Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi guys,

Just want to chime in and say that while a lot of this game looks promising, and very cool, the double agents for Holmes and M. both seem kind of broken. Any card that says "Half the time, this card does nothing" shouldn't exist. Especially if you have no control over when it does and doesn't do anything.

Have other people had similar experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
Do you seriously believe that BGG ratings matter that much?
mbmbmbmbmb
In all fairness, it does force you to reveal your identity in case you don't want to be affected by the double agent.

Also, acquiring an agent is not random, the cards the players bid for (the agents included) are face up, so this particular part of the game is about bluffing not randomness: "Did she take Moriarty cause she's a Loyalist or is she bluffing?".

I think these two cards fit in perfectly with the secret identity aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hm, that second bit is a good point. Drawing double agents is random though, and seems a bit... Odd. I haven't played yet, printing out a copy next week, but without having actually experienced it it seems that getting the right double agents will be a game winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
Do you seriously believe that BGG ratings matter that much?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the double agent mechanism will most likely be similar to the Dune/Rex: Final Days of an Empire traitors, where a good draw helps but you must play them at the right time to win.

I'd also like to ask that once you play the game to please write something, I'll be very interested to hear how it actually works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Factor in that Holmes and Moriarty are much better than the other agents; two cubes, two bombs, and an assassination action. Their Double Agent tokens have a higher risk, but also a higher reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
That just means that if you match them, they're really strong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think it's fair to say Holmes and Moriarty are a little more powerful than most agents, they're effectively the "leaders" of the respective factions. Thematically, I think it makes sense that they're never double agents for the other side, and that can just be considered another power that they have.

I've only played around a little bit with my PnP copy, and I can tell you that there are cards that are way more powerful than others, but that's part of the charm of the game. More powerful cards are going to be fought over, so there is an associated cost with obtaining them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Don't you just keep spending actions, adding cubes, until you run out of cubes? Seems the bidding system wouldn't really stop good cards from making the game... awkward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.