3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Fusion of classic Risk and Lotr-triology-risk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Severin Meier
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Hello Community of fellow boardgame enjoyers.

Me and my friends have been playing the original Risk and newer versions of it every now and then over the past couple of years. We are almost always 6 players and often have to disappoint some fellas when there are no more free chairs at the gametable.
However we've grown tierd of the risk map since by now everyone knows that starting in Australia or S.America is the best strategy. Also, the map seems too crowded and rarely anyone aside from those in S.America or Australia gets to hold a continent because we are all very agressive players (Imagine emotions on the level of a soccer-turnament-finale) So I've been looking around for a new map to play on and came across the Lord of the Rings Triology edition map.
I fell in love.
64 Countries, 9 Continents and lord of the rings themed. So i bought it expecting a standard risk but bigger. Now I have the thing and I'm a bit disappointed. Only 4 players? No way this will suffice! No secret missions? What's the deal with the journey of the Ring as major game mechanic? In short I don't like it's mechanics at all and I wanted to alter it in a way that we can play 6 (or even more?) player risk with secret missions on the awesome map.
The Changes so far:
- No Adventure cards
- No Keep or Warlord bonus.
- No journey of the ring.
- Secret missions.
Sadly I have no Idea what kind of secret missions we need and how to make them balanced. I have a standard version of risk, so the 6 different armies won't be a problem. I also don't know if we have to alter some of the pathing on the map. If a player gets isolated to the norht they will have no real chance to get to the south of the map. We could just say that the top is connected to the bottom of the map like Kamtshatka is connected to Alaska in standard risk.

Input? Ideas? Help pls, I realy want to make this work.
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First you have to solve the problem how to get the two extra color sets for the fifth & sixth players first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps reading some of the non-LotR works can give you ideas for missions.

Ex:
-- From the Hobbit: Capture the location "Smaug's Mountain"
-- From the Silmarillion: Conquer the region of Beleriand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.