BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Doom:The Board Game or Descent: Journeys in the Dark? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Cooper
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Both are overlord games, and are similarly rated here on BGG.

Both seem fun. =D

RPG elements are always a plus, but then again more manageable game sessions (time wise) is always a plus.

Which one is the better investment?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Doom - it's fun, but it has some balance issues. If i didn't have Doom i would go for Descent... hmmm... maybe i will anyway If the fantasy theme is a major turnoff for you, go for Doom. Both have expansions (comming up?) and maybe the balance issues in Doom are fixed - i haven't read about it yet.

If both themes appeal to you, get Descent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention RPG themes are a plus. You should be aware that you can't expect worthwhile campaign play out of Descent without playing with a variant. The one-shots are fun, but balanced for at least 3 heroes.

I haven't played Doom, but given that it's an earlier iteration of the same system, I expect it's much the same with regards to the campaign play.

I'm currently playing in a 4-session campaign (with a home-brewed campaign and campaign rules) of Descent. If you're willing to put in the time to build campaigns, it's a reasonable system to play in. It also allows you to play a much more adversarial game than most traditional RPGs make possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything that has been said about the two games, I'm assuming is true. I haven't played Descent, very much would like to though, but since it is based somewhat on the same system as DOOM, it should be a good game as well. From what I've read about Descent, it seems it does have more RPG elements than DOOM. I own DOOM, it has RPG elements if you run a campaign with it, carrying over armor, health, ammo, etc. Plus you can purchase upgrades for your character in DOOM at the end of each map. But in the end, DOOM is more of an action game.

So it comes down to what do you prefer, RPG or action. Sci-fi or fantasy. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.