23 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Counter scans site gone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Appleyard
Australia
flag msg tools
I have been trying to check a set of counters against a scan of the countersheet at www.isimulacrum.com for a few days and it has been unavailable. initially I wasn't too concerned as that seems to happen every now and again, but today I got this:

"This domain has expired. If you owned this domain, contact your domain registration service provider for further assistance. If you need help iden..."etc

Doesn't sound good. Has anyone got any insight as to what may have happened to that valuable wargaming resource?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the interim: http://web.archive.org/web/20121124152317/http://www.isimulacrum.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Appleyard
Australia
flag msg tools
Nice work around - some of the pages still show that error page but I was able to get what I need for now at least - Thanks!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did I not know about this site? Missed opportunities...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Somebody needs to buy the URL ASAP so that it doesn't get snapped up by parkers (who will hold it hostage).

I sent an email to the site owner, but the his address may not be up-to-date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:

See, Ben, if you'd have put your CSW account to work, you'd have seen that this was linked on the CSW front page. (There's probably other stuff there you would like, too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Working for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
elbmc1969 wrote:
Somebody needs to buy the URL ASAP so that it doesn't get snapped up by parkers (who will hold it hostage).

I sent an email to the site owner, but the his address may not be up-to-date.

what is wrong with a new site and a new url.?
its the content you want right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
delp1871 wrote:

See, Ben, if you'd have put your CSW account to work, you'd have seen that this was linked on the CSW front page. (There's probably other stuff there you would like, too.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've known about the site for a long time, but I think that BGG rendered it obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
I've known about the site for a long time, but I think that BGG rendered it obsolete.

I may be wrong, but just eyeballing it, I think they may be higher res than what BGG normally allows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
what is wrong with a new site and a new url.?
its the content you want right.

A new URL means lots of existing links to the site from various other places would all be broken. And of course people who know about the old URL wouldn't necessarily know where to find the site at a new URL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
Rindu wrote:

I may be wrong, but just eyeballing it, I think they may be higher res than what BGG normally allows.

From what I recall, I think you may be right. Plus I think there is some material there that is not represented here. That's why it's good to have both.

I can understand why BGG must adopt the hi-res ban. But for counterhseets I think it is silly. I don't have any evidence, but I would surmise that there is virtually nobody who would choose to print off an entire non-OOP wargame instead of buying the commercially produced copy. I think that also holds for OOP titles, from the reasonably up to the insanely priced. And having the countersheets alone is far from sufficient. Printing counters is one thing, but given the price of printing 22"x34" maps is fairly prohibitive, must less securing those images. (I've made countersheets before for impossible to find long-OOP stuff that have had sheets missing, and I can tell you I am NOT eager to ever do it again! Who has the time for this?)

But the hi-res scans do serve an important purpose for the replacement of lost or damaged counters. I don't think people who do not currently own more counters than the population of Lichtenstein quite get this fact. The lo-res shots are good for inventory purposes, but most wargamers I know have had to do some replacements at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
But the hi-res scans do serve an important purpose for the replacement of lost or damaged counters. I don't think people who do not currently own more counters than the population of Lichtenstein quite get this fact. The lo-res shots are good for inventory purposes, but most wargamers I know have had to do some replacements at some point.

Couldn't agree more. When uploading countersheets, I have tried to sneak the hi-res shots through first. I want to say that I got away with it once, but I'm not positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
If you mean this one:

http://www.isimulacrum.com/Scans.php

It is up...but the date seems wrong on the update. They may have had a crash and are restoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'm practicing Necromancy with this thread, but it looks like the Simulcrum site is now truly gone with no alternative I could find. Yes BGG has scans of most sheets but Simulcrum's were of higher resolution which was great for Vassal modules which is my intention. Can any one provide news on what happened?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
John Kula, the owner of the site and editor of Simulacrum, died suddenly at the end of 2016.

John Kula, 1946-2016: Wargame artist, designer and chronicler

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that thread. Thanks for the information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think John would have found it kind of funny that you mentioned necromancy in this context!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was TheWargamer.com his site too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that was someone else (sorry, no idea who).

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

On checking over the link provided above to get to the version of the site on the Wayback Machine, it appears that some of the scans are still there.
I checked 2 of 789 so two anyway...

The site references a "Jonathan Arnold" with an email address (see below).
I do vaguely recall John (Kula) saying that Jonathan was keeping things up, and then he ceased communicating with him, not sure why but he is no longer around to ask.
There are five "Jonathan Arnolds" on BGG but only one of them seems to be active.

Brian

Quote:
Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Last modified: Tue Jun 07 16:04:26 Eastern Daylight Time 2005
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I found the list of scans. I'm new at this. Is there a handy way to tell which URL is which game?

Edit: Never mind I figured it out, I was doing it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.