Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Corbett
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm designing a game that has a "Find and Hold" mechanic. There is a hidden object in the game that the players need to find. If a player can find it and hold it for three turns, that player wins the game.

I'm not trying to design a unique game, but I'm curious if there are any other games that might have something similar. A "King of the Hill" mechanic could almost be the same thing. At the end of Talisman, you are merely waiting for the other players to die. Please let me know of a game you think might have a similar mechanic.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolling Twenty
United States
California
flag msg tools
If you're talking about stealing...uh...Go Fish? ...sorta?

There's many games that use stealing type mechanics, where sometimes you are forced to give away or discard something you actually want to keep, which I assume from what you described would a mechanic like this might be employed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan has those longest road and largest army cards that are kinda find and hold.

Ticket to ride could be considered a whole bunch of find and hold... you're holding onto 6 red train cards hoping nobody else steals the tracks you plan to take.

7 Wonders could be find and hold... you have an Altar (hold) that could get you a Temple (find), but someone else might draft the temple before you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops has kind of a "King of the Hill" element to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner has a Find-and-Hold type of mechanic... Corporation finds an Agenda from his deck, and attempts to Hold it long enough at a node so he can advance it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy Come, Easy Go

The first player to have 3 prizes in their collection and keep all three through the next two turns wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess has a Find-and-Hold mechanic: you Find your opponent's king and Hold him in check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot, you are trying to hold onto as many carrots as you can until the end of the game, because one of them is revealed at that point to be the Magic Carrot.

The Ares Project has a unique take on King of the Hill in that all players are fighting (from their base) to take "The Frontier". Whoever has the Frontier, can then launch attacks from the Frontier to any player's base. The game's over when one player's base is taken by the Frontier holder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Corbett
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All great suggestions!

I haven't played Android: Netrunner yet, but have read a lot about it.

In my game, the players will be searching various planets for an artifact. Once they find it, the other players will swarm them to try and take it from them. You can hide it on another planet with various traps and defenses. Then you could come back for it when you are tough enough to hold on to it.

I was curious if anybody had likes or dislikes about this mechanic. There will be other more obvious mechanics like point to point movement and variable player powers. I have years of backstory and game flavor text.
It definitely won't be a paste on theme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan Corbett wrote:
All great suggestions!

I haven't played Android: Netrunner yet, but have read a lot about it.

In my game, the players will be searching various planets for an artifact. Once they find it, the other players will swarm them to try and take it from them. You can hide it on another planet with various traps and defenses. Then you could come back for it when you are tough enough to hold on to it.

I was curious if anybody had likes or dislikes about this mechanic. There will be other more obvious mechanics like point to point movement and variable player powers. I have years of backstory and game flavor text.

Sounds cool. I'm racking my head if I've seen it before.

You can playtest this with a deck of cards. Use the full deck, but include just 1 Joker (the artifact)

Face cards can be your traps.

Deal out X cards for each planet, place on map accordingly.

When a player explores a planet, they can take Y number of cards, and exchange planet cards with cards from their hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan Corbett wrote:

It could be interesting and backstory is good, but it sounds like it could be difficult to balance.

It sounds like you would want to make it balanced at the beginning and when the game becomes all vs. one the one player will need some sort of boost to keep from immediately getting swarmed and destroyed. But, at the same time if it gets stolen they can't be so weakened that they can't then take it back. All of this makes me think of archenemy mode in the MTG - duels of the planeswalker 2012 video game.

Odd numbers of players could also be a problem. Since there may consistently be situations in which one player gets the artifact, then another player attacks that player and weakens him and the third player swoops in for the win. That may be fine with a lot of players, but I figure I should mention it.

Also, game length may be highly variable if there is a lot of taking and little holding.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars is a conquest game where to goal is to go out and capture hidden dragon runes with armies or separately questing heroes. Once you have enough to win you reveal them and then have to hold them for one game round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Japan
Fujisawa
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marriage is definitely based on a "Find and Hold" mechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.