Popular Tags: [View All]
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
What popular games are similar top this one and why?

I am hoping that it is more like Innovation or Through The Ages and less like 7 Wonders. Everything I have read about this make me very curious but I don't want it unless it is going to be a serious keeper. Perhaps hearing some comparisons will make the decision easier for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax is like Through the Ages in the card market.

It's like Innovation in the general sense of chaos and the sense that any given card, used properly, can change the whole flow of the game.

It's like 7 Wonders ... um ... they both use cards. With symbols on them. And money. Seriously, it's nothing like 7 Wonders. Which is fine by me, since I'm pretty 'meh' on 7 Wonders.

Mostly Pax is very much its own thing. Its own awesome thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:

It's like Innovation in the general sense of chaos and the sense that any given card, used properly, can change the whole flow of the game.

It's like 7 Wonders ... um ... they both use cards. With symbols on them. And money. Seriously, it's nothing like 7 Wonders. Which is fine by me, since I'm pretty 'meh' on 7 Wonders.

I like to compare it to:

7 Wonders where you can go and invade other player's cards instead of just looking at them. And destroy them if you want to.
Andean Abyss - Political balance (or lack thereof), 4 cards give you the chance to win and timing your move is important.
Any game where you can lose by taking your eyes off the other players for a while.

It's also the opposite of the above games in some ways as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting for it to arrive all week, printed off the player aides, attempted to learn the rules , watched videos , in between playing Core Worlds and Age of Industry (where are those new boards!), and it still hasnt arrived. So would people just lay off on saying how good it is. It's not helping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
JazzFish wrote:

I like to compare it to:

7 Wonders where you can go and invade other player's cards instead of just looking at them. And destroy them if you want to.
Andean Abyss - Political balance (or lack thereof), 4 cards give you the chance to win and timing your move is important.
Any game where you can lose by taking your eyes off the other players for a while.

It's also the opposite of the above games in some ways as well

Regarding the 7 wonders thing. I like 7 Wonders for what it is - a nice light euro card drafting game.

Pax is like 7 Wonders only in the mechanical sense. You buy cards, you play them in front of you and some of the provide income. And I guess you're all drafting from the open pool of 12 cards but I think we're really stretching the commonalities at this point.

Pax is utterly unlike 7 Wonders when it comes to mechanics, interaction, strategy, tension and "feel". The important stuff
Where 7W is light and friendly Pax is deep and rich and meaty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a summary I posted elsewhere: mechanically it is most similar to Through the Ages, though vastly streamlined. But spiritually it has much more in common with Innovation - highly interactive and improvisatory. Unlike either of those games, it is rooted in a real time and place. In that way, it is to tableau-building what A Few Acres of Snow is to deck-building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just. Buy. It.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I found 7 Wonders to play the same way after a while, so got rid of it.
Innovation I found to be too hard to keep track of what was on the cards of my opponent - too bad, because I thought I might like it. The theme didn't feel there though.
Pax is fantastic. Don't be put off by all the text and the busy graphics on the cards. Once the card is played in someone's Row, there are just a few things to keep track of (like the prestige points), and those are easy to see. I thought it would be brutally hard to learn, but get it and run through the solitaire variant once or twice with the awesome player aid that is in the files section, and it will totally make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is now on my must have list! Thanks for all the comments. They helped immensely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Here's a summary I posted elsewhere: mechanically it is most similar to Through the Ages, though vastly streamlined. But spiritually it has much more in common with Innovation - highly interactive and improvisatory. Unlike either of those games, it is rooted in a real time and place. In that way, it is to tableau-building what A Few Acres of Snow is to deck-building.

Not having played it yet, but I would have thought that Pax was most similar to Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition). Is it only the theme that's the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
. . . it is to tableau-building what A Few Acres of Snow is to deck-building.

You mean, a very exciting concept which falls flat in execution?

Hoping for much much more from Pax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I haven't discovered a Sonora Screwdriver yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
highly interactive and improvisatory.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:

But what of the Chihuahua Chainsaw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:

But what of the Chihuahua Chainsaw?

Enter the Porfirian Pliers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An online buddy of mine said Pax has concepts similar to 51st State, TtA, and Twilight Struggle. High praise indeed, since two of those three games are #1 and #2 on the Geek. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceLordOO wrote:
An online buddy of mine said Pax has concepts similar to 51st State, TtA, and Twilight Struggle. High praise indeed, since two of those three games are #1 and #2 on the Geek. cool

That and 51st State isn't shabby at all. It isn't highly retired but it is very decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
tssfulk wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:

Not having played it yet, but I would have thought that Pax was most similar to Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition). Is it only the theme that's the same?

Only in theme. Mechanically, there's nothing in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
outlier wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:

Only in theme. Mechanically, there's nothing in common.

Thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.