Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A new expansion for Frontiers is coming- there is still some work left to be done but I wanted to announce it now and see what the community thought. The expansion is smaller than either of the two official ones- Frontiers: Sector Kadom Campaign and Frontiers: Red Skulls Faction- but like them it adds new units. It is being done with input from Clem (one of the designers of Frontiers) to ensure it doesn't break the system.

There will be two new sets of units- a set of new soldiers (Troopers) and a set of aliens. Samples of the art are below:

Initially they will be playtest versions, since I would be interested in any feedback to make them better. I hope you enjoy them.

If you enjoy Frontiers, please consider pledging on Kickstarter for Heroes of Normandie. I am not affiliated with the game at all, but as a fan of the system I look forward to the publication of this next iteration of it.

All subsequent information on this mini-expansion will be released through this thread, and when it is ready the files will be posted here on BGG (thanks to Clem for his okay in the matter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for it

I'm happy there is quite a new wave of interest for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, is it new armies, or complement to Legion/Zirl armies ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say new armies- I just wanted to expand the types of Legionnaires that you can use, and came up with some derivative aliens to use with them. I call it a mini-expansion because at this point there wouldn't be too much new- its not as large as either of the expansions Yann and Clem put out.

I started it because I saw how much Frontiers is like a miniatures skirmish game. If they were physical minis, you could paint them differently and add new weapons/armor/etc. combinations. So I started "repainting" the units that came in the game for the Legionnaires, and then came up with some aliens to expand the nature of the skirmishes.

Since this was a little different from the base game, I reached out to Clem to get his thoughts and advice, which he was very generous in providing. Since I was hoping that generating interest in Frontiers would also generate interest in Heroes of Normandie, I timed it so that I asked during the Kickstarter campaign. However, in hindsight I think that was a bad idea as I don't know how much additional interest it generated and Clem was focused (as he should have been) on the success of the KS fundraising. He said when that was done and he had some time he would be more free to discuss the mini-expansion more.

If you would like to provide input, I would love to get your thoughts as well. I am not an expert in Frontiers by any means, and am not sure if the ideas I have would actually translate to interesting game play; they might fall flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a Work-in-progress copy i can have a look.
My point of view is that a new faction is better than strenghtening the already existing (and already wide) armies, because by streghening again and again we make them overwhelming, ready in any situation, while an army should have its drawbacks. But it's not always possible or interesting (that's why my first work for another faction ended as mercenaries in my expansion, because they did not add enough).

Are the troopers/alien design yours ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand what you are saying, and that is one reason I asked Clem for his advice.

I wouldn't call the designs mine too much. I am using the Legionnaire designs and repainting them and making minor changes. That is like taking a mini and modding it. I wouldn't want to take credit for anything but the paint. The alien designs are derivative as well. They borrow from Alien, the Genestealers, Pitch Black, and all the other sources of that style of alien. I did draw and paint them myself, though, so I guess that is why they are not as nice as the Trooper design.

My main goal in the whole project was to add options for players. I didn't want to undo the Frontiers design interaction, and I didn't want to create something that really didn't fit in the Frontiers theme. That is one reason why I'm interested in feedback- the more people who provide thoughts the better.

I don't mind sending you a WIP, but I am taking care of some health issues this week and am not sure when I'll get them to you. I send something in GM in a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

any news from your expansion ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, things got put on the back burner for a couple of reasons. Clem said he needed to focus on the HoN KS (they are doing the surveys right now) and I had some complicated dental work done. Life has intruded, unfortunately. I am hoping to get something uploaded soon, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rivera
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you are feeling better...any new word on your project here. It looks very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
broken_halo20575 wrote:
I hope you are feeling better...any new word on your project here. It looks very interesting.

I would also be very interested to know if this is still up coming.

I have only recently come to Frontiers and I really enjoy the game and have the two other expansions and play this regularly.

Also, I am a sucker for anything Alien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, I am feeling better with the dental procedure- hate it but it had to be done. Thanks.

I put the Frontiers thing on hold for awhile because Yann and Clem were so busy with the HoN KS and I was engaged on another project. That is wrapping up and so it would seem the KS is as well. (Can't wait on that, BTW.) So for the last week or so I have been meaning to sit down and finish the art for this.

Where things stand:
a. I realized I have to rename the aliens- too close to some of the characters in Claustrophobia: De Profundis.
b. I have to create a few more figures/weapons.
c. I have to run the stats by Yann and Clem to make sure there isn't a problem with their special abilities. I am still not the most experienced player so outside help is welcome. (Along those lines, I will probably release the beta after Y&C concur and get feedback before finalizing.)

Sorry it has taken so long but I haven't forgotten about it. Don't expect too much, though. It is modest, at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.