Subject: My new hobby? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost all my iTunes library when my old pc crashed.

So now I am going through my cd collection and ripping it all onto my HDD.
My old collection wasn't lossless and I didn't have all my cd's on it, just haphazardly included the ones I wanted to listen to, so not all is wasted.

But I have noticed a couple things that are wearisome.

I do like that itunes can now go into album view, but it's idea of what constitutes an album is often funny. Compilations for example are typically divided into twenty one song "albums".
Another funny thing is that a lot of the music doesn't have artwork available at the store.

So my new hobby is iTunes.
First I have to rip all the cd's onto my pc. Then I have to go back and organize all the albums together accurately.
Then I have to go back and find artwork on the internet for all my albums and import that.

Kind of a lot of work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
You really know how to have fun!

And that's the reason why most of my CDs haven't been ripped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
You really know how to have fun!

And that's the reason why most of my CDs haven't been ripped.

It's not bad really. I tend to do a lot of data entry and other tasks here on the geek. So I rip cd's while doing that.

The image gathering and iTunes data correction will be more hands on, and I will not be able to multi-task during that operation. Remains to be seen how much patience I have for those tasks. I may well just set as compilations the albums I am most interested in listening to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just kept track of what was/wasn't a compilation when doing my lossless pass through my albums. If you select a pile of songs, you can choose an option to group them as 'part of a compilation', and it will correctly put them together. (You end up seeing them at the end of your list of albums - after the entire alphabet - in a group of 'various artists')

Been about a decade since I did it, and it WAS a huge pain in the ass to get the right album art on everything, but...a decade on, I'm glad I did it. Nice having access to everything I 'own' - without having to shuffle through piles of CDs - lossless quality, with original album art on it and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing something similar, but ripping everything to lossless flac files with foobar2000. It converts to other formats from those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to look into Mp3Tag to help with renaming, and importing images. It makes it a lot easier for me.

And then after that you can up it into itunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, you know, you can dump your Apple stuff and get an Android device instead. Then you can simply copy the MP3's from your device to your new PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
My main problem with iTunes is I like to listen to whole albums at a time. So when selecting music, I go artist, then album. However when a track has a guest artist on it it classifies it as a different artist. So whenever I convert a CD to iTunes I try to remember to check for any tracks featuring xxxx and remove the extra bit so it all gets credited to one artist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Upload yo shiz to tha CLOUD and you don't have to worry about PCs crashing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I worry about my HDD failing, but I remembered my iPod doubles as a backup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

It's also a lot easier to buy an external HDD and keep a copy of your library, there, toting around in your backback or left at an office or something - than keeping a second copy of every CD you've ever purchased!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

I have a back up HDD in my tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
play.google.com

Keep and play all your music from the cloud - never lose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
I'd recommend MusicBrainz for the tagging. Much better than FreeDB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.