Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I pledged at the Captain level, plus 15 real cash bucks. I was hoping some of you could help me to decide how to best spend my money ($15). I added the money to help contribute towards the fire drake stretch, but I didn't go much farther than that. Here are my options.

1) Get Spriggan model
2) Get Skalds models
3) Get Cyclops minions
4) Get Cyclops captains

I guess because I'll only have the base number of cyclopes so I foresee needing more. Also, I've noticed a lot of people discussing double lairs. Does that mean I would have to get the lairs add-on? I guess I could use a different lair model. Actually, I could do the same for the cyclopes problem. What do you all say?

5) Get lairs
6) Get item expansion deck
7) Get Slaughterfield supplement deck

Who is excited for this game come January?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Double lairs is only if you want to have two of the same creature lairs on a single tile and the number you need is the maximum that is likely to be needed. You could still play double lairs by using proxies etc. if you want.

If you only have $15 then I would personally go for the Spriggan. It's a KS exclusive miniature (the cards will be available later with the Druid character) which means you will not be able to obtain it outside of the KS (eBay notwithstanding). Everything else will be available at retail at a later date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
Double lairs is only if you want to have two of the same creature lairs on a single tile and the number you need is the maximum that is likely to be needed. You could still play double lairs by using proxies etc. if you want.

If you only have $15 then I would personally go for the Spriggan. It's a KS exclusive miniature (the cards will be available later with the Druid character) which means you will not be able to obtain it outside of the KS (eBay notwithstanding). Everything else will be available at retail at a later date.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you know if the $15 I contributed during the campaign can be used towards anything I want, or are add-ons something I pay for after the KS ends? I hope it's the former because that's the impression I got. I think the Spriggan comes with a deck, actually. It says so on the KS page. So far, this is my top choice. However, if it is indeed similar to the druid, I don't see the point of having it, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
Do you know if the $15 I contributed during the campaign can be used towards anything I want, or are add-ons something I pay for after the KS ends?

Yes, you can use the $15 you added for add-ons.

kraasn wrote:
I think the Spriggan comes with a deck, actually.

It does. Jonah merely wanted to mention that though the miniature is a Kickstarter exclusive, the cards are not exclusive, and will again be available as the Druid deck.

kraasn wrote:
However, if it is indeed similar to the druid, I don't see the point of having it, I guess.

It's the same deck. So, I guess it depends on whether you prefer a Druid or a Spriggan character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you know if the $15 I contributed during the campaign can be used towards anything I want, or are add-ons something I pay for after the KS ends? I hope it's the former because that's the impression I got.

When the pledge manager comes along (within a month or so) you can spend that $15 on whatever upgrades you want. You CAN also spend additional $$'s at this stage to get more stuff as well.

If you just get one of the four items you listed you will end up paying $115. If you grab ALL of the items listed you will have paid the $115 you pledged plus an extra $45, so $160 total.

You can also go totally wild with the pledge manager and add everything. You basically get a $15 discount here (what you have already paid), but anything in addition to that will cost you more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the extra over your pledge goes wherever you want, you decide in the pledge manager, whenever it is that is made available =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know. None of the other projects I backed had a need for a pledge manager for add-on items.

There are quite a few things I would like to add-on, trust me. However, some things, like the treasure bag are cosmetic and unnecessary. Besides I have a perfectly good Hello Kitty bag to use for that. Ha.

Is there any word yet about whether or not the add-on prices will be the same for all time from MERCS' website? Or do these come with a KS discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
Good to know. None of the other projects I backed had a need for a pledge manager for add-on items.

There are quite a few things I would like to add-on, trust me. However, some things, like the treasure bag are cosmetic and unnecessary. Besides I have a perfectly good Hello Kitty bag to use for that. Ha.

Is there any word yet about whether or not the add-on prices will be the same for all time from MERCS' website? Or do these come with a KS discount.

Nothing confirmed yet but I would expect things to be bundled together as expansions. So there will be an elemental expansions with the boss, a couple of captains and some minions for example. I think these will most likely retail a little cheaper than through the KS, especially if you go through independent sellers. but we have no way of knowing for sure.

And yeah, the Spriggan comes with the card deck but the miniature itself is KS exclusive. It is just an alternative miniature for the Druid which will also come with the same deck but it is the only thing you can really miss out on now. Also the sleeves are probably going to be exclusive so you might want to grab those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:

Nothing confirmed yet but I would expect things to be bundled together as expansions. So there will be an elemental expansions with the boss, a couple of captains and some minions for example.

I hope this is not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
Josephus wrote:
My impression is that the prices for many of the additional items are discounted.

I would get confirmation on that before simply assuming it. I know Kingdom Death and Sedition Wars had add-ons at a discounted price as part of the Kickstarter, but they were also very vocal about letting people know that during the Kickstarter. I haven't seen any information from MERCS yet to suggest this is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:
Josephus wrote:
My impression is that the prices for many of the additional items are discounted.

I would get confirmation on that before simply assuming it. I know Kingdom Death and Sedition Wars had add-ons at a discounted price as part of the Kickstarter, but they were also very vocal about letting people know that during the Kickstarter. I haven't seen any information from MERCS yet to suggest this is the case.

Yeah, I've seen other KS' that state explicitly that they are offering things at a discounted price. As the game is a board game and not a miniatures game I doubt they will be selling the smaller stuff separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spriggen! Everything else you can get later.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely NOT order extra cyclopes at this point. There are a lot of better things you can get for your money, and we don't even know for sure how many cyclopes you need for a game (it could be that MERCS doesn't know themselves, if they aren't completely done developing the race's stats). If they are as powerful and low-spawning as the elementals, the "sweet spot" might only be 10 or 12.

I'd order the Spriggan as my top choice. It sounds like druid isn't going to be released for quite a while, and it will be cool to have a KS-exclusive (and very cool!) mini.

From most to least important I would rate the gameplay-enhancing add-ons as:
Spriggan
Skald
Extra treasures
Extra quests
elemental boss
Agents of Darkness and/or Slaughterfield
game tile add-on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Handley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Solid argument to be made for this. Even though you'd get better value out of the Skald (2 minis, and a hero deck that will not be re-used later), the Spriggan mini is the only add-on that is a KS exclusive.

Also, something worth noting, the extra lairs add-on is for extra lair sculpts. Even if you want to do double lairs with what you have, the core game will come with punch out cardboard lairs you can use in addition to your stretch goal sculpts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Swart
United States
Moscow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WunupKid wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Solid argument to be made for this. Even though you'd get better value out of the Skald (2 minis, and a hero deck that will not be re-used later), the Spriggan mini is the only add-on that is a KS exclusive.

Also, something worth noting, the extra lairs add-on is for extra lair sculpts. Even if you want to do double lairs with what you have, the core game will come with punch out cardboard lairs you can use in addition to your stretch goal sculpts.

Totally Agree. The Spriggan is a Exclusive. You will be kicking yourself later for not getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Da Black Gobo wrote:
WunupKid wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Totally Agree. The Spriggan is a Exclusive. You will be kicking yourself later for not getting it.

Only if you feel that you need it. Some people don't mind missing out on exclusives. I usually want to have exclusives but with Zombicide Season Two for example there ended up being so many that I've just given up and decided against getting them all. Having said that I have gone for the Spriggan because I don't want to miss out and MERCS have been so good at not inundating us with paid for exclusives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still undecided on the Spriggan. I mean, the Skald comes with two figures. If the Spriggan is genderless and shares a deck with the druid, then it's likely that there will be two druid figures. I'm fine with alt. gender characters, but I think three miniatures for one hero deck is a bit much. Right now I am thinking of getting the elemental boss and some of the add-on decks.

I really hope the guys and gals at MERCS read these posts. If so, please consider making Marcus the Ready mini-boss-sized. He looks huge in that concept art, and I really hope he is. Especially, if he's a hired hand in the Slaughterfield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get one of the heroes personally, or perhaps slaughterfield cards.

Most of the other addons don't seem like they'll be useful until you've played a lot and need the extra, like quests and treasures. Waiting and getting them later is fine. (I know the heroes are a variation thing too in some way, but it's nice to have hero choice to satisfy every player)

kraasn wrote:
I'm still undecided on the Spriggan. I mean, the Skald comes with two figures. If the Spriggan is genderless and shares a deck with the druid, then it's likely that there will be two druid figures. I'm fine with alt. gender characters, but I think three miniatures for one hero deck is a bit much. Right now I am thinking of getting the elemental boss and some of the add-on decks.

You could just...not buy the druid =P I think it's really cool that they're making an exclusive design available to us without locking out everyone else on the mechanics. I think it's a terrible shame on kickstarters that people can't get the same stuff afterwards (Trickster for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
I think it's really cool that they're making an exclusive design available to us without locking out everyone else on the mechanics. I think it's a terrible shame on kickstarters that people can't get the same stuff afterwards (Trickster for example).

I agree! I think that more Kickstarters should go the way of exclusive art/figures while still offering the mechanics/content to everyone. This was a great way to do that with the Spriggan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.