Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Archipelago is it a good game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michelle smith
msg tools
My group enjoy playing Euros but this one seems to have mixed reviews.Should I buy it.Thoughts please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michelle,

Welcome to BGG. If your group likes Euros they may very well like Archipelago but to research further the subject I would go to the actual page for Archipelago and read the reviews and comments available in the forum and at the top of the page near the games ratings.

What games do you currently play? Knowing this will help other users determine if it's something that matches your interests. Do you like worker placement? Deck building? Drafting? Let us know and we'll try to help you out.

Hope this helps
-Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I don't have any hands on experience, but this game really intrigues me as well. I'm hoping to be able to play it soon.

Until then... check out the guys review at Shut UP & Sit Down to see if you'd like it.

http://susd.pretend-money.com/blog/2013/4/19/review-archipel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it but from my research it seams as if it depends on how you feel about the hidden game ending conditions, hidden victory point conditions and the random event that come up every turn. Many "Euro" style games prefer to know their goal and seeing how they can get there.

As a "game to win", I will not like Archipelago at all. But as long as I go into it as an economic adventure game, I think I may enjoy it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group has a sub-set of people that would sabotage the victory for anyone if they don't have a shot at it, then this might not be the one for you. Technically, that's part of the game and managing that danger, but it may not be enjoyable for you. I would suggest trying this (if at all possible) before you buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advise you to avoid Archipelago. It is a beautiful game, but mechanically it is just very wonky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.