Blake Davis
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am moderating a MK game, and one of the players has a setup he wanted to try, but I am not sure it works the way he thinks. He wants to use a red mana and black mana to power Sacrifice, fine so far. He has three blue crystals and three white crystals, so he wants to gain the Ranged Ice Attack, getting 18 for having three pairs. Also fine.

The disagreement stems from him thinking that the crystals now become mana *tokens* he can use later during his turn. My understanding is that he is spending or 'sacrificing' the crystals, converting them into spent mana.

The card says "Then, turn all these crystal pairs into mana."

Advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As far as I understand it, they turn into mana tokens, yeah. Otherwise it would just tell you to spend the pairs in order to gain the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Davis
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is that I can't find any other card where it says 'convert this into mana' and means mana tokens. The card always is very specific about saying 'mana token'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference:

Quote:
SACRIFICE
Choose green or white, then choose red or blue. Gain Siege Attack 4 (if you chose green) or Ranged Attack 6 (if you chose white) for each pair of crystals of one of each of these colors in your inventory. This Attack is Fire (if you chose red) or Ice (if you chose blue). Then, turn all these crystal pairs into mana.

As I read the card, you get the Attack just by virtue of these crystals being in your inventory; you do not spend the mana to get the effect. (By extension, you cannot use mana tokens or dice to add to the effect.) The mana that you turn the crystals into is yet unused. The sacrifice is that you are committing to use all of that mana this turn, or lose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it the same way, your friend can now use these mana tokens to power other effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpowelltheowl wrote:
I read it the same way, your friend can now use these mana tokens to power other effects.

Ditto. This makes the spell even more overpowered, but that's what it says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, how would this be a "sacrifice" then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Albani
Germany
Achern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vjaas wrote:
Thematically, how would this be a "sacrifice" then?
you sacrifice the crystallised form of the mana, the energy set free this way powers the spell, and the mana is now free but unstable, so it will disappear after the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Davis
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is still what I don't understand. It does make the spell very powerful, first off, which is why I was initially against it. Second, I still cannot find any other card that neglects the use of the word 'token'. All other cards are very specific about saying token when they mean it.

Now, mana in this game consists of crystals, tokens, dice, and a few other things. When you spend a mana die to power a card, you are spending a mana die as mana. This is covered roughly under the Using Mana section of the core rules, page 5.

So when I see, "Turn all these crystal pairs into mana", that reads the same to me as "Turn a die from the source into mana". IE: It gets *used*.

I guess if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It just seems very odd that, considering all the other cards that say "gain a mana token" in some way or fashion, this one does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karui_Kage wrote:
So this is still what I don't understand. It does make the spell very powerful, first off, which is why I was initially against it. Second, I still cannot find any other card that neglects the use of the word 'token'. All other cards are very specific about saying token when they mean it.

Now, mana in this game consists of crystals, tokens, dice, and a few other things. When you spend a mana die to power a card, you are spending a mana die as mana. This is covered roughly under the Using Mana section of the core rules, page 5.

So when I see, "Turn all these crystal pairs into mana", that reads the same to me as "Turn a die from the source into mana". IE: It gets *used*.

I guess if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It just seems very odd that, considering all the other cards that say "gain a mana token" in some way or fashion, this one does not.

I see your point, but ... what would the alternate interpretation be? That 'turning into mana' meant 'lose'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you do indeed lose all of the mana crystals then you are only getting just over 2 ranged per mana at the max conversion, and it is much worse for the smaller conversions. By contrast with either Snowstorm or Fireball you are getting 5 for 1, units like Gunners give 6 for 1, and even basic actions like Swiftness give 3 for 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Davis
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My justification here is that you are getting less of a ratio in terms of conversion at the exchange of such a high attack. Yes, you're only getting over 2 ranged per mana at max, but you can get 18 Ranged attack at max. The other examples are a bit more limited, their max less than half of that. Otherwise, you can essentially gain 18 Attack for 2 mana (red and black), as I can't see the other mana crystals counting when you can still use them *all* for any other cards you want that turn (if as tokens). This makes Sacrifice easily the most powerful Spell in the game in terms of pure damage output.

I think my biggest hangup is just the lack of the word token. Every other card is so *so* clear about it, the lack of it on this one just seems sloppy. My brain instantly wants to think that it means something different. It makes me sad. :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Erb
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mb
While the word "token" might be missing, the card would be very weirdly worded if it really meant you lose the mana. Then it should say something like "then remove these crystals from your inventory". In your example, if you use a die from the source, it is not lost - you actually get the mana to power something with it.

The spell is obviously very powerful in its advanced version, but it is not alone in that; there are several spells which can have a huge impact in the ultimate version.
I think the most powerful spell in terms of damage output is still Earthquake in an assault on a large city. While it doesn't actually kill anything on its own, it is almost 4*numbers of enemies efficient attack (a little less if there are guys with 4 or less base armour, and arcane immune enemies don't care), making it quite easy to wipe the floor with the defenders. Even a 22 metropolis isn't so scary anymore when every hit takes out 2-3 defenders. Flame Wall also yields more in these scenarios, as with 10 defenders it means Fire Attack 25 for 2 mana.

Also, while you get the six crystals as mana, to actually not waste any of them you'd need a really good hand: six more cards of matching colours to power, maybe less with one of the cards that let you spent multiple mana. So while it is very strong, the reward is fine for me if you manage to set things up like that - which likely meant multiple turns of optimizing your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Davis
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I might have to concede this one then. The language still bothers me a lot, but enough of you are under the impression that it's tokens, so I'll go with that until I hear official word otherwise. :) Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Karui_Kage wrote:
I think my biggest hangup is just the lack of the word token. Every other card is so *so* clear about it, the lack of it on this one just seems sloppy. My brain instantly wants to think that it means something different. It makes me sad.

There's a LOT of text on that card already: they may have had to trim down what they had in order to get it to physically fit on the card.

But if you want to look at wording, everywhere else a spell or card asks you to actually give up mana, it says "when you play this, pay....", so if the card were to be intended as you posit, it probably would have said, "Chose green or white, then choose red or blue. Gain Siege Attack 4 (if you chose green) or Ranged Attack 6 (if you chose white) for each pair of crystals of one of each of these colors you pay. This Attack is Fire (if you chose red) or Ice (if you chose blue)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.