Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Triassic Terror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Raptors Scattering rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question on the Raptors scatter ability. We had this situation in our first game:

Middle area of the swamp 8 red in the primary habitat, 7 green in the secondary and 2 purple in the third habitat. The Rapter moves in and eats two red then wants to scatter the 2 purple dinos. There is an open habitat in the top area and three full in the bottom Swamp area, with the third habitat holding 3 blue dinos.

The question was can the red player scatter purple to the lower area and essential kill them off as they would be the smallest herd or would he have to scatter them to the top area where they would slot into the third habbitat?

The rules are unclear on if scattering dinos to an area where they would just die off was a legal move.

Thanks for the help...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Hopwood
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Dinos must be scattered to the same environment they
are currently in. Only when there is no habitat
available (or blocked by a volcano- see below), can
they be scattered to a hostile environment where
they will suffer shock.


Our group have interpreted this as saying an area with all habitats filled with two or more dino's are 'blocked', forcing the scatter to the next available area and/or environment.


EarlofBronze wrote:
I have a question on the Raptors scatter ability. We had this situation in our first game:

Middle area of the swamp 8 red in the primary habitat, 7 green in the secondary and 2 purple in the third habitat. The Rapter moves in and eats two red then wants to scatter the 2 purple dinos. There is an open habitat in the top area and three full in the bottom Swamp area, with the third habitat holding 3 blue dinos.

The question was can the red player scatter purple to the lower area and essential kill them off as they would be the smallest herd or would he have to scatter them to the top area where they would slot into the third habbitat?

The rules are unclear on if scattering dinos to an area where they would just die off was a legal move.

Thanks for the help...:D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think blocked means if you are in the top or bottom section and a volcano is in the middle that is when they are forced to move habitats.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiwi187 wrote:
Quote:
Dinos must be scattered to the same environment they
are currently in. Only when there is no habitat
available (or blocked by a volcano- see below), can
they be scattered to a hostile environment where
they will suffer shock.

Our group have interpreted this as saying an area with all habitats filled with two or more dino's are 'blocked', forcing the scatter to the next available area and/or environment.

It seems to make sense to play it like that, I agree, but this rule actually does not cover that situation at all. There seems to be nothing in the rules to prevent a player from scattering a group of dinos from an opponent to an area that is already full and where they can't survive because they are the smallest group.

A follow up question would be: if all habitats in the swamp in all areas are filled, but every habitat contains only a single animal, may the player scatter the two animals to a hostile environment (thus killing one) instead of displacing a herd of another player in the same environment (swamp)? The rules seem to indicate that this is indeed a valid move.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlofBronze wrote:

The question was can the red player scatter purple to the lower area and essential kill them off as they would be the smallest herd or would he have to scatter them to the top area where they would slot into the third habbitat?
D


No, he can't scatter purple to a habitat containing 3 dinos and kill them off. If he chooses to scatter them, he must scatter them to the top area which is empty. Raptors would be way to powerful if each raptor could kill 4 per turn, making 8 in total. Dino scattering is by the "owner" of the raptors but he must scatter them to an area where they have a chance of surviving rather than to instant extinction.

Raptor Scattering Clarification

1. Remember you may choose to scatter 0, 1 or 2 Dinos and this may include your own Dinos. Starting from a central area, if both teriary habitats above and below this area contain 1 opponent's dino, you may choose to scatter 1 dino there and it dies. If you chose to scatter two OF THE SAME COLORED dinos, then you can't scatter 1 up and 1 down, sending both to their death: you must scatter them both to the same habitat where they would displace the single opposing dino.

If both tertiary habitats contain 2 dinos, this is when dinos may be scattered to the adjacent new environment where, if it is empty, one will survive. Of course you can choose to scatter one and it will die. You can scatter 2, but each one from a different herd in the central area and each will die.

2. If an empty habitat exists in the same environment, they must be scattered there first.

3. If habitats you are considering scattering to contain 1 dino, then if you scatter 1 dino there it will die, but if you choose to scatter 2 dinos from the same herd they must go together and will displace the current single occupier.

4. Only when all possible habitats available for scattering to contain 2 or more dinos, can scattered dinos be sent to a new environment and then they must be scattered together so that 1 may survive after environmental shock occurs. Again, you may choose to scatter 1 which will die.

The over-riding rule is, scattered dinos must go to a habitat where they have a chance of survival, rather than to instant extinction. The owner of the raptor decides how many to scatter and in what order and to where, when there are several available habitats.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Peter. That was actually how we played it... really like the game! Lots of fun!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jimenez
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Peter Hawes wrote:

2. If an empty habitat exists in the same environment, they must be scattered there first.


Hi Peter,

I'm reading this thinking you've written this in the context of scattering from the central area. Could you please clarify that scattering also happens to adjacent areas only; e.g., if you scatter from the bottom area, you can only try for middle first, then either areas in new environments on either side?

Taken out of context, your description there could mean that you could scatter to any area (regardless of adjacency) in the same environment.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Collins
Australia
Melbourne
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Mark. This needs an answer. Peter, if I'm scattering from an outer area, normally I would have to maintain adjacency. Can I scatter to the inner-most area to keep within the spirit of scattering?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark and Greg, I am sorry I did not see this question earlier. As I mentioned to Greg , my subscription to this game on BGG is faulty. I received no new subscription notification.

Scattering must be to an adjacent area, so if dinos are scattered from an outer area, they must be scattered to a central area of that environment. Only if all 3 habitats in that central area are occupied by 2 or more dinos is scattering not possible to that central area and the possiblity of scattering to a new environment possible.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.