Subject: War of Honor vs 4 Gempuku Decks (for the start) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikita Startsev
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the best way to get into the game?

As i understand starter decks have more cards already inside. But do i really need them for the start? Are there any exclusive content i won't be able to get in other sets? How can i develop decks of War of Honor - i won't need starters right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
At the moment the Gempukku starters are the best way to start L5R. The War of Honour decks are from the previous edition and most of the cards in them are not tournament legal any longer. On top of that the decks are built specifically to play WoH and three or so of the cards in each deck are completely useless in a two player game. The Gempukku starters do contain certain fixed cards available nowhere else along with enough cards to build 2-3 different decks so you'll get more variety out of them.

You might also want to consider waiting a few more months for Ivory Edition to come out. That way you'll be able to get in at the start and not be at a huge disadvantage compared to people who have been playing for longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikita Startsev
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what's gonna be in Ivory Edition so it gonna be better than Gempukku?

All the tiles from War of Honor - what's this and any use in a common L5R game?

How many cards are there in Gempukku starters? I've read about 200 and not really sure if that's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Legend of the Five Rings is a CCG and like many CCGs it is split into set called "Editions" currently everyone is playing Emperor Edition and before that we played Celestial Edition. Each time a new edition comes out most of the cards from the previous edition become impossible to use in a tournament.

The tiles from WoH are entirely useless outside of War of Honour.

I'm not certain exactly how many cards are in each starter but that sounds close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Phillips
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play L5R and it was my favorite CCG that I ever played. One of the things I loved about it was that most people tend to play just 1 or 2 different clans, so you don't feel like you have to get every card in the game and it means that more people are willing to trade away their good cards of the clans they don't play.

I'm saying this because I agree with Alice in that you should wait to start buying until the new edition comes out, but you might try to borrow some decks now, so you can try out different clan styles. Once you find a clan that you really like, you'll know which clan box set to buy when Ivory comes out.

I'm really wanting to get back into L5R, but I'm having trouble finding people that play in my area, so it's hard to justify the expense. However, this hasn't stopped me from continuing to look at all the different options to get back into playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Phillips
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
idlepigeon wrote:
Legend of the Five Rings is a CCG and like many CCGs it is split into set called "Editions" currently everyone is playing Emperor Edition and before that we played Celestial Edition. Each time a new edition comes out most of the cards from the previous edition become impossible to use in a tournament.

The tiles from WoH are entirely useless outside of War of Honour.

I'm not certain exactly how many cards are in each starter but that sounds close.

Note that you choose a clan when you buy a starter deck, so your rare cards are going to be designed to work with that clans style.

http://store.alderac.com/emperor-edition-gempukku-starter-de...

Description from AEG site:

224 card starter decks with Common and Uncommon cards from the entire Emperor Edition Arc, as well as 2 exclusive cards for each of the 9 Clans of the Emerald Empire!

Great art from acclaimed artists in the industry, bringing both Rokugan and the Colonies to life.

The rift between the mainland and the Colonies continues to increase as Imperial forces are dispatched to the Second City!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikita Startsev
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a good idea to wait for the new edition. Still don't see any other option to try different clans but buy War of Honor as a ready to go box set for now... but Gempukku is better with starter decks... but the new starters are gonna come up soon surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you want to give L5R a try before dumping a bunch of money on it you should try stopping by a local store and seeing if anyone is willing to give you a demo. The L5R community is pretty small so we're almost always happy to lend new players a hand.

I don't know how big the community is in Russia but if you can find a nearby stronghold store here (imperialassembly.com/#loadpage=storefinder) there's a good chance someone will show you the ropes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the Honor and Treachery Learn to Play set, if you want to get some action in now.

War of Honor is, IMHO, a really good stand-alone product, but isn't going to be of as much use outside of multiplayer games for getting into the game.

The first set (Coils of Madness) that will be legal in the next arc (Ivory Edition) rolls out next month, although that would be a supplement to something like Emperor Edition Gempukku starter decks, not a replacement. AEG's website currently says 2014 for Ivory Edition (barring production disasters, that will mean right away in 2014 because they'll really, really want to have it out in time for the spring Kotei/regional tournament season). So there's still a good 8 months of play to get familiarized with things before the next base set drops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Phillips
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNik wrote:
Looks like a good idea to wait for the new edition. Still don't see any other option to try different clans but buy War of Honor as a ready to go box set for now... but Gempukku is better with starter decks... but the new starters are gonna come up soon :surprise:

Check out this article at TeamCovenant.com. It gives a brief overview of the different play styles of each clan. This won't answer all you questions, but it might help you narrow down the field a bit. for instance, Crab clan concentrates on Defense and big warriors, so if you like to play quickly and aggressively in games, then you wouldn't want to play the Crab clan.

http://teamcovenant.com/felipe/2011/11/24/legend-of-the-five...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikita Startsev
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like we have only 1 store/club in Moscow and that's not where i'm from.

My first step would be to get my wife and close friends into this so i got to get at least 2-3 decks and learn to play by myself. For 8 months War of Honor doesn't seams so bad to get familiar with the system.

Thanks for the link Paul. I really liked Scorpion clan from the start i got to learn about this game so not really sure i gonna chage anything for me. As second and third deck i think about Lion and Dragon as the most simple to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.