Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Multiple A-Wing Rebel Squad? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Ray
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Anyone think there is a point to have multiple A-Wings in a Rebel squad? Most Rebel squads feature 4 ships: which is more successful/ fun: X,X,X,A... OR... X,X,A,A? Reason being is I own two base sets and am going to buy an a-wing once my shop gets them in and was wondering what I should buy for my fourth Rebel ship.

For my Imperial collection I have the 4 TIE from the two base sets and am going to buy 1 TIE A and 1 TIE Intercept.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
Avatar
mb
a-wings have their place. just make sure you are very intentional with their use, and they perform admirably

just used a 5 ship rebel swarm that worked a treat and caused all sorts of headaches for an imperial elite squad and a rebel mirror match

garven, rookie, 3 protoype pilots for 98 points got me initiative and caused all sorts of intentional traffic jams

imho, i'd get the tie expansion asap. howlrunner and backstabber are among the best to field for the imperials, with one or the other (often both) always making an appearance in my builds
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brown
Australia
Ballarat
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I run wedge with r2 astro, elusiveness and stealth
The 3 x prototype a wings, two with assault missiles and one with conclusions

It's pretty effective, in a game yesterday day alone, the 6 pts worth of upgrades kept him alive once over, cheaper than Biggs!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love A-wings.

Tycho+PTL+Homers (34)
Arvel+Homers (28)
Rookie Pilot (21)
Prototype Pilot (17)

This squadron annihilated a Soontir/Avenger/Howlrunner/Obsidian/Academy squadron. (I know ... I was shocked, too.) Homers from Tycho on round 1 crippled the Avenger, and homers from Arvel on round 2 crippled Soontir.

I used the Prototype and Arvel as blockers, and Tycho and the Rookie got down to business. It wasn't particularly quick, but it was decisive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I won our bi-weekly tournament on Monday (admittedly on SoS tiebreakers) with an X,X,A,A list. Took 2 full wins (60 min round time) and 1 draw (both killed each other on the last turn).

Wedge
Rookie
Green Squad -Deadeye -Homing x2

Draw against 2 Firespray
Win against X, Y, YT
Win against 2 Tie, 2 Int
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 4 A-Wings squadron last night and while it was a blast, and their homing missiles packed a lot of punch, once they were out of missiles, I just couldn't wear down a full-health Vader, even with 2 A-Wings remaining.

Here's what I ran: http://x-wing.voidstate.com/view/8089/green-squadron-alpha-s...

Still, it was fun zipping around the board, avoiding vader's arcs with boost or 5 forwards while trying to bring my other ship in from the rear...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
voidstate wrote:
I played a 4 A-Wings squadron last night and while it was a blast, and their homing missiles packed a lot of punch, once they were out of missiles, I just couldn't wear down a full-health Vader, even with 2 A-Wings remaining.

Here's what I ran: http://x-wing.voidstate.com/view/8089/green-squadron-alpha-s...

Still, it was fun zipping around the board, avoiding vader's arcs with boost or 5 forwards while trying to bring my other ship in from the rear...

I've run a very similar list and discovered the same problem. 4 GSPs with missiles just doesn't work. It's fun but, as you say, once the missiles have gone, they've got little left. Part of the problem is that for missiles to be most effective you really need Target Lock + Focus. That could work for someone like Tycho Celchu with PTL but it's not as easy for other A-wings.

At the end of the day, a 4 A-wing squad just doesn't work. And now I'm left with 4 A-wing miniatures. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
At the end of the day, a 4 A-wing squad just doesn't work. And now I'm left with 4 A-wing miniatures. shake


YEah, 1 of the A-Wings died without firing his missile and 2 had to fire with TL only because I was scared the same would happen. Only 1 got TL + focus and that was tricky to line up...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:

At the end of the day, a 4 A-wing squad just doesn't work. And now I'm left with 4 A-wing miniatures. shake


You just need a large gaming group with an entire Saturday to spend running a Death Star Trench scenario. You're totally ready to repeat "Green Squadron standing by." every round after you get those missiles off!

But seriously...I think it would be totally fun to fly a squadron of A-Wings as support to other squads in a large event like that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A-Wings are like interceptors in the sense that they become increasingly better at what they do the higher their pilot skill.

If you want to run a lot of A-Wings, it's probably best to go with Greens over Prototypes, whether or not you use any medals on them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scomatt9 wrote:
Tusken Raider wrote:

At the end of the day, a 4 A-wing squad just doesn't work. And now I'm left with 4 A-wing miniatures. :shake:


You just need a large gaming group with an entire Saturday to spend running a Death Star Trench scenario. You're totally ready to repeat "Green Squadron standing by." every round after you get those missiles off! ;)

But seriously...I think it would be totally fun to fly a squadron of A-Wings as support to other squads in a large event like that.


See this I get! Their role to me is as skirmishers where in the Napoleonic wars. They run forward do some damage and then fall back and harass at the edges! I've want to run a 4 A-wing squad for this very reason!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My next rebel squadron to try is 2A and 2X
Red Squadron pilot (x2)
Green Squadron pilot - push the limit, homing missile (x2)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
My next rebel squadron to try is 2A and 2X
Red Squadron pilot (x2)
Green Squadron pilot - push the limit, homing missile (x2)

The problem I had with this build was drawing close enough to opposing high-PS pilots to fire off the missiles. If I moved slowly, they would hurtle in and narrow the distance but if I hurtled in they would meet me face-to-face. Either way, because of the GSP's low PS, I would move forward and not get a Target Lock while they would then move forward and put one on me, resulting in much A-wing splattery and wasted missiles, especially once the general range-1 dogfightery started in the middle. I possibly wasn't flying them well - more as X-Wings than A-Wings - so maybe this could work with the X-Wings in the main fight and the A-Wings buzzing in and out. But my recent poor experiences with the low-PS A-Wings leads me to think that this isn't a winner.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not use Green Squadron pilots upgraded with Deadeye? That way they just have to Focus to shoot the missiles?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
Why not use Green Squadron pilots upgraded with Deadeye? That way they just have to Focus to shoot the missiles?


I haven't tried it but I like the PTL idea here better because you can TL and focus in the same round, and then spend both on the homing missiles to really make them count.

Then you still have 2 actions per round (after green maneuvers) to hopefully improve the A-wings weak subsequent attacks as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
Why not use Green Squadron pilots upgraded with Deadeye? That way they just have to Focus to shoot the missiles?

Tried it but it still doesn't work. If you want your alpha strike from missiles to be game-changing, you need the focus token to modify your rolls.
Trust me... after buying 4 A-wings, nobody wanted this to work more than me but it doesn't.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
dvang wrote:
Why not use Green Squadron pilots upgraded with Deadeye? That way they just have to Focus to shoot the missiles?

Tried it but it still doesn't work. If you want your alpha strike from missiles to be game-changing, you need the focus token to modify your rolls.
Trust me... after buying 4 A-wings, nobody wanted this to work more than me but it doesn't.


With Deadeye and Homing Missiles, you still keep your Focus to spend to modify the attack dice (but no Target Lock unless you took one on a previous turn or got one from somewhere else - e.g. Dutch or Lando).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
For the Dorkentime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about Cluster Missiles for the extra punch and you don't have to worry about getting too close.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
RecklessFable wrote:
I've been thinking about Cluster Missiles for the extra punch and you don't have to worry about getting too close.

In almost every case, Cluster Missiles provide less punch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
For the Dorkentime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
RecklessFable wrote:
I've been thinking about Cluster Missiles for the extra punch and you don't have to worry about getting too close.

In almost every case, Cluster Missiles provide less punch.


Help me understand that since we are talking about A-Wing which only have 2 attacks.

2 attacks + focus vs 3 attacks twice

It feels like clusters have a much better chance to break through the usual triple evades.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arends
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Quote:
2 attacks + focus vs 3 attacks twice

It feels like clusters have a much better chance to break through the usual triple evades.


There's a number of other threads I've read on this, but my understanding is that Cluster Missiles will do less unless you're attacking a target with very low evades. Also, you have to be at range 1 (where you'd get three rolls for a normal attack) or 2, where as all other projectiles allow longer range shots.

having an additional target lock or a focus would only help with the first cluster missile volley. You're going three attack versus 3 evade (assuming you're using your a-wing to shoot at a tie). All other projectiles allow you to go 4 on 3, plus often modify the results (e.g. concussions change blank to hit). Sorry I don't have the link to the expected damage chart.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cluster missiles attack twice, but you get to defend twice as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Ray
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
I am having a hard time deciding what to get for my 4th rebel ship. I have the 2 X's and one A on the way. Should I go X,X,X,A... X,X,A,A... or X,X,A,Y?

I am not a fan of the Y, but I can see its place in a squad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aray21 wrote:
I am having a hard time deciding what to get for my 4th rebel ship. I have the 2 X's and one A on the way. Should I go X,X,X,A... X,X,A,A... or X,X,A,Y?

I am not a fan of the Y, but I can see its place in a squad.


Are you not a fan of the Y-wings because you have seen them played and didn't like the results, or because you just don't like the ships aesthetically?

I love the Y-wings in this game. I prefer to run them in pairs most of the time in my squad builds. They are very fun in my opinion, and I think better than A-wings. But all the ships are as good as the person using them. If you don't like the Y-wing, you may not use it well.

Also, if you are wanting to purchase another X-wing, consider (if you can) buying a third core set, for the same reason you bought a second core set. That is, UNLESS you really want another of the generic R5 card. I wish I had another one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Ray
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
magadizer wrote:
aray21 wrote:
I am having a hard time deciding what to get for my 4th rebel ship. I have the 2 X's and one A on the way. Should I go X,X,X,A... X,X,A,A... or X,X,A,Y?

I am not a fan of the Y, but I can see its place in a squad.


Are you not a fan of the Y-wings because you have seen them played and didn't like the results, or because you just don't like the ships aesthetically?

I love the Y-wings in this game. I prefer to run them in pairs most of the time in my squad builds. They are very fun in my opinion, and I think better than A-wings. But all the ships are as good as the person using them. If you don't like the Y-wing, you may not use it well.

Also, if you are wanting to purchase another X-wing, consider (if you can) buying a third core set, for the same reason you bought a second core set. That is, UNLESS you really want another of the generic R5 card. I wish I had another one.


I really want to get the 3rd X-wing for Wedge and Garven, that is the main reason I am thinking of going X,X,X,A. As for your question about why I don't like the Y-wing, its more the fact that I like the X-wings, and I LOVE the A-wings.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.