lake. Other fabulous hikes in the area include Harrison Lake, Beehive, Star Peak, Hall Mountain and West Fork.

If you like to snow ski or cross country ski, the best ski mountain, Switzer is right up the road. And a really cool theme park, Silverwood is close by. It has many rollarcoasters and a water park where I spend a whole day at and skip all the rides, because I love the wave pool with the 4 foot waves.

As for gaming there's a couple of good game stores in Spokane with a good local gaming group. I'm not sure about gaming in Sandpoint or Coeur d' Alene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Couer D'Alene has an excellent FLGS, Strategy & Games, at the Silver Lake Mall. About 45 min from Sandpoint.

Uncle's in Spokane is world-class (or at least best in state), but unfortunately about 90 min away so it's harder to connect with, logistically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope you like 4 seasons with summer being the shortest of the bunch in an average year and about 6-7 months of solid overcast crap rain and snow. Other than that, its pretty darn perfect.

FLGS are slim pickings up here. S&G is nice with decent selection buts its hard to pay their absolute straight up MSRP prices over and over again and they usually are a little slow at carrying the the newest stuff.

Not really a fan of Uncles at all. Also MSRP also slow at new stuff and both their stores (Spokane Valley and downtown Spokane) are jammed with tables where most of the boardgames sit and its impossible to browse on weekends. I mean literally sometimes you simply can't get through to browse and when you do cram your way in its uncomfortable at best. My wife won't even bother looking anymore when we stop by and the tables are jammed.

Gamer's Haven in Spokane Valley seems to be becoming nothing but Magic and miniature games. Their board game selection was never great but at least they stocked some of the newest stuff occasionally, but every time I go there it appears they have less and less boardgames.

I like Merlyn's best (downtown Spokane). They are the best at staying up to date with the newest stuff and are not straight up MSRP. Its a hike from Sandpoint but if you live in Sandpoint you are pretty much guaranteed to visit CDA and Spokane once in a while.

I have no idea what's best in Idaho as I assume its has to be down south somewhere and I've never been to any FLGS in southern Idaho, but IMO best in state in WA is Olympic Cards and Comics (western WA). Best FLGS I've been to in the states so far matter of fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
I hope you like 4 seasons with summer being the shortest of the bunch in an average year and about 6-7 months of solid overcast crap rain and snow. Other than that, its pretty darn perfect.

FLGS are slim pickings up here. S&G is nice with decent selection buts its hard to pay their absolute straight up MSRP prices over and over again and they usually are a little slow at carrying the the newest stuff.

Not really a fan of Uncles at all. Also MSRP also slow at new stuff and both their stores (Spokane Valley and downtown Spokane) are jammed with tables where most of the boardgames sit and its impossible to browse on weekends. I mean literally sometimes you simply can't get through to browse and when you do cram your way in its uncomfortable at best. My wife won't even bother looking anymore when we stop by and the tables are jammed.

Gamer's Haven in Spokane Valley seems to be becoming nothing but Magic and miniature games. Their board game selection was never great but at least they stocked some of the newest stuff occasionally, but every time I go there it appears they have less and less boardgames.

I like Merlyn's best (downtown Spokane). They are the best at staying up to date with the newest stuff and are not straight up MSRP. Its a hike from Sandpoint but if you live in Sandpoint you are pretty much guaranteed to visit CDA and Spokane once in a while.

I have no idea what's best in Idaho as I assume its has to be down south somewhere and I've never been to any FLGS in southern Idaho, but IMO best in state in WA is Olympic Cards and Comics (western WA). Best FLGS I've been to in the states so far matter of fact.

??? 6-7 months of solid overcast... ???

Not sure where you're getting that, but I've lived in the area for 52 years and I think you got us mixed up with Seattle. We have beautiful long summers June thru August, and excellent weather in September, October and sometimes into November. The best hiking weather we get is in September and October.

I should know. I hike year round within a 150 miles radius of Spokane, including snowshoeing. And I've never ever seen 3 months of solid overcast let alone 6-7. Sheesh.

And I've never heard anyone else complain about a game store being too busy and that their tables are too full promoting and running games. Uncles does an excellent job supporting the hobby, carrying lots of different games and running all kinds of tournaments and game sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brogdon
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolkster wrote:
Selurevad wrote:

Not sure where you're getting that, but I've lived in the area for 52 years and I think you got us mixed up with Seattle. We have beautiful long summers June thru August, and excellent weather in September, October and sometimes into November. The best hiking weather we get is in September and October.

I should know. I hike year round within a 150 miles radius of Spokane, including snowshoeing. And I've never ever seen 3 months of solid overcast let alone 6-7. Sheesh.

And I've never heard anyone else complain about a game store being too busy and that their tables are too full promoting and running games. Uncles does an excellent job supporting the hobby, carrying lots of different games and running all kinds of tournaments and game sessions.

Agreed. I live in Moscow and my main complaint is that summer is TOO long, and Uncle's in Spokane is by far the best store in the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theaty Hannington
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't beat the outdoors activities around here, like Wolkster said.

I'm not the biggest fan of Strategy and Games, personally, and prefer Uncle's. But I don't go in there on Weekends.

Moscow has a great game store with Safari Pearl.

I'll ask my Sandpoint friends what's what up there. I'm sure a group would form, but I don't know if one exists yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider posting in the USA - West subforum here to get additional answers.....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/101/boardgamegeek/west

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK about Idaho but I have lived in very small towns before (New England and the Deep South). I've also lived in one of the largest cities in the nation, also medium cities etc.

Wherever you are, you really just make your own life. Making friends in a city does not come automatically. I've definitely loved being able to go to game stores, but honestly I've not been short of people to play with in towns without one. There might be some gamers in the making or some pre-existing lonely gamers.

Anyway, all that just to say that, don't let a lack of an established gaming community keep you from pursuing an opportunity that is otherwise right for your family. Small towns can have a very positive environment (alas they can also be highly toxic but same with cities really).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snapdragon23 wrote:
IDK about Idaho but I have lived in very small towns before (New England and the Deep South). I've also lived in one of the largest cities in the nation, also medium cities etc.

Wherever you are, you really just make your own life. Making friends in a city does not come automatically. I've definitely loved being able to go to game stores, but honestly I've not been short of people to play with in towns without one. There might be some gamers in the making or some pre-existing lonely gamers.

Anyway, all that just to say that, don't let a lack of an established gaming community keep you from pursuing an opportunity that is otherwise right for your family. Small towns can have a very positive environment (alas they can also be highly toxic but same with cities really).
QFT. At one time, I was VERY reluctant to leave a region due to a plethora of gaming. A couple of gaming groups dissolved, but I also left because at some point, I was willing to give up gaming if it meant having a job again.

Another curveball is if a gamer has kids, gaming will likely get cut back sharply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wolkster wrote:

To each their own. Lived here 40 years and long since tired of the October thru April BS weather. But that isn't what this thread is about anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.