R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
… And I Love Pyro – A session report.

Time is getting short, so play tests get more play, less taking appointments or photos.

Also, poor conditions, no way I'm getting the living room table for play tests, my wife would probably put me out and my son would colorize my STA tokens for sure (maybe an improvement over my black and white tokens, I don't know...).
Before, I take two or three hours top to make a session, now I play whenever I can, every 10 minutes count.
Just mounted a wood board over my reading chair and place the components over it. My study looks a battlefield with lose manuals, factions, cutters, half done boards...

Lets go to the game itself. Order against echo.
Order seem a brutal faction, all other seem feeble by comparative, but somehow I already spotted Pyro, two well placed Pyro's and nobody could pass, combined with two Psion and we have a very dangerous team. Add more Nether Tech and I have a balanced team.

So order goes first.
I just had received Order faction to test and develop, so I barely read it, so I decide to chose less characters ( even so I had to keep looking to the faction booklet to check the abilities).
I ended with a classical “aliens” movie approach, 3 veteran carnage and 2 Nethermancer veterans, preparing to pop some thrall by surprise (eh eh, how the hell I going to surprise myself I don't now).
Total 43 points.

Now the Echo:
I love Pyro... so 2 veteran Pyro, and I Psion are well demanded healers, so more 2 veterans and 2 veteran Nether techs.
Total 42 Points (yes... I didn't plan this, I was thinking I would have to adjust the points after)

Game play:
Easy strategy by Echo: hide psions, make ranged attacks with nether tecks and if some dude get near, pyro move in and burn it. Psions heals after.
Easy stragegy by ordes: chase enemy units with carnage, pop thrall near engaged carnage to get horde bonus and immediate thrall attack and use nethermancers heals between nethermancers

Echo moved as quick as possible to cover psion, but carnage get near nether techs quite fast, and killed one as horde, pyro wiped out the 2 carnages while psion recovered pyros, surviving nether tech killed nether mancer after it pops two thralls. Again, pyros wiped thralls. The last nethermancer pops a thrall near the carnage that scores an unbelivable full hit score, killing one Pyro (NOOOOOO...) but then is burned (and the thrall) to the ground, nether tech shoots the nether mancer. At this point all Echo units are fully health, Psions didn't have much trouble after the dead of two carnages.

I there are buildings in the board that deny LOS, then I think echo will win with some regularity...

Now for development: 6 wr on psion is way to much. Solutions: make some healing test, like trow the remaining of wr – distance of the character to heal, if any dice score 5-10, heal one point. Or simple reduce the distance to 3 or 4. Or consider calculating the distance as MOV, if you pass by elevated or difficult terrain reduce 2 instead of one in range.
I'm going to hate myself in the morning, but, 5x3 pyro area attack is a little strong. Maybe a weirder area like a 3.5.3 would be better
XXX
XXXXX
XXX

And I'm not saying that because Pyros... because I love Pyro.

Great game, great factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the Psion had to make an RC roll to heal if their LoS was blocked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What if the Psion had to make an RC roll to heal if their LoS was blocked?

Nice and easy, I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nice and easy, I like it.

Officially integrated into the new version of Echo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I included more about this in the Echo Faction review thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.