Popular Tags: [View All]
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1. No he does not.
2. If you assault Volkare/the site, yes.
3. Yes (this would assault Volkare).
4. Right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can't assault Volkare while he's standing on a rampaging enemy because you can't move into a square containing a rampaging enemy.

e: Nevermind, I misunderstood. Yes, you can challenge a rampaging enemy on the same space as Volkare if you are next to it as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Thanks! That makes perfect sense. Can I still challenge a rampaging enemy that is occupying the same space as Volkare?

Yes; in fact you cannot assault Volkare until the rampaging enemy is defeated, or Volkare moves.

Quote:
You are not allowed to enter a space occupied by a rampaging enemy (orc marauder or draconum) until they are defeated.
(p. 6)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread confuses me.
Anything under Volkare's figure is ignored, right? So if you assault his legion you fight the legion and nothing else. Either you win and the game ends or you don't and you don't end up in the space or interact with anything else in the space.

Of course, I'm writing this during my lunch break and with no access to the rules, but I was just surprised by the responses in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook does mention that anything is ignored but that is in the Volkare's movement part, so I tend to think that rule apply to his movement only.

While regarding the purpose of fighting it's unclear.

This problem is also mentioned in (unofficial) FAQs on Lost Legion and more possibilities are listed there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the following quote from the manual strongly implies that aside from the two exceptions nothing else on Volkare's space influences the combat in any way.:
"The combat goes exactly the same way as described above, except
for a few details:
• Any rampaging enemies provoked by players movement also
join the battle. Keep them separated; if you do not kill them,
this does not affect the outcome of the battle.
• If Volkare is at a fortied space, or if the player is attacking
across a wall (see New Map Features), Volkare’s troops are
fortied."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
I would say that the following quote from the manual strongly implies that aside from the two exceptions nothing else on Volkare's space influences the combat in any way.:
"The combat goes exactly the same way as described above, except
for a few details:
• Any rampaging enemies provoked by players movement also
join the battle. Keep them separated; if you do not kill them,
this does not affect the outcome of the battle.
• If Volkare is at a fortied space, or if the player is attacking
across a wall (see New Map Features), Volkare’s troops are
fortied."

You quotation tells nothing about this.

The rule says:
1. You may take one and only one action per turn;
2. Entering an unconquered site triggers a mandatory action - assaulting the site;
3. Entering the space V occupies triggers a mandatory action - assaulting Volkare - your quotation just tells us how this action goes but not how to choose.
4. If you trigger a mandatory action, you can no longer take a volunteer one.

But the rule doesn't tell us what happens if you trigger two mandatory actions all at once!

There're various options mentioned in the FAQ, e.g. combining both actions into one, proceeding with one action and then the other in an additional mandotary turn (partially attendence), or such a move not allowed at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and I still don't understand why the interpretation that I chose isn't in that FAQ and didn't come up first in this thread.

Obviously the quote I used isn't to be taken in total isolation. Your claim that the rules provide no information on how to choose is incorrect:

"The space with Volkare’s figure is not considered safe. When
a player moves to this space, his move immediately ends and
it is considered an attack on Volkare (see later)."

It seems pretty cut and dried to me. You say 'two mandatory actions at once', but I say this rule is clearly intended to supersede others, and makes thematic and logical sense too.

So I can establish that:

a) you have no 'choice', a move to a space with Volkare is an attack on Volkare.
b) the combat goes exactly as if Volkare had attacked you, except that eligible rampaging enemies join the fight and the legion is fortified if at a fortified site.

I would take this a step further and say that since:

c) the tile Volkare is on is irrelevant (aside from terrain cost and fortified site yes/no)

Attacking his legion when it is on top of a rampaging enemy is perfectly legal too.

Of course, Mage Knight is a game I would never play with rules lawyers, and arguing about it on t'internet feels a bit foolish, but unless an official ruling comes out this is how we play and we're happy with this interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added your resolution of the matter in the FAQ post, Benkyo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to see I was right =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.