Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

First Strike» Forums » General

Subject: I have original First Strike game; how different is First Strike '62? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I bought the original First Strike game issued by Schutze. I just got wind that First Strike '62 has come out. I did a quick check of Consimworld but it is such a waste of time to slog through with no real index (scrolled through like 6 pages of the game thread without seeing what I want to know)

So, is First Strike '62 a completely new game? I saw a reference that it uses the "First Strike system" so does that mean these are all new scenarios? Can I play these new scenarios with my old game components or not? Can I play the old game scenario with the new components or not?

Please, enquiring minds want to know before shelling out 50$ plus shipping for a game they might already own! I pretty much have all of the games Mr. Costello has designed (as well as a large portion of the rest of the Schutze catalog) and would like to know if this is worth getting if I have the original First Strike already. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It "is" different.

#1: It is boxed.
#2: It is based off the situation in 1962. The other starts in 1983.

Beyond that I do not know for sure. My first clue it was out was seeing it on eBay.

I went to the Schutze website and saw it is a new game. There are 2 pictures and visually it looks the same. The counter mix art shows 1962 equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:
It "is" different.

#1: It is boxed.
#2: It is based off the situation in 1962. The other starts in 1983.

Beyond that I do not know for sure. My first clue it was out was seeing it on eBay.

I went to the Schutze website and saw it is a new game. There are 2 pictures and visually it looks the same. The counter mix art shows 1962 equipment.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I guess the lack of a BGG listing for a new game and the similarity of components (I also saw a pic that had it looking visually the same) had me more confused than I should have been. The units in '62 will be much different from the units in the original obviously: been so long since I got it, I didn't remember the original was set in '83. Still curious if the system is the same or has been altered.

Should have played the DTP, so I'd know whether this new boxed '62 version will be worth it . Anyway, thanks again for your reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Costello
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
John -

* The game uses the same basic system as it's parent First Strike, with modifications and additions as required to match the history.

The following link will take you to the Game Folder, which is in the Potential Conflicts area of Consimworld.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd5651f/4139

* There are several questions answered and map and sample counters shown, and down a few posts at Post 4014 three links are provided to the final development AAR's which include full description and narrative.

Best;

BC

* PS - (I generally prefer Consimworld because I am not pleased at the latter day difficulty of posting materials in BGG and going through the 'censorship committee', which has arbitrarily seen fit in past to not post game files I have tried to upload to BGG. Aggravation... who NEEDS it? Not I...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony Coster wrote:
John -
* There are several questions answered and map and sample counters shown, and down a few posts at Post 4014 three links are provided to the final development AAR's which include full description and narrative.

Thanks so much for the post reference. I also prefer Consimworld as a community, but it is sometimes literally impossible to find some info that you want.

Tony Coster wrote:
* PS - (I generally prefer Consimworld because I am not pleased at the latter day difficulty of posting materials in BGG and going through the 'censorship committee', which has arbitrarily seen fit in past to not post game files I have tried to upload to BGG. Aggravation... who NEEDS it? Not I...)

You're preaching to the choir :-). I stopped contributing $ and my time/effort to BGG after I spent 30+ minutes inputting a new obscure game I saw on a shelf in Singapore to the database (looked up info on the game online, typed in all the info they wanted). Then BGG post police did not put the game in the database as I did not "give enough gameplay description" in the description section. That was the last time I'll contribute anything to this site outside of the discussion forums. Value my time and honest effort at zero? Then zero is what you'll get from me .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Costello
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
SO I put a 'winky face' in reply, and get the message "Your message is too short."

ROTFLMAO!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.