Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: new and playing core game. having difficult time as the runner.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boba Fett
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
So i keep playing my wife. and she keeps kicking my butt.
it just always seems she has infinite amount of money; she's playing wayland and i'm playing gabriel. i try the whole run early run a lot strat. but i just don't seem to have enough credits to run through everything. it just seems so easy for her to play ice and rez it. plus its so expensive to run through one piece of ice. Is there something i'm doing wrong or playing wrong? like she'll just stack 4 ices in one place. how does anyone ever have enough credits to go through 4 pieces of ice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Larner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Are you playing with the core decks? The criminal one is not very good, it has a very bad breaker suite, and you will struggle unless you can win very early.

I would suggest trying one of the other factions, and then look at the rules on deck-building and influence. Bringing some of the other factions ice-breakers into Criminal makes Gabriel much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
just ask
United States
California
flag msg tools
I would more suggest that you check to see what money cards you have in your deck. As criminal you should be running 3 codebusting, 3 sure gamble and 3 easy mark minimum. Then you add in the account siphons to generate money while stifling the money the corp has. If you have the expansions I would also add 3 compromised employee.

in a 45 card deck, if you are only running 6 or 7 money cards the odds of you drawing one when you need it are fairly low. I suggest 12-15 money cards in a 45 card deck. Unless you run shaper. >.>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boba Fett
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Jadiel wrote:
Are you playing with the core decks? The criminal one is not very good, it has a very bad breaker suite, and you will struggle unless you can win very early.

I would suggest trying one of the other factions, and then look at the rules on deck-building and influence. Bringing some of the other factions ice-breakers into Criminal makes Gabriel much better.

i just don't understand that how every run i have to pay so much. and she only needs to pay once to rez it? so if she has like 10 ices up what can i actually do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mks
Poland
Loguivy
Côtes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do note that you don't have to break every ice and every subroutine. just take some damage / traces / etc. and go on. I only recently found out that running is fun in this crazyness of not having that much money to deal with every corp trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is she remembering to pay the extra install costs for each ice past the first one on a server?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFettman wrote:
Jadiel wrote:

i just don't understand that how every run i have to pay so much. and she only needs to pay once to rez it? so if she has like 10 ices up what can i actually do?

Not sure if this applies, but is she paying the install costs for ice? Stacking 4 gets expensive on top of trying to rez ice. Are you letting her sit on a mmc and spend turns getting 7? That's a very high profile card for gabe to trash as he often plays an economic war with his opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boba Fett
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Bigland wrote:
Is she remembering to pay the extra install costs for each ice past the first one on a server?

didn't even know that! i'll look into it!
haha that makes sense now.
So if she had a piece of ice that cost 3 before it. and rezed and ice piece that cost 2. she would have to put 3 to rez it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boba Fett
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Niil945 wrote:
TheFettman wrote:
Jadiel wrote:

Not sure if this applies, but is she paying the install costs for ice? Stacking 4 gets expensive on top of trying to rez ice. Are you letting her sit on a mmc and spend turns getting 7? That's a very high profile card for gabe to trash as he often plays an economic war with his opponents.

not sure what an mcc is.
So what i would do i'd run her hand and her server. the one with her hand i keep taking the same card every turnnnn. now running more than once on the hq per turn you only see the same card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moore
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When installing Ice, it costs 1 for each Ice already installed on the server. If there are 3 Ice down, just to play another Ice face down on top of the stack costs 3 credits. Rez costs don't change, however.

Edit: MMC is an asset that allows the corp to spend 3 clicks to gain 7 credits. Each time you successfully run against HQ (hand) you get to pick a card at random. If you run 4 times a turn you could see the same card 4 times or 4 different ones if they have 4 or more cards. Just depends how lucky you get =)

Also, you said she was playing Weyland. Are you using Bad Publicity from her Hostile Takeover agendas? Each Bad Publicity gives you a credit to use during the run that if not used is returned to the bank, but it's every run, on any server.

Just trying to think of things that might be affecting your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFettman wrote:

So if she had a piece of ice that cost 3 before it. and rezed and ice piece that cost 2. she would have to put 3 to rez it?

I confess, so far I've only read the rule book. But the main rule I missed was that, while your first ice installed (not rezzed) on a server is free, the second costs a credit, the third, two credits, etc. At least, I think that's what it said!

Edit: What Niil945 said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boba Fett
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Niil945 wrote:
When installing Ice, it costs 1 for each Ice already installed on the server. If there are 3 Ice down, just to play another Ice face down on top of the stack costs 3 credits. Rez costs don't change, however.

Edit: MMC is an asset that allows the corp to spend 3 clicks to gain 7 credits. Each time you successfully run against HQ (hand) you get to pick a card at random. If you run 4 times a turn you could see the same card 4 times or 4 different ones if they have 4 or more cards. Just depends how lucky you get =)

Also, you said she was playing Weyland. Are you using Bad Publicity from her Hostile Takeover agendas? Each Bad Publicity gives you a credit to use during the run that if not used is returned to the bank, but it's every run, on any server.

Just trying to think of things that might be affecting your game.

i'm just playing possum and pretending to suck... so that she likes the game.. so when i build my decks i can crush herrrrrrrrrr. sorry by hq i meant R & D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- Saturnine -
Germany
flag msg tools
TheFettman wrote:
Bigland wrote:

didn't even know that! i'll look into it!
haha that makes sense now.

I just want to make sure you guys understood that installing ice and rezzing ice are two different things. Ice is installed face-down (like any card the corp installs) in front of a server. Installing a piece of ice on a server costs one credit for every piece of ice already protecting that server (rezzed or unrezzed). So installing the first ice is free, installing the second costs 1 credit, the third costs 2 to install, and so forth. Also, an install action costs a click, so the corp can only install so many cards any given turn.
Then, once you make a run on a server, the corp player has the option to rez each piece of ice as you approach it by paying the rez cost printed on the card (and only the rez cost -- there is no additional penalty for the number of ice installed behind it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matus G
Slovakia
Prešov
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFettman wrote:
So i keep playing my wife. and she keeps kicking my butt.

This sooo reminds me of my games. I play A:NR only with my wife and I have lost like my first 10 games regardless of the side or faction I have played. But it is getting better, now our games are much more balanced (funny thing: I usually play Weyland and my wife plays Gabriel).

I don't want to be an instructor here to tell you what to do. There are much better players who can give you advice. Just wanted to tell you, that it will get better once you find your style and find out what you are doing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen people think that advancing cards doesn't require paying for the tokens, just placing them from the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Aurelius
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://s3.amazonaws.com/FFGflash/Netrunner/netrunner_tutori...

Watch this video and to check if you guys are doing everything correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After doing all your rules checks (and it's hard to know if you're doing stuff right without being at your table)...

Consider swapping sides.

You'll learn a lot about how to play the Runner by playing the Corp, and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boba Fett
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
After doing all your rules checks (and it's hard to know if you're doing stuff right without being at your table)...

Consider swapping sides.

You'll learn a lot about how to play the Runner by playing the Corp, and vice versa.

installing and rezzing a card must be done on two different turns correct?
so if she put an ice down and wants to rez it right away it would cost two clicks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Meledeo
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rezzing does not take a click, and can only be done by an event that forces it to happen or by an encounter with the runner. You typically rez ICE when the runner approaches it. If there are 3 ICE on one server, the runner encounters the first ICE, it is either rezzed (paid by the corp) and dealt with, or not rezzed and automatically passed. Repeat for the next two ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boba Fett
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
meledeo wrote:
Rezzing does not take a click, and can only be done by an event that forces it to happen or by an encounter with the runner. You typically rez ICE when the runner approaches it. If there are 3 ICE on one server, the runner encounters the first ICE, it is either rezzed (paid by the corp) and dealt with, or not rezzed and automatically passed. Repeat for the next two ice.

hrmm i thought i saw a video during a world tournament game where he put the card face up. and it seemed like it was an ice piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
TheFettman wrote:
meledeo wrote:

hrmm i thought i saw a video during a world tournament game where he put the card face up. and it seemed like it was an ice piece.

It could have been installed using Accelerated Beta Test or some other similar ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigland wrote:
TheFettman wrote:

I confess, so far I've only read the rule book. But the main rule I missed was that, while your first ice installed (not rezzed) on a server is free, the second costs a credit, the third, two credits, etc. At least, I think that's what it said!

Edit: What Niil945 said.

This is solved by my "teaching" playmats, unfortunately they use copyrighted pictures, so they will not make it into files section.
If you want to take a look is in shared google file:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_Zlh41hCUOOa2hHZk9f...

PS: they are just in Czech now, I plan to turn them into English, if you will be interested.
PPS: the quality is much better than google shows, you have to download it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corps beating the Runner with some consistency is a pretty standard experience for new players.

Try running more often just to get the Corps to spend money (ie access R&D and HQ). Learn what ICE costs and what damage it can do to you. Make sure to keep your economy up and know when to run on remotes.

Not easy stuff to learn; here's a link to watch some YouTube teaching videos. The ones to pay attention to are a little older and labeled - Running Aggressively.

Happy Hacking!

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCY-D55QCpmIp00pS43YdJ9Q

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Not to sound rude, but it seems like you all are missing some of the basic rules, which leads me to ask: have you actually read the rules?
More than once?

From what I see, all the rules questions you have asked are pretty well covered in the rulebook. Installing cards, ICE install cost, rezzing windows.
Granted, the rulebook has an outdated timing structure (need to get the FAQ and or new rulebook from FFG's site), but it still states that it doesn't cost a click to rez and that ICE install cost increases as you add more to a server.

You just can't learn to play by watching a few videos, you need to read the rules along with some videos and maybe even play a dummy game against yourself reading the rules as you go to get it down.
Then there's all the clarifications in the FAQ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boba Fett
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Wyphy wrote:
Not to sound rude, but it seems like you all are missing some of the basic rules, which leads me to ask: have you actually read the rules?
More than once?

From what I see, all the rules questions you have asked are pretty well covered in the rulebook. Installing cards, ICE install cost, rezzing windows.
Granted, the rulebook has an outdated timing structure (need to get the FAQ and or new rulebook from FFG's site), but it still states that it doesn't cost a click to rez and that ICE install cost increases as you add more to a server.

You just can't learn to play by watching a few videos, you need to read the rules along with some videos and maybe even play a dummy game against yourself reading the rules as you go to get it down.
Then there's all the clarifications in the FAQ...

No offense taken. To be honest we also have a almost 2 year old child. so sometimes it will be weeks since we play. my child actually took a bite out of two cards and i've had to get FFG to send me new ones. so some of it was a bit of an oversight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.