Subject: Trying to decide whether to pick this up. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So much to my surprise, I stumbled across a 2nd edition ASL rulebook (the one in the monster 3 ring binder) at my local gaming store for $80. I'm thinking of buying it, but have a couple of questions. First, are the solitaire rules part of the main rulebook set, or will that require a separate purchase, which leads me into my second question, what else will I need to purchase to be able to play, aside from the aforementioned rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Aaron, solitaire rules are separate, and OOP at moment.

First purchase with rulebook should be Beyond Valor: ASL Module 1, preferably the third edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron, I'm also contemplating getting in on ASL. From what I've researched, ASL requires the ASL rulebook, which you've aleady found, but which *only* has rules; it has no scenarios or gameplay elements. You will also need to get, at a minimum, the Beyond Valor: ASL Module 1 module, covering infantry and basic combat.

For solitaire, in addition to the rulebook and Beyond Valor, you will also need Solitaire ASL (out of print as Jeff pointed out), and Yanks: ASL Module 3 (required by SASL), also out of print. However, you can play solitaire as most grognards do, and just give in to those voices in your head...umm, I mean just play both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
metal134 wrote:
So much to my surprise, I stumbled across a 2nd edition ASL rulebook (the one in the monster 3 ring binder) at my local gaming store for $80. I'm thinking of buying it, but have a couple of questions. First, are the solitaire rules part of the main rulebook set, or will that require a separate purchase, which leads me into my second question, what else will I need to purchase to be able to play, aside from the aforementioned rulebook?

If you don't want to drop $80...

Options.

1Borrow someone elses Rules that live close by and don't play a lot...
OR RENT THEM.

2 By the first Starter kit for $25-$35...It will have a number of scenarios and a "basic" rule set... This is sort of like going BACKWARDS to Squad Leader...as in ANTI-ASL...small chunk of rules, then buy another set, small chunk of rules, then buy another set, ad infinitum....

The problem with this...is if you like the first one...DON'T buy others...Just get the rules and the first Modules... Sell your Starter kit for about what you paid for it.

3 BUY the 1st edition set of rules...
the rules will be essentially the same. Some rule changes from the 1st to 2nd, but you'll probably not notice...Your opponents will inform you of any changes... $20-$30 AND you'll have 4 chapters of rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A few thoughts here.

1 - The Rulebook + Beyond Valor will give you more gameplay than most games would and there's a near lifetime supply of scenarios that require just these two components. For example, you could add on and be able to play Red Barricades, Valor of the Guards, and Festung Budapest with just the Rulebook & Beyond Valor.

2 - ASLRB and BV (Russian, Partisan, Finn, & German) provide a TON of published scenarios you can play.

3 - Solitaire ASL is not ASL. Sorry to steal from a great ASL Journal title, but it's really a niche game within the ASL world. It has a lot of differences so it's not exactly a solo variant for ASL as much as it's a solitaire gaming system that uses the ASL core concepts.

Yanks can be purchased secondhand for around $100 which is in range with what you'll pay for most nationalities that are in print anyway. For King & Country is still widely available as well.

Just with in the in print content that's out there and with the upcoming Rising Sun content ... you'll be able to get more gaming in with ASL than any other currently published tactical gaming system available. The tournament and convention scene is vibrant. Most metropolitan areas in the US have ASL clubs.

Here in the Raleigh area there are a lot of ASL players and there's Gamers Armory (http://www.gamersarmory.com) which is probably the premiere ASL OLGS and definitely my FLGS. They do an ASL night every Monday and pull 6 - 10 guys each week. A lot of other metro areas can say similar things about their ASL scene which is fantastic and very different from what you're going to find with other games.

There are, for example, a lot of people who own Combat Commander and Conflict of Heroes ... but you're hard pressed to find a brick & mortar store with regular gaming nights for these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
Here in the Raleigh area there are a lot of ASL players and there's Gamers Armory (http://www.gamersarmory.com) which is probably the premiere ASL OLGS and definitely my FLGS. They do an ASL night every Monday and pull 6 - 10 guys each week. A lot of other metro areas can say similar things about their ASL scene which is fantastic and very different from what you're going to find with other games.

There are, for example, a lot of people who own Combat Commander and Conflict of Heroes ... but you're hard pressed to find a brick & mortar store with regular gaming nights for these games.
Le sigh...another local gamer that plays a system I can't afford, $$ or time, but really want to get in to. So...any interest in teaching/playing ASL, Keith? Although I have to say I'm NOT a fan of playing at GA, I just don't like their play area very much, sadly. Though noisier, I prefer Game Theory's tables.

Let me know if you have any interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies fellas, it's been a big help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spooky Dangleford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
With the rulebook, I assume you could play VASL (Virtual Advanced Squad Leader). I'm not sure what the licensing issues, etc. are. It seems to me that if you were playing with someone else who has the rules and counters and just wanted a taste, there really isn't any legal obligation to physically own cardboard. You would probably want a rulebook, as it would be impossible to advance very far without one.

Don't get the solo rules, it died a gravy sucking death and isn't supported even by weak third party publishers anymore. VASL is a much better option if you don't have a ftf opponent.

As far as cardboard goes, Beyond Valor and Red Barricades. The rest is cheese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Kearny
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Gotta love that Gravy Sucking Death line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Korpos
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turdsocket wrote:
Don't get the solo rules, it died a gravy sucking death and isn't supported even by weak third party publishers anymore.

You may be surprised but MMP will reveal SASL CGs and missions for VotG and RB soon (understand "soon" as defined by MMP laugh ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Henry Thripshaw
United States
Pacific NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The information on SASL is wrong. It still has a slight pulse, it's just the modules are OOP and not to be reprinted any time soon.

It has received numerous add-ons, including recent Axis Minor SASL nationality chart in Armies of Oblivion, probably (not sure) Finn SASL in the upcoming (2014-15) Haaka Palle(sp?) as well as a Dutch SASL campaign in a Special Ops 2.

If I'm not mistaken, there was also some SASL content in a Le Franc Tireur or other TPP magazine.

Also, don't forget the SASL Red Barricades campaign that was in one of the early Journals (Journal 1 I think).

It is similar to say that DASL died a gravy sucking death, but scenarios are still being created for it and TPPs have issued DASL boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.