Cuba» Forums » General

Subject: Older Game "Cuba" -- worth getting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
Lille
Nord Pas-de-Calais
flag msg tools
I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket so I wandered down to my game shop. Took an old game off the shelf called Cuba because the box was pretty (yes, I'm shallow). Read about it here on the Geek and it sounds pretty great.

I play in a group that likes resource collection and not super competitive games like Castles of Burgundy, Lords of Waterdeep and I'm craving something with some meat to it.

Is Cuba something people would recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not the meatiest but a good 90 minute game with "at the time" unique mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba is a fun game but for the style it is I would go with In the Year of the Dragon first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
arrr_matey wrote:
I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket so I wandered down to my game shop. Took an old game off the shelf called Cuba because the box was pretty (yes, I'm shallow). Read about it here on the Geek and it sounds pretty great.

I play in a group that likes resource collection and not super competitive games like Castles of Burgundy, Lords of Waterdeep and I'm craving something with some meat to it.

Is Cuba something people would recommend?

i'd get it first. And before even thinking of Puerto Rico. Cuba is seriously underrated.

And it's beautiful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and it has an expansion for the completionist in all of us ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newman
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy it its excellent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba is fantastic, it's like Puerto Rico but with more polish to the core mechanisms and the addition of some interesting new features. If your group likes resource management it should click right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's a negative comment: I do not like Cuba at all. It looks beautiful, but for the rest is feels like a weak cross between Puerto Rico and Pillars of the Earth, with a dash of Caylus thrown in. My main problem with it is that the ships that arrive in the harbor, where a good chunk of victory points is made, are of random types. If you go into Rum and no Rum ships arrive, you are screwed. If you go into Cigars and no Cigar ship arrives, you are screwed. If you are playing with 3 and you go for Cigars, the second player goes for Rum, and the third one decides to go for Cigars again, you're screwed. Basically, you do not have enough control over your own fate for my tastes. I played it 3 times, then shelved it. People tell me that it becomes better with the expansion, but why throw good money after bad, is what I am thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
Bahamas
Nassau
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Cuba a few times and consider myself to be a rank amateur, but I'll cheerfully recommend it.

At the moment I'd play it over Puerto Rico who it is most frequently compared to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miklos kuti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an ok game, but not great. I would rather get ora & labora (heaviest), le havre, agricola, homesteaders, puerto rico, egizia, diamond's club (lightest) than cuba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Enes Ebbesen
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Cuba, having played it once.
My only beef with it is that all the buildings are avaiable right from the start. This does three things:
1. Its very hard for new players to get an overview of the possibilites.
2. When someone is going to buy a building, it takes a very long time since they have to look through all of the buildings to see whats best for them.
3. I'm guessing that it's somewhat easier that the same strategies gets used over and over again.

If you just turned over, say 5 buildings, and let people choose from them, it might get smoother, and force you to choose different strategies for different games.

Thoughts on that?

That said, I like Cuba. I also own Puerto Rico, but don't feel at all that one rules out the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xeonrf wrote:
Cuba is a fun game but for the style it is I would go with In the Year of the Dragon first.

you can play on In the Year of the Dragon boardgamearena if you want to try it out first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played once, didn't like it for some reason.

It felt like a lighter and easier mix of Agricola and Puerto Rico, but I felt it provided less meaningful choices than those 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Oh lord, when you see a thread calling Cuba an "older game" it says ... something!

Agree. I can remember when Cuba was on the Hotness all day and it was just another shiny thing the Cult of the New worshipped while the serious gamers were playing the classic greats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Everything I've read about Cuba says that the expansion is a must-buy, so keep that in mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Portland
Germany
Worms
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba is not a bad game, but it´s a country (game) without a president. So i recommend it to play it with the -El presidente- expansion. The way of the game is within more under your control. You can exchange the ships in the harbor and in arrival, get more buildings and person cards to get ideal tactical solutions for your problems during the game. The game expands from 6 rounds up to 7 or 8 rounds, as your gamegroup likes. I prefer 7 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Cuba a few times, and I can recommend it in good conscience:

- Many of the similarities with Puerto Rico are in theme only, in my opinion.
- I find Puerto Rico to become procedural after repeated play, due to the lack of random elements (and it is a pain to play against very experienced players).
- The artwork is gorgeous.
- I do not see how it can be compared to In the Year of the Dragon, the games are nothing alike.
- I have not played with the expansion yet. It may be very good, but I have enjoyed vanilla Cuba very well. So "must-buy" is perhaps a bit strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Cuba after 3 years in the hobby. I'm used to more "meaty" games and can recognize that Cuba feels a bit dated. However, I still enjoyed my play and would play again if someone suggested it.

It's not brain burny, but it's a nice casual thinker game....kinda like Grand Cru.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
And here's a negative comment: I do not like Cuba at all. It looks beautiful, but for the rest is feels like a weak cross between Puerto Rico and Pillars of the Earth, with a dash of Caylus thrown in. My main problem with it is that the ships that arrive in the harbor, where a good chunk of victory points is made, are of random types. If you go into Rum and no Rum ships arrive, you are screwed. If you go into Cigars and no Cigar ship arrives, you are screwed. If you are playing with 3 and you go for Cigars, the second player goes for Rum, and the third one decides to go for Cigars again, you're screwed. Basically, you do not have enough control over your own fate for my tastes. I played it 3 times, then shelved it. People tell me that it becomes better with the expansion, but why throw good money after bad, is what I am thinking.

Working off of the ever unreliable memory but I'm fairly certain that both of those products have buildings which can convert them into gobs of cash. If for some reason you can never ship your stuff (which is pretty unlikely since there are only five things to ship and every boat accepts three of them) you should still be able to unload it for a fortune and then buy up everything that can be shipped. Really, since everything ships for the same number of points you should only really get into the expensive stuff if you're trying to make a lot of money or if you already know that you will be able to ship it all without competition. The boats do add an element of luck but it is hardly significant, this is one of those games where you can usually plan up to 4-6 moves in advance and expect it to actually go off without a hitch barring serious player meddling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. There are 100 games better. Unless the game is heavily clearanced I would get a better or better valued game in the same category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Lille
Nord Pas-de-Calais
flag msg tools
Haha... my group tends to play really new stuff a lot. Plus I'm a relative newbie to gaming, so to me even a few years is "old" meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Lille
Nord Pas-de-Calais
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response everybody! Really appreciated both positive and negative comments.

I haven't made my mind up yet. There's slim pickings in my city and for whatever reason, this game just really appeals to me. I prefer buying from a store than ordering online.

If I do end up getting the game, I think I'll get the expansion for sure based on what people have said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it, and it warranted enough interest for me to want to try it again. I'm not sure, however, I feel like I want to play it more after that. Some of the rules seemed a bit wonky to me; the whole ship-thing was really annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mayhew
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 5 years, Cuba is still hitting the table quite often. I really enjoy the game (never played the expansion) and it is also the best looking game I have. Yes, it is a lot like Puerto Rico, but there are some fun mechanics that make play highly enjoyable.

* Role selection has implications for future turns and the end of turn "minigame".
* The end of turn "minigame" is a game of voting and bribing in laws that change the gameplay. This is a simpel, fun mechanics that increases player interaction without being too confrontational.
* You are limited in what you can produce, even more so than in Puerto Rico (where you just fill up your board with "colonists"). This requires some smart planning and the making of tough decisions.
* There's not really a clear winning strategy (well, I've discovered one: see below) so the game is more about the process, than about winning. Ask yourself why you play games; if you solely play to be victorious, then Cuba might not be the game for you.

So, concerning winning strategies. I discovered a strategy that we have now banned as a house rule (well, banned for me; other players are still allowed to use it... because no-one, besides me, has ever gone this route yet). Build a dam early on: the dam is cheap and can be build almost immediately. Together with the often overlooked rule stating you are allowed to produce extra water by forgoing a crop harvest, the dam provide you with ample water. Build the golf course and you can convert water into victory points. No complex production cycles required! Just use the rest of your actions getting some more points here and there, and it will be very hard for other players to stop you from winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Recommendations to Cuba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.