Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found it very difficult to obtain good/great rating when you choose the 2 day scenario (forgot the terms). With only so much SO to purchase, you are limited with very few airplanes.

Even with libya campaign (25+ for great), in 2 days, assuming you can afford 2 battles/days, obtaining a consistent 6 vps per deployment is hard.

How can you afford a great rating in this short scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Medeiros
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that Show of Force (the two day scenario) gives you +1 VP per battalion destroyed on the first day. That means that all else equal, it's better to go for quantity over quality on the first day: try attacking 3 (or even 4?) lower-VP battalions on day 1, then maybe 2 high-VP ones on day two. Also in Show of Force, the mobile Support and Command battalions are 1 range band closer, so less stress/ordnance penalty.
In this scenario in particular, it pays to get as many different aircraft types as possible. Then you can stress your pilots to the max, and swap them out for the extra pilot on the second day -- here, the short time span can play in your favor (no day 3 when you have to put someone back in the cockpit who's already flown).
That said, it's a delicate balancing act, with little margin for error. I played two Show of Force/Iraq 91 games this week. The first one I abandoned after the first day: I attacked three battalions and fell a little short of destroying each of the three: 4 VPs instead of the 13 I was aiming for for the day. I then replayed the game, with the exact same aircraft, pilots, and battalions, and managed a "Good" score (17 VPs, 10 on first day). You've got to go all out and go for the kill... and still be lucky with crucial rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yes, i agree..

it just seems that ALL the circumstances have to be in your favour..

No annoying back/supply batallion drafted (such as -weight point/-SO)
3-4 assault batallion with 1/2 VPs (possibly easy target such as truck, etc)..

ALL HIT die roll (you deploy probably 2, 3 max aircraft per deployment. Chances are, your ordnances are _Just enough_)

Probably _just enough_ structure hit (those die roll modifying such as HUD damage is very detrimental).

The bottom line, I think if you're possessed to aim for Greatness, better play the longer campaign 4-6 days >.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Medeiros
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I can now confirm that getting a "Great" score in Libya 1984, Show of Force, is indeed possible. I was interested to try the challenge after reading this post, and managed it on my first try! ...barely. It was very close, and I definitely had some lucky breaks.
Honestly, I'm fine with it being pretty challenging to get "Great" - I've been a bit spoiled by playing "Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations", where it seems rather easier to get the top score rank.

Here are the details, if you're interested:
I drew the following battalions: 2A, 3A, 5A, 11A, 12A; 4S, 5S; 2C, 6C (just making the 33 VPs of battalions for Libya 84).
I elected to use the random squadron selection optional rule (so, +4 SOs, for 34 total to spend), and ended up with 3 AH-1s and 3 A-10s, and drew Halo, Pirate, Rebel, and Thor (and all the AH-1 pilots, obviously). Taking a Scout as well, I had spent 31 SOs. I raised Grandpa to Skilled to get rid of a negative modifier, and elected to drop Rebel to Green to compensate - he was still effective, and I had in mind already to send him against the +1 XP battalion so he could be Average for the second day (he needs only 3 XP to advance from Green).

On my first day, I had the "Reduced Enemy Air Cover" special condition (I mentioned I was lucky this game!). Mission 1 of the day had Thor and Rebel attack 5S (the -1 Loiter turn special effect -- wanted to knock this one out ASAP), with a scout to extend their time over target (by 3 rounds, in the event). In this, and every other mission I ran in this campaign, I spent 1 SO arming the planes. They destroyed it (barely), for 5 VPs. I sent Pirate and Scuttle against 2C (the one giving +2 to assault battalion move rolls); they killed it for 4 VPs. Then Freak and Grandpa knocked out 11A (taking advantage of its lack of helicopters, due to the special condition in effect); I loaded them up with hellfires and a rocket pod each, and they got the job done, for 5 more VPs. That brought me to 14 VPs total for the day.

I had racked up a fair bit of damage -- engine hits on two of the AH-1s, 2 pylon hits and bullet holes spread among the A-10s. But I decided to repair none of it: that way I could send out 3 missions again with 1 So each of armaments on day 2, and still have 3 SOs left over in case the B-52 strike homebound mission event card came up. It hadn't surfaced in the first day; I was going to run through the cards and have to reshuffle in 3 second day missions, meaning I had better than 50/50 odds of drawing it as a homebound event. I was again lucky, and drew it as the homebound event of the first mission of the second day - I used it to wipe out a big nasty 5 VP battalion (VP) that I had no intention of risking my planes on (that pushed me over the edge -- I would have only scored "Good" without this break).
In day 2, my special condition was "Increased Satellite Reconnaissance Data" (again going my way). The newly promoted Rebel, Freak, and Grandpa took on the rather dangerous 12A Air Defense Unit (2 Evasive-1 guys and a Fast pilot), wiping it out for 4 VPs. Pirate and Scuttle successfully destroyed the Mechanized 3A (though Scuttle, in particular, took a huge amount of fire), for 3 VPs. Finally, I sent Thor by himself (well, with help from a Scout) against 6C, and for once his awesome cannon fire failed again and again against the buildings; I got it only half-destroyed, for one more VP.

Total for the campaign: 27, squeaking out a "Great" score by a one point margin. It was pretty hairy, and I had a number of lucky breaks. Some tactics that helped: putting Mavericks (AGM-65s) and GBUs on the A-10s, so they could go up to High altitude and attack two hexes at once to knock out the scariest threats. I ended up drawing two pop-up helicopters as a result, but packing a single AIM-9 almost every mission just in case (and drawing relatively benign red hits) saved the day. I think I put a fuel pod on every A-10 every time, as the cannon is very effective with time to put it to use. And my gamble on the B-52 strike made the difference.

Hope that helps; happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.