Hide
7 Posts

Gearworld: The Borderlands» Forums » General

Subject: War or Not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal A Mander
msg tools
I was wondering how much of this game is a war game. Seems to me that it might run parallel to Clash of Cultures and I was not a big fan of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean how much attacking? About 75%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game it's all about aggression. Constant aggression. It's a player elimination game, more or less. With a smattering of negotiation and trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd say there's more than a smattering of negotiation and trade since the main advantage of trading is being able to place those resources wherever you NEED them on the board, something I don't believe you're able to do any other way. Since location of resources in the game matters, the more trades you're able to pull off, the more likely you are to have the resources you need to build the developments you'll need to both stave off the attacks and build enough Skyworks.

Is it a war game? Yes, in the same vein that Diplomacy is a war game. Is it a war game like Advanced Squad Leader, Combat Commander or World in Flames are war games? NO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
..the main advantage of trading is being able to place those resources wherever you NEED them on the board, something I don't believe you're able to do any other way....

The main advantage is also the biggest disadvantage. We found trading shouldn't be as willy nilly as players think it is in early playings. After a while you find that the most strategic way to play is to withhold trades, and setting up good delivery routes. Of course that only works with seasoned players as the group think for new players is to do as many trades as possible. Then it just becomes a race to building skyworks and ignoring most of the aggression aspects of the game. Which is kind of dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:
hskrfn822 wrote:
..the main advantage of trading is being able to place those resources wherever you NEED them on the board, something I don't believe you're able to do any other way....

The main advantage is also the biggest disadvantage. We found trading shouldn't be as willy nilly as players think it is in early playings. After a while you find that the most strategic way to play is to withhold trades, and setting up good delivery routes. Of course that only works with seasoned players as the group think for new players is to do as many trades as possible. Then it just becomes a race to building skyworks and ignoring most of the aggression aspects of the game. Which is kind of dull.

Agreed. I didn't mean to suggest that the game was mostly trading or more trading than combat, just that it plays a more important role than I thought others were suggesting. To me, the game should neither be glaringly skewed towards either extreme, but somewhere in-between, with variances depending on the play style of the the people playing it. Ultimately, the person that wins might be the player who managed to get more trades in, despite all the combat going on. What do you think? Which aspect is more of a deciding factor in the game, regardless of how much they actually take place in the game? Combat or Trading?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
What do you think? Which aspect is more of a deciding factor in the game, regardless of how much they actually take place in the game? Combat or Trading?

Well I think the game will always come down to group think. If trading is loose, then you have to go with it and hope to complete skyworks faster than the others. If trading is tight, then combat becomes more important, as to get the goods you need is over that next hill. I've played games where both extremes were played.

The trading is like trading in settlers. Some people like to play it with the most minimal trades, if no-trades. Then it comes down to who is the best logistically(e.g. have good products producing). The effect is similar in Borderlands.

I have however found that players usually never play a "balanced" game. As trades or denial of trades has a domino effect. One person goes loose with trades, then everyone has to follow suit or lag behind.

Feast or famine. But that is the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.