Subject: So Let Me Get This Straight..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
There is a board game, consisting primarily of these really awesome gears, and they aren't gears that are just painted on, but the gears are like really amazing core, fundamental aspects of the game.

So the designer of the game is looking at this game, and in his head is going through themes. There's a bajillion awesome steam punk themes, diesel punk themes, some kind of time, or clock theme. So many awesome different things that you could do with the theme in an amwesome game involving gears, and he LOOKS at those gears, long and hard, stares at them, and for the theme he just says

"Mayans"

Why? Why Mayans as the theme with a game about gears, MAYANS of all things, all the amazing steam punk possibilities, why Mayans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://people.howstuffworks.com/mayan-calendar2.htm

The Mayan Calendar, which this game sort of utilizes is a gear, metaphorically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I was *more* drawn by the theme, not less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
The hocus pocus about the end of the world last year, which was supposedly tied to the buffer overflow for the Mayan calendar in December, generated a ton of interest and free publicity. Lots of people were cashing in with books, games, pseudo-science TV shows, you name it. Tzolk'in coming out at that time was no accident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the theme, as a matter of fact I quite like it aside from the fact that the calendar isn't a Mayan calendar but an Aztec calendar. Painted, which mine is and which many others have as well, makes the game look simply fantastic and the calendar marks time which moves the other gears and the workers place on them. It is quite a good and unique gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steampunk < Mayan and it is not even close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'm not saying it's a bad theme, it just seems weird. Like if Twilight Struggle had been themed as like dinosaurs vs samurai.

I wouldn't immediately say it's bad, just that it was weird.

I wasn't aware of the Maya calender thing, but I kind of hope that some day the game can mechanics can be integrated into something a bit more steam punky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Implying the designer had decided about the gears long before settling on the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:
I'm not saying it's a bad theme, it just seems weird. Like if Twilight Struggle had been themed as like dinosaurs vs samurai.

It's not in the least "weird". The Mayans and their calendar actually existed - Dinosaurs vs Samurai never took place at all - that WOULD be weird - so that analogy seriously undermines the "weird" point.

BillyBabel wrote:
I wasn't aware of the Maya calender thing, but I kind of hope that some day the game can mechanics can be integrated into something a bit more steam punky.

Steampunk is fiction as well of course, like the Dinosaurs vs Samurai analogy.

So you would prefer a steampunk theme - that's fine (City of Iron looks promising I think?) - but calling an actual historical theme like the Mayans "weird", as opposed to a fictional steampunk theme is just -well - weird!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:

The cogs are an integral mechanic and 'theme' combined. The two aspects of the game are a perfect historical fit. I have to concur with the previous poster, calling a historical reality 'weird' (twice) whilst hankering after a world where everyone dresses like Victorians in welding goggles suggests that realities of life are a little out of kilter.

Why is the fictional world of Steam Punk especiallly synonymous with cog wheels? I think you are at risk of marginalising the clock-making theme gamers with such statements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:

So you would prefer a steampunk theme - that's fine (City of Iron looks promising I think?) - but calling an actual historical theme like the Mayans "weird", as opposed to a fictional steampunk theme is just -well - weird!

A game that has steampunk and gears?
Look at 011

Though some describe it as "Cluedo on steroids"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
BillyBabel wrote:

The cogs are an integral mechanic and 'theme' combined. The two aspects of the game are a perfect historical fit. I have to concur with the previous poster, calling a historical reality 'weird' (twice) whilst hankering after a world where everyone dresses like Victorians in welding goggles suggests that realities of life are a little out of kilter.

Why is the fictional world of Steam Punk especiallly synonymous with cog wheels? I think you are at risk of marginalising the clock-making theme gamers with such statements.

I can see that technology tracks would work but where would the temples fit with a steam punk theme?! Mayan theme seem perfect to me Google "Mayan calendar wheels images" to see where the idea for the cogs came from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:
Why? Why Mayans as the theme with a game about gears, MAYANS of all things, all the amazing steam punk possibilities, why Mayans?
Why not?
I think you've got it wrong. Maybe they decided to make a game about the Mayans, and thought: we need to include the calendar, and someone thought "why not make a movable calendar instead of having to move everything by hand. Perhaps inspired by the rotating table in Artus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steampunk is the new Zombie...
I think we will see a lot of steampunk themed games this year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:

I would buy a Twilight Struggle with dinosaurs vs samurai.... sounds awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Want something more befitting for cogs and gears, eh? Mind as well re-theme this game to Gears of War: the mechanism is in the title and the main logo. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
Seghillian wrote:

A game that has steampunk and gears?
Look at 011

Though some describe it as "Cluedo on steroids"

Yeah, this. Theming the game as steampunk would just confuse it with another steampunk gear game. Gotta diversify!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Sedalia
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steampunk is pretty lame anyway and consists of slapping as many gears and goggles on as many things as you can. At least something like cyberpunk has actual literary and social relevance (on top of having more variety).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
Steampunk is pretty lame anyway and consists of slapping as many gears and goggles on as many things as you can. At least something like cyberpunk has actual literary and social relevance (on top of having more variety).

And contains actual punk elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
"Steampunk is what happens when Goths discover the color brown."
-- Charlie Stross
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
Steampunk is pretty lame anyway and consists of slapping as many gears and goggles on as many things as you can.

The goggles really do nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
Konata wrote:
Steampunk is pretty lame anyway and consists of slapping as many gears and goggles on as many things as you can.

The goggles really do nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
This game might be more your thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniele tascini
Italy
Macerata
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:
There is a board game, consisting primarily of these really awesome gears, and they aren't gears that are just painted on, but the gears are like really amazing core, fundamental aspects of the game.

So the designer of the game is looking at this game, and in his head is going through themes. There's a bajillion awesome steam punk themes, diesel punk themes, some kind of time, or clock theme. So many awesome different things that you could do with the theme in an amwesome game involving gears, and he LOOKS at those gears, long and hard, stares at them, and for the theme he just says

"Mayans"

I guess I need to answer this.
I already talked about this issue, but it was a while ago, so here we go again...

1. I wanted to make a game with the mayan calendar, which always fascinated me!
2. I started thinking of the game looking at a mayan calendar and trying to figure out how to use it...
3. I came out with the first attempt of this mechanism and took a few months to study and build a gears prototype that was as closest as possible to the Tzolkin calendar who features a 13 days gear connected to a 20 months gear... this 2 gears were moving a giant crown gear with all the others inside....
4.Well... My first prototype was much more complex then this and almost unpublishable...
5. In the end many things have been changed... the gears simplified... the calendar stylized (the use of the aztec wheel was a publisher mistake, I used the actual Mayan Tzolkin gear), so the game turned out to be what it is now... of course being the theme perfect for 2012 we worked hard to make it out in the year.
6. the mechanism itself not only uses the calendar gears but it also implement the concept of the elapsing time... the longest the workers stay on the gear the better is the job they do... each calendar cog = 1 day = 1 gear step = a longer job for the worker...
7. While designing the single actions I was imagining the mayan tribes burning the forest harbesting corn, cutting stone and building temples, following days marked on the calendar...

So nothing is farer from the truth then having a bunch of gears and find a theme to stick on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dizzark wrote:
4.Well... My first prototype was much more complex then this and almost unpublishable...

Ooooh - we must see this! Publish and be damned!

Advanced Tzolkin - I can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.