Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be backing the Coup Kickstarter and am going to add-on either The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon. I've wanted a copy of the Resistance for sometime now and prefer the dystopian future setting but it sounds like Avalon has more play options. Does the Merlin/Assassin card make up for this or is Avalon really the better choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon set is 2 in 1 because you can always play regular Resistance with the Avalon set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mmazala wrote:
Avalon set is 2 in 1 because you can always play regular Resistance with the Avalon set.

Except that Avalon doesn't come with the plot cards.

After playing Avalon a bunch of times, I prefer regular Resistance. But that's mostly because I always suck at figuring out who Merlin is, regardless of which side I'm on. soblue So If I'm on the good guy side, I don't get any useful information from the Merlin player, and then even if we win, he gets assassinated and we lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
jmzero wrote:
Get Avalon. The components are way better, there's lots more options in terms of roles and rules, and overall it's just plain better.

While I agree that Avalon is the superior game, what do you mean by "the components are way better"? Avalon's components are nearly identical to The Resistance 2nd Edition's, except for the artwork.

To the OP: I'd personally suggest getting Avalon. Once you start playing with Merlin, it won't be long before your play group starts clamoring for more special roles, which Avalon has and The Resistance does not. Now, there's nothing to say that you can't houserule those roles with The Resistance, but it is an additional thing to keep track of. Plus, if you get Avalon with the Kickstarter, you get two more promo modules to add onto the game for even more options.

So in terms of sheer value and replayability, Avalon is the better pick. Since you like the theme of Resistance better, you might want to get both if it's within your budget. Or order Avalon with the Kickstarter (so you get the promos) and find a copy of Resistance locally, it might be cheaper in the long run, plus you get a bit of instant gratification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
Except that Avalon doesn't come with the plot cards.

Avalon (special) roles do similar things in an easier fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the Merlin/Assassin promos bring the Resistance up to the level of Avalon? I'm starting to lean toward Avalon if the Lancelot promos offer more game play options. Still a bit on the fence. I suppose I have 15 days to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flabbergasted wrote:
Do the Merlin/Assassin promos bring the Resistance up to the level of Avalon? I'm starting to lean toward Avalon if the Lancelot promos offer more game play options. Still a bit on the fence. I suppose I have 15 days to decide.

No. I would say it brings you about halfway.

I have both games, and am getting the promos with Coup, so was thinking about trading away Avalon and keeping Resistance with the promos. Mainly because most times I play with newbies who need to learn the rules starting with the easy cards. Yesterday I have a group and we played about 8 games in a row, starting with 2x Resistance, then switched to Avalon to add in Merlin/Assassin and the Lady of the Lake for two or three games (this is the level Resistance will hit with the Coup promos), then added in Mordred, Oberon and Percival for a couple of games, then added in Lancelot and Excalibur! We still didn't use Morgana.

So Avalon has many more roles to add, which are fantastic so long as you play it enough to get your head around them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon also has the roles Percival (good guy who knows who Merlin is), Morgana (bad guy who looks like Merlin to Percival), Oberon (bad guy who doesn't know, and isn't known by, the other bad guys), and Mordred (bad guy who Merlin doesn't know), and with the Avalon promos there are good and evil versions of Lancelot. Plus there's the lady of the lake token which can be used to check players' loyalty.

So Avalon has quite a few more roles than regular Resistance, even with the promo Merlin/Assassin cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be different for everyone as everyone has different tastes.

Personally I prefer the theme of regular Resistance, however the roles are cool in Avalon too. I think they're both great variants on a single base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmzero wrote:
Quote:
While I agree that Avalon is the superior game, what do you mean by "the components are way better"? Avalon's components are nearly identical to The Resistance 2nd Edition's, except for the artwork

I like the different boards for different number of players, the new vote tokens, the custom team/leader tokens,...

Based on your posts, it seems you're unaware of the new edition that gives you all the things you talk about above:

It comes down to this: you can play either game with either copy, but it's MUCH EASIER to play base Resistance with Avalon than the other direction.

Get Avalon and buy The Plot Cards at the Geek Store HERE.

Unfortunately, the Lancelot Promo is out of stock currently. But when you get the chance, it's a fun variant to Avalon. It is found HERE.

FWIW, I much prefer the gameplay of Avalon over vanilla resistance. The roles are magnificent at creating interesting interactions without speed-bumping the game, like I felt happened with the plot cards in vanilla resistance.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
For what its worth, I strongly dislike Lady in the Lake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through this very self debate during the kickstarter, but quickly realised the answer depends on who your main play group is going to be.

For me it's extremely casual gamers, so the resistance version won out. I just can't see my main gaming group being into such a casual game. Take it to the Avalon level and it makes it hard to sell to non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
I went through this very self debate during the kickstarter, but quickly realised the answer depends on who your main play group is going to be.

For me it's extremely casual gamers, so the resistance version won out. I just can't see my main gaming group being into such a casual game. Take it to the Avalon level and it makes it hard to sell to non-gamers.

I think this is untrue. I put them on equal playing fields in terms of introducing them to newbies. In fact, I find vanilla Resistance is harder for non-gamers to grasp because of the plot cards, which are very confusing for inexperienced gamers. Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was having the same internal debate - would love to get Resistance to match the theme of Coup, but seemed like Avalon provides more depth. Thanks for confirming my suspicions! Thumbs all around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up going with Avalon myself. Thanks all for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.