Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We call it "Roll of Quarters" - my youngest simply calls it "80's Arcade Roll".

But why? And how?

Well, first off, I backed Dungeon Roll on Kickstarter. My two boys (17 & 7) played the PnP version we made probably at least half a dozen times in the first 24 hours we had completed it. An exact count is difficult, as the 7 year old was found playing it solo at 7:30 on Saturday morning. When asked how long he had played, he simply stated "I don't know...3 or 4 games...maybe more" and then asked if we wanted to play.

But then came to introducing the game to my wife. Now, I love my wife and she will play games....but she despises fantasy themed fair. It's really my brother's fault...a poorly executed D&D disaster several years ago...but that's a different story for a different time. So we tried to get her to try it - but to no avail.

Finally, knowing she is a big fan of 80's arcade games, I jokingly blurted out "If it was an 80's arcade themed dice game, you'd play!" She smiled and stunned me saying "Yes, if you remade it an 80's arcade game, I'd play".

Things really kind of “fell into place” after that. I simply used 80’s arcade “good guys” and matched them up with their counterpart “bad guys”. Keeping it simple, and making sure to keep the game the same, I actually had a chart that listed the dice faces in Dungeon Roll and their equivalent in “Roll of Quarters”. Here is a picture of the dice faces, as they looked after I printed them:

The first 6 on the top row are the good guys - with the 6 directly underneath, their “bad guy” dice equivalent. Donkey Kong is the Dragon, with the reset button being a scroll, and the quarter being a potion. For those that don't recognize the purple (rogue) - it's Pitfall Harry.

In the picture below, you’ll notice the treasure tokens and the “hero cards”:

For the cards, I simply copy and pasted the original hero template from the prototype PnP file, then actually just did some “find and replace” - although, you’ll notice I missed one. The bottom left card says “Dragon’s Lair”. DOH! I also used the terms “Novice” and “Expert” - again, a nod to the Atari 2600.

The “Power Up” tokens are pretty self-explanatory. Ms. Pac Man, Mario’s hammer, the female frog, etc. The baker-looking dude is the Burger Time pepper guy (invisibility ring) - bananas are, of course, Donkey Kong Bait - and the one that took the longest, instead of Town Portal for 2 points, those are 2 Tron light cycles (what else for a fast getaway?)

So there you have it - “Roll of Quarters” or, as my 7 year old calls it “80s Arcade Roll”. And yes, when we play with my wife, we still find ourselves saying things like, “I’ll use my scroll...erm...reset button to reroll...” but she doesn’t seem to mind. And since we’re still playing the game of Dungeon Roll at heart, neither do we!

Out of respect for the good folks at TMG I did not upload the actual files I made. This is to keep anyone out of any copyright trouble, as I am sure some of the images and likenesses I used are trademarks, copyrights, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: the typo - is a feature, not a bug. Dragon's Lair, being the classic that it is, is just an easter egg, amirite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
RE: the typo - is a feature, not a bug. Dragon's Lair, being the classic that it is, is just an easter egg, amirite?
lol - except that if you look across at the card on the bottom right corner, I somehow got that one "right". Mea Culpa. But I like the way you think.

Just as a note - for those that think my dice-sticker-cutting-and-application abilities are subpar, my 7 year old was so excited about this project that he wanted to help. Being more of a father and gamer than a perfectionist, I made sure he enjoyed it by letting him do some cutting and applying. So the sloppier looking ones must be his....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Pure genius. Good work, my man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell your kids it's '80s arcade, not 80's arcade (tha apostophe is there to replace the 19 bit from 1980) and it'll help them with apostrophe use in school. nice variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willsargent wrote:
Tell your kids it's '80s arcade, not 80's arcade (tha apostophe is there to replace the 19 bit from 1980) and it'll help them with apostrophe use in school. nice variant.

'that apostrophe' ... Couldn't help myself lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this before but never replied... I think this is AWESOME!

Great work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.