12 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Virus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Toñia
msg tools
Hey everyone,

I keep seeing that Crypsis is a powerful card and I understand why it is in terms of general icebreaking but I don't understand the virus part. How do virus counters work in Netrunner? I've looked in the rulebook and I don't understand how and what/when to place them. If someone could give me a quick scenario, I'd be so thankful!

Also, when advancing an ice like Hadrian's Wall and the corp decides to use a certain amount of credits to try and stop the runner and the runner jacks out, the corp actually loses those credits to the credit pool since they strengthened it right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the cards we've seen so far, cards of type virus are simply cards which can end up with virus counters on them some way or other. But the type could be called "foo" and the counters be called "bar counters" it doesn't really matter.

You only place virus counters on cards when a card effect instructs you to.

When cards are advanced, those advancement tokens do not go away upon encounter or access (depending on if you're talking about ICE or assets/agendas). So the advancements on Hadrian's Wall do not go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify a bit about Crypsis, the idea is that you should pre-load Crypsis with clicks to put virus counters on it. If you don't do this, Crypsis will trash itself when you use it (since the choice is remove a virus counter or trash Crypsis).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
intheend wrote:
Hey everyone,

I keep seeing that Crypsis is a powerful card and I understand why it is in terms of general icebreaking but I don't understand the virus part. How do virus counters work in Netrunner? I've looked in the rulebook and I don't understand how and what/when to place them. If someone could give me a quick scenario, I'd be so thankful!

Also, when advancing an ice like Hadrian's Wall and the corp decides to use a certain amount of credits to try and stop the runner and the runner jacks out, the corp actually loses those credits to the credit pool since they strengthened it right?

Each virus program describes what its own virus counters do and how they are generated.

Crypsis: Runner may spend [click] to place a virus counter. Virus Counters must be spent if Crypsis is used to break a piece of ICE or Crypsis self trashes.

Data Sucker: Gained on successful Run against a Central Server (R&D, Archives, HQ). Spent 1:1 to lower the strength of a currently encountered piece of ICE.

Medium: Gained on successful R&D Run. Each counter beyond the first grants one additional, optional (must be declared before accessing) access into R&D.

Etc.

These are ALL Virus counters, and susceptible to the Corporations innate ability to spend [click][click][click] to purge all Virus Counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toñia
msg tools
I haven't been using Crypsis right this whole time! This makes sense now. Thank you guys for spelling it out for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
intheend wrote:
I haven't been using Crypsis right this whole time! This makes sense now. Thank you guys for spelling it out for me.

Please share how you were using Crypsis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kwok
United States
California
flag msg tools
intheend wrote:

Advancing ICE works similar to advancing agendas. Costs 1 click and 1 credit. It does not work like a trace where the corp boosts the strength and the runner decides whether to match.

In the case of a trace boost, the corp loses all credits it used to boost the trace strength. However, the runner may not jack out in the middle of a trace. If the runner decides to not match the trace strength, he/she suffers the consequences of the trace. You may need to refer to the timing structure of a run to see exactly when a runner can jack out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toñia
msg tools
I was using Crypsis like a regular versatile icebreaker but I had no idea that it had to be preloaded. So when I install it, do I immediately have to preload clicks on to it or can it be done whenever I like throughout the game?

I knew my partner was advancing Ice wrong! This lead to a heated discussion. She tried to rez her ice and immediately place 5 credits on it as her advancement but I argued that it was just the same as an agenda. So glad to see I was right.

Obviously, I'm a new gamer, hence the lame questions (and gameplay, apparently!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
intheend wrote:

Obviously, I'm a new gamer, hence the lame questions (and gameplay, apparently!)

It's definitely a tricky game to learn, especially for a new gamer. With that said, all of the information to play the game *is* right there in the rules. However, you must read the rules thoroughly before you play the game, while you are playing the game, and after you play the game. The last part is especially important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
intheend wrote:
I was using Crypsis like a regular versatile icebreaker but I had no idea that it had to be preloaded. So when I install it, do I immediately have to preload clicks on to it or can it be done whenever I like throughout the game?

I knew my partner was advancing Ice wrong! This lead to a heated discussion. She tried to rez her ice and immediately place 5 credits on it as her advancement but I argued that it was just the same as an agenda. So glad to see I was right.

We all started at the same place.

Welcome to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"So when I install it, do I immediately have to preload clicks on to it or can it be done whenever I like throughout the game?"

Loading it up with counters is an action like any other you can with a [click], at any time you could spend a click. But you want to do it before you run with it, since you can't do that in the middle of a run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
intheend wrote:
do I immediately have to preload clicks on to it or can it be done whenever I like throughout the game?

Well you can do it whenever you can take click actions (that is, not during a run), as it is a click action. And if you break a piece of ice without it having a virus token on, it dies after that ICE.

That is all, really. Read the card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.