Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Designers: How many opportunities have you gained or lost while trying to create something fun and interesting for others to enjoy?

Is game design pure madness?

What's your take...

Edit:

Opportunities Gained = A Positive Experience

Opportunities Lost = An experience or activity you chose to forgo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you define 'opportunities' please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost how?

Every game designer trying to sell a game to a publisher will sooner or later see games rejected, or just miss this or that fad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Publishers: How many opportunities have you gained or lost while trying to produce something fun and interesting for others to enjoy?

Is game publishing pure madness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
No opportunities lost; I enjoy making - and playing - the creations I make. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Can you define 'opportunities' please?

Any experiences that you have been exposed to or may have passed on because of the time you have spent on game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Japan
Fujisawa
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my life in a nutshell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Lost how?

Every game designer trying to sell a game to a publisher will sooner or later see games rejected, or just miss this or that fad.

Lost in the sense that you could have... or in some cases should have... done something other than game design.

I think we all choose to design because we ultimately want to share our creation with others... and sometimes do so at a cost.

To clarify... game design is an opportunity for me to create... sometimes at the loss of an opportunity to do something else... sometimes it seems like pure madness

What's your take...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only at conventions wherein I could play a game or find playtesters for my game design. This is sometimes a good thing to miss a game, especially if no one at the table has played it or read the rules and they start at that moment to learn it "as they play".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I created five games but never show my games to any publishers.

My gains : I got some new friends when I'm asking strangers to try my games.

My Loss : I lost my chance to play my 50+ video games at home.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:
So far I created five games but never show my games to any publishers.

My gains : I got some new friends when I'm asking strangers to try my games.

My Loss : I lost my chance to play my 50+ video games at home.soblue

See? A win-win situation in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Publishers miss opportunities too! Mainly because illustrators are late, game designers want last-minute changes, and 1000 other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gained a job I love, doing something that I hope will bring some people some happiness.

I've lost the other opportunities I might've persued. I was offered a lot more money to work in advertising or I could have continued into academia as a postdoc and published a bunch of the research I spent the last decade doing.

Everything has an opportunity cost, but at this moment I regret nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
qiagen wrote:
x_equals_speed wrote:

I've lost the other opportunities...or I could have continued into academia as a postdoc and published a bunch of the research I spent the last decade doing.

For me, that's a gain.

I don't miss working from 8am until midnight to desperately get the results needed to secure the funding necessary to keep my job.

[Experience may vary by discipline.]

For me the gain is not having to have documents that go into their thirty eigth draft and still have people arguing over whether it's better to use the word 'decreased' or 'reduced'. I also never want to hear the phrase 'massage the data' again.

On the other hand there are losses. I miss being surrounded by theoretical types who like discussing ideas more than strangers clothes and I genuinely liked coming up with new research methodologies and applying them to find something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Commons
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Greg, when I hear "massage the data", I just stop the meeting and ask, "What do you want the report to say, because I can lie and just put anything on a piece of paper. If you want the truth, you're holding it right now."

I would love to make Game Design my 8-5 gig. Alas, for now it is my 8-12 gig (after I get the kids to bed and as long as I can stay up doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it was for my PhD thesis I didn't have that option, though I would have loved to exercise it. Whatever was in that document was going down with my name on it to be stored in some archive forever. It was more that my supervisors felt that I couldn't sell some of my research as important in the viva without a bit of a nudge. I threw away those parts of the research and passed anyway. I'm quite a purist about this sort of thing (perhaps unbearably so on occassion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer, ultimately, is 42.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.