Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Varga
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made some modifications to the game - both in rules and card text.
On the game's page the links are already updated.
http://dreamlandscardgame.wordpress.com/

Some cards got modified to balance them a bit or to simplify their use, some because during playtest they were never chosen, and I wanted to try something else for them. You may actually end up preferring their older version, if so, write me about it. Also, I wanted to give the Nightmare a bit more impact. Here's what changed:

- Rules -

- I've added some images to the rulesbook to make things easier to understand.
- The Nightmare got a major change: now a Nightmare occurs when the 5th token is placed on the Nightmare card. And it's a two-step Nightmare: the 5th token increases the Difficulty of all Trials by 1, the 6th token by 2.
But it's not possible to go straight from no Nightmare to level 2 Nightmare, you have to stop at 5 no matter how many tokens you add at the same time.
- The old, milder Nightmare stayed in as an option.
- The number of Dream tokens the players get: 10 in the first round, 4 in all consecutive rounds. (That is all they get. It was a bit ambiguous before because I wrote the starting tokens in both the setup and the first Preparations phase which might have suggested to get twice as many, but that's not the case! it's only 10.)
- The first player should be the one with fewer Dream tokens, that helps him a bit when bidding.
- The Location's Reward is awarded if at least 3 Trials are successful instead of 2.
- The Gold Trials now act as Joker when you count if you have 3 of the same kind for the extra VP at the end of the game.

- Friends -

Enai the Trickster: [remained Tough][replaced old text with] Discard a card from your hand to trigger the effects of an Item you have just used twice in a row.

Fjoll Uudlo: [added text] He may also wield Rogue Items.

Qealah the Enchanter: [corrected text] If you play a Mystic or Warrior Deed, place it aside instead of discarding it....

Ravee the Storyteller: [added text] You may overbid you opponent by bidding the same amount as he did.

Skai Naraxa: [became] Fierce. [replaced old text with] If he participates in a Trial, lower its Difficulty by the number of your Hazened Friends. (once per trial)

Thalax the Pathfinder: [remained Scout] [replaced old text with] If he is at home, he is also Inventive. You may face any one of your Trials before your first one.

Trask the Wraith: [remained Inventive] [replaced old text with] If any of your Inventive Friends gains a , you may place it on their card. Your Friends can discard a from their card to get +1 to all abilities for a Trial.

Ulthar Cat: [corrected text] When he joins you, you may either add or remove 2 Nightmare tokens.

- Entity -

Abominations: [replaced old text with] Your participating Friends who are at Home here increase the Difficulty by 1 instead of lowering it.

Assassins: [replaced old text with] If you succeed at a Trial, but you don’t have a Lucid Friend among those that do not participate, one of your participating Friends becomes Lost.

Ghouls: [replaced old text with] During a Trial, if your die roll is higher than the number of tokens on the Nightmare track, add 1 Nightmare token.

Priests: [replaced old text with] The color of this Trial is the same as the one with the highest Difficulty on your Essence card.

Serpent People: [corrected text] Increase the Difficulty of green Trials by 1 [instead of 2]

Skinchangers: [replaced old text with] No more than 2 of your Friends can participate in a Trial.

Sorcerers: [replaced old text with] If you fail a Trial, you automatically fail your next Trial as well (don’t even choose participating Friends).

Undead: [replaced old text with] If no Friend with Focus 2 or lower participates in a Trial, increase its Difficulty by 1.

- Location -

at Dylath-Leen Ports: [corrected text] ...or give it to a Friend immediately.

at Kra River Marsh: [replaced old text with] If you have any Hazened Friends, increase the Difficulty of your Trials by 1.

at The Onyx Watchers: [corrected text] ...(once per Adventure).

at The Ruins of Ib: [replaced old text with] Only 1 Friend can take this Trial. He can use any Ability. The Difficulty of this Trial is 0.

at the Vaults of Theelys: [replaced old text with] If you Fail a Trial, discard all cards from your hand.

- Item -

Jade Dirk: [replaced old text with] Hazen to turn wielder Lucid.

- Deeds -

Danger Sense: [replaced old text with] Play if you fail a Trial. Participating Friends don’t get Lost or become Hazened.

Light of Dawn: [replaced old text with] For the rest of this turn, all direct and indirect effects of Nightmare are ignored for you.

Words of Mourning: [corrected text] Play when one of your Friends becomes Lost *due to a Failed Trial.

Also, the duplicated Rogue Deed is Diversion instead of Element of Surprise.

the Hungarian version already contains all these changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varga
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made yet another small change:

to Richard Upton Pickman (Friend)

I've added
"If it's not yet a Nightmare,
after each of your Trials you may add 1 Nightmare token."

because he seemed too strong with the new 2 level Nightmare rules, he shouldn't be able to pump the Nightmare from 5 to 6 by himself.

This change appears only in the Artscow set at the moment (which I've brought up to date just now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Allan
msg tools
Hi
can you explain the card terms 'Hazen' and 'Lucid', as these are not mentioned in the rulebook.
I'm assuming 'Hazen' to mean turn character card 90 degrees, and that 'Lucid
means turn character card upright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varga
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Neil,

Oh yeah, it was the terminology of an earlier version.
then later I thought it was a silly way of trying to make the game unique so I rather corrected them to the more usual-sounding "exhausted" and "ready". that was easier to translate too.

sorry for the confusion!!

anyway the Printerstudio version is totally up to date, you don't need this thread if you use that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Allan
msg tools
Hi (again) ((from Scotland)),
Thankyou for the speedy reply and info. New to Boardgamegeek so only now finding these great print and play games-hence following an old thread.
I love card games and now can't wait to play it - the cards are printed, I just need to cut them out.

All the best.

Neil Allan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varga
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oh all right! well if there are any inconsistencies with the latest version, the game is still absolutely playable, only some cards may be a bit unbalanced but it's not necessarily noticable either.
(fyi as you correctly guessed, in the earlier version Lucid was Ready and Hazened was Exhausted.)
Thank you very much for your interest in the game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.