Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I am a fairly new guy here at BBG and wanted to share my game and get whatever input I could. This is honestly one of my first creative ideas I've shared with people outside of friends and family, but I think I'm ready for some honest outside opinions.

If you want to be reductive, you can call my game a combination of classic slap-jack and a certain three letter game you move tokens around between players. It is pirate themed and pretty quick to play (10-15 minutes). My goal is to make it suitable and fun for almost any age.

Here are the rules:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1flubNWzHmmSXZONmxhUlhIckU/...

Here are the cards (Cut them out along the white border):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1flubNWzHmmZG1VWHVfeHU4T0k/...

The only other thing you need to play is 10 counters per person of any sort and an additional 4 for the initial pot amount. I use poker chips. I suppose you will also need some card sleeves if you want to print it and try it out.

I guess that is all. Please let me know if you have any comments, questions, or just sarcastic remarks. (Obligatory art note: This is all placeholder art done by me and my wife and I realize we aren't artists.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Teehee! It's a butt joke!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the only decision point in the game is whether or not to take your shovel card and slap it on the pile to try and collect the booty in the middle of the table, I think you should make the alternate "Eager Pirate" rule part of the standard rule set, and define the penalty. I would also make it a part of the rules as to where people's hands (other than the dealer) need to be located prior to the card being flipped. On their lap, on the edge of the table, etc. Otherwise there is nothing in the rules saying that you can't hold the shovel at all times, and there is no penalty for slapping it down on the middle pile every time a card is flipped.

Otherwise, the game is essentially LCR: the Card Game, which isn't going to get a lot of positive feedback around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Teehee! It's a butt joke!

No idea what you are talking about. whistle

shanniganz wrote:
Since the only decision point in the game is whether or not to take your shovel card and slap it on the pile to try and collect the booty in the middle of the table, I think you should make the alternate "Eager Pirate" rule part of the standard rule set, and define the penalty. I would also make it a part of the rules as to where people's hands (other than the dealer) need to be located prior to the card being flipped. On their lap, on the edge of the table, etc. Otherwise there is nothing in the rules saying that you can't hold the shovel at all times, and there is no penalty for slapping it down on the middle pile every time a card is flipped.

Otherwise, the game is essentially LCR: the Card Game, which isn't going to get a lot of positive feedback around here.

Thanks for the feedback. There has been a gentleman's agreement that your shovel is sitting on the table and you are not touching it until the card is flipped, which I didn't realize until now.

I am quite aware of the basis of this game as I hinted at in my first post. Although you may not be looking for a game like this, it was a project developed more for the nongamer people I tend to play games with. It was also just a jumping off point, an opportunity to get my feet wet, and all those other metaphors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't trying to be negative. I understand that some games have a specific target audience and it's obvious that you do as well. Games that the standard BGG user loves to hate have made more money than 99% of the games that are even listed on this site. Games like this are often purchased for the experience, not for what the game offers.

I was just trying to convey that it's hard to offer feedback for a game that doesn't have any real decision points. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't continue with the development of the game, but that this forum is not likely to be overly helpful.

So make sure you're playing to the strengths of what this game has to offer. Keep the art style light-hearted and fun, cram as many booty jokes as you can into it, and make sure the shovel cards are durable enough to be slammed into each other/people's hands over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shanniganz wrote:
I wasn't trying to be negative. I understand that some games have a specific target audience and it's obvious that you do as well. Games that the standard BGG user loves to hate have made more money than 99% of the games that are even listed on this site. Games like this are often purchased for the experience, not for what the game offers.

I was just trying to convey that it's hard to offer feedback for a game that doesn't have any real decision points. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't continue with the development of the game, but that this forum is not likely to be overly helpful.

So make sure you're playing to the strengths of what this game has to offer. Keep the art style light-hearted and fun, cram as many booty jokes as you can into it, and make sure the shovel cards are durable enough to be slammed into each other/people's hands over and over again.

Don't worry, I didn't feel like you were being negative at all. In fact, you confirmed a bunch of things I was already thinking about in regards to audience and what exactly the game was. The rules help you gave me is already more than I expected to receive. I just wanted to get a few outside eyes on the idea and start a presence in the forums.

My other problem right now is that I have played a bunch of 2 player games and need larger group experience. I have a few plans locally to increase the playtesting, but any outside help would be tremendous. I'm concerned right now with the ratio of the different types of cards and the dynamics with more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Grab the Booty! - A fast paced card game for pirates. - Playtesting
So I was able to play a handful of games with a larger group (4-5 people). When I get out of work tonight I plan on updating the rules with a few tweaks as noted below.

Here are my notes:
-The comments made here by you guys were astute and proved by playtesting. The rules need a little work to define where people can keep their hands are and where the shovel cards are placed. As the game progressed, everyone was moving closer and closer to the pile with their shovel.

-We did play with the rule that if you misplay the shovel card, you have to put a token into the buried pile. This needs to become an official rule and not a variant because it created a form of bluffing. By quickly moving towards the shovel card, it was possible to get people to misplay. The penalty for this needs to be 3 tokens or more to increase the reward for a successful bluff.

-The group I played with was a range of ages 8, 11, 30s, and 50s. I was happy that everyone caught on to the rules quickly and the kids asked to play again after dinner.

-The color on the art turned out to be much more important than I had realized. A comment I was given was that two of the players looked for the gold color of the treasure as their identifier as to when to Grab the Booty! The Monkey and Parrot cards have a similar color and made them think for a brief moment longer on those cards.

-After finding out that I made the game, the 8 year old wanted to spend the rest of the night making his own games. He made a few and we played them. It was AWESOME!

-I had one shovel card already get bent up in a mad dash to Grab the Booty!

There are two things that I would ask from you guys.
-Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use for a shovel that might be a bit sturdier than a card? I want it to not get bent up, but not be heavy enough to hurt other people as it is slammed into the middle.

-Would it be possible for any of you to print this off and just play it a couple of times in a group of 4 or 5. I won't have the chance to play in a group for a bit and just hoped to get some more feedback. If you have children, that would be an extra plus to get that sort of target audience feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.