mbmbmbmbmb
How does this game compare to the likes of:

Small World?
Nexus Ops?
Risk Revised/Black Ops (or Legacy)?
Game of Thrones?
Chaos in the Old World?
Ascending Empires??

I'm just curious what similarities and differences it has to any or all of those games that I've played. Rules and mechanics I can read up on so I'm more interested in things like determinism, chaos, luck, strategy, tactics, king making, pace, etc. Awesomeness? What does it offer that sets it apart from these games?

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played most of these, so maybe I can help! There is very little luck in Kemet. The only thing that is random are these Divine Intervention cards that you draw (very similar to the cards in Nexus Ops), and from the game I played, their impact was not huge. Battles are diceless.

I think there is a a good amount of both long term strategy (figuring out which of the limited upgrades to buy) as well as tactics in reacting to what your opponents are doing. Every player can start with different pyramid values which leads to different power specializations, though there is not as much asymmetry as in Chaos in the Old World.

The game is similar to Small World in that even if your army gets wiped out, it is very easy to get a formidable army again and strike back.

It is similar to Nexus Ops in that everyone has a starting base where you spawn from, but it is much faster to move troops around and losing units is not as big of a deal. Also, the bulk of your income is independent from the territories you occupy.

King-bashing does have a role in this game. VP's are open information and the game is over when someone accumulates a set amount, so if someone is the clear leader, smart players will deal with them first. There are both permanent VP's and temporary VP's based on occupying territories, so you can bring people down, but not in an extreme way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
How does this game compare to the likes of:

Small World?
Nexus Ops?
Risk Revised/Black Ops (or Legacy)?
Game of Thrones?
Chaos in the Old World?
Ascending Empires??

I'm just curious what similarities and differences it has to any or all of those games that I've played. Rules and mechanics I can read up on so I'm more interested in things like determinism, chaos, luck, strategy, tactics, king making, pace, etc. Awesomeness? What does it offer that sets it apart from these games?

Thx!

I can only compare it to SW and GOT. I never played the others.

Small world is much less complex. No battle mechanics except that the most units win.
Similarities: Get VP's for controlling an area at the end of each round. So as Kemet it encourages constant attacking. Keeping a specific area is of less importance than controlling an area at the end of a specific round. Kemet adds to this that you get VP's for attacking. It is often good strategy to withdraw from an area immediately after winning a battle there. Another similarity is variable player powers. In SW you buy two powers, in Kemet you can buy a whackload. These powers in Kemet are much more powerful and make much larger difference in strategy. The strategic choices in KEMET are exponentially more than in SW.

GOT: In game of thrones it is essential to hang on to your territories. In Kemet it is not. So GOT is much more about area control than Kemet. The territory is more important than the actual battle, you do not get VP's for fighting but for having territories. GOT encourages alliances and diplomacy. Kemet is pure hack and slash.

The Kemet battle system is almost identical to that of GOT, which in turn is probably based on the Dune system.

GOT and Kemet are almost on the same level as far as gameplay is concerned. (GOT probably slightly deeper and more complex) SW lags very far behind, and should be considered a very light game compared to the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.