Subject: Lauras Ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riley Smitten
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
Hi geeks
I´ve played two times, and we never had played with Laura Roslin.
I am working on a german port into the Star Trek Universe (because I don´t like BSG at all, but the game is great )and so I´ve read Lauras ability but I don´t understand. Perhaps the reason is my english

When Laura call a vote:

Everyone declare if he want to vote or not.
Everyone who votes submit his die

Okay that was easy, but what´s happening now?

Lauras ability says: "When you call a vote, you may remove any 1 skill die after the votes have been tallied"

So, the only thing that makes sense for me is:
Laura decide which die she takes off the vote before the result is official. The player can retrieve his die when it´s his turn.

But when I read the text it sounds like: When the vote is done (in positive or negative way doesn´t matter) she can choose a die with value +1 and remove it from game, what would be much overpowered because it´s not a one time ability.

So please help me and destroy the grey clouds in my brain
Thx a lot.

Reinhold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soizburger wrote:
Hi geeks
I´ve played two times, and we never had played with Laura Roslin.
I am working on a german port into the Star Trek Universe (because I don´t like BSG at all, but the game is great )and so I´ve read Lauras ability but I don´t understand. Perhaps the reason is my english

When Laura call a vote:

Everyone declare if he want to vote or not.
Everyone who votes submit his die

Okay that was easy, but what´s happening now?

Lauras ability says: "When you call a vote, you may remove any 1 skill die after the votes have been tallied"

So, the only thing that makes sense for me is:
Laura decide which die she takes off the vote before the result is official. The player can retrieve his die when it´s his turn.

But when I read the text it sounds like: When the vote is done (in positive or negative way doesn´t matter) she can choose a die with value +1 and remove it from game, what would be much overpowered because it´s not a one time ability.

So please help me and destroy the grey clouds in my brain
Thx a lot.

Reinhold

Hey Reinhold, after everyone has submitted their dice, Laura can then remove any single die she wants from the board. She could remove a positive die or negative die, thereby skewing the vote whichever way she wanted.

It's not TOO overpowered because she can only use the ability when SHE is the one who calls the vote (on her own turn). When another player calls the vote, Laura's ability is not in play.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
Hey Reinhold, after everyone has submitted their dice, Laura can then remove any single die she wants from the board. She could remove a positive die or negative die, thereby skewing the vote whichever way she wanted.
What happens to that die? Does it go back to the player? Does it stay as spent? Does it come out of play for the rest of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
derrickec wrote:
What happens to that die? Does it go back to the player? Does it stay as spent? Does it come out of play for the rest of the game?

It would not count towards the vote, but it was still submitted. It would stay on the board, spent, until that player retrieved it at the start of their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Smitten
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
Sun is shining again
Thx, Evan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soizburger wrote:

I am working on a german port into the Star Trek Universe (because I don´t like BSG at all, but the game is great )Reinhold

I'm very curious about how that would work. You rarely see the same level of duplicity and paranoia in Star Trek that you see in BSG, and that's really what's driving this game at the core. Are you perhaps doing a DS9/Dominion War retheme with changelings in place of cylons? As a DS9 fan, I personally think that would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Smitten
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Danny,

I´ve thought about, which scenario I can use, to be authentic but a little bit different from the actual theme. First I thought the BORG would be cool because they can assimilate, but the bionical interface is a big problem. After that there qould be Q. They wanted to destroy the human race in history. Why they schouldn´t they try it again and harder. But this is a little too much fiction and wouldn´t happen in Star Trek (i think). The last option i knew was the dominion war (I don´t know the new Enterprise franchise). And yes it´s perfect. Changelings cannot assimilate persons, but they can replace them. So, it´s the bridge between the character of the original game and the re-theme. So, there was one last problem: Why should anyone use Warp (FTL) 5, 6, 7 times? That doesn´t make sense for me. I will replace it with another fact of the dominion war, I don´t want to spoil now
After a few sessions of BSG: Express, I felt that this game is always the same. The whole fascination of this game ist the interaction of the players. Why should a human submit a -2 to a vote? He wouldn´t. But what if he HAS TO? I think it is more interessent, if human are also forced to submit bad dice. I also have an idea for that and I am wondering if it will fit

The greatest problem is the time I have to design the new boards and the cards (Prototype is ready).

Stay tuned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.