David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the working rules for the Order of the New Dawn (The Order)

Version 2.1 (updated 27 April 2013)

http://www.skirmishtactics.com/Order.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind, of all the characters presented, the Nethermancer and Thrall (and the way they interact) is the most likely to undergo fairly significant change. Definitely looking for feedback there. RT suggested making multiple levels of Thralls ,with each level associated with the same level Nethermancer. I'm going to explore that...

I also realized seconds after uploading the faction guide that I forgot to include the Mindless ability on the Thrall character cards. I'll fix that tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, we really love Order. It really is awesome. Actually we kind of found it rather accidentally this morning (Singapore time) when we randomly searched www.skirmishtactics.com/Order.pdf for fun. We hope to check out the characters soon

By the way, some quick observations on Order, we believe that terrify should also affect Erthen characters. Also, is the cost of the Order characters the same as the characters in other Factions? The last we checked, some of them were quite cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you guys stumbled on it before the update. Re-download it; the prices should be similar to the revised versions of the other characters. Check the version number. You should have v2.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, everyone who has downloaded the Order faction be aware: I updated the file at 7:30PM (Central US time) on 25 April. If you downloaded the v2.0 document before that time, please download it again to get the current version.

The changes include:

- Re-cost the Nethermancer. He can now use Nethergate to create Thralls of different levels. Nethermancers cannot heal each other with Transfer Life. There is no way for a Nethermancer to get healed...and they lose a point of health when they create Thralls...this is an intentional balancing mechanism.

- Re-cost Thralls and created new versions at Veteran and Elite levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.
Going to try them this weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one question, does transfer life mean that the nethermancer can only deal one damage to an enemy in a round?

Really like Order of the New Dawn, but why do thralls move so slowly now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, it caps at just one damage...think of it like the free CC attack a character gets when another character withdraws.

Glad you asked about the Thrall movement. My thinking is that typically the Nethermancer is going to create a Thrall next to a target and then the thrall will attack. I didn't want to create a situation where a Nethermancer creates a thrall and then the thrall moves and covers a huge combined distance. I also envision the thrall as a mindless, shambling creature.

I'm wide open to changes, so let me know how the combo works out in play.

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, we just playtested Order with Echo and we are working on the report. It was a really good fight though the ending was somewhat anti-climatic.

We will try the Nethermancer-Thrall combo probably next monday. Will update you when we do that.

One question, is Wraith's Terrify, is it unable to affect erthen for a reason?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One question, is Wraith's Terrify, is it unable to affect erthen for a reason?

It should. Just an oversight on my part. I'll fix that. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, fixed the Terrify description. Re-download and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a thought, what if terrify does not affect huge characters as they do not get intimidated by the wraith as it is a small character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'll have to consider that. I don't want to limit the list of non-affected characters too much, but we can try it out and see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple changes for v2.1.

The Carnage character cards were improperly priced. Paul and Clarence suggested changing the costs in a geekmail they sent to me. When I went to look at the Carnage, I realized I had not properly updated its cost when I transitioned to v2.0.

The cost for the Wraith has also been tweaked just a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does transfer life mean that nethermancers cannot destroy elevation as they cannot make a normal range combat attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Do you think I should explicitly state that in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrify(and toxin burst) should not be able to destroy elevation right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Check the rulebook under Area Attacks. No Area Attack power can be used to destroy Elevated Terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, by the way, we did another playtest and we hope to post it soon. Just a couple of thoughts, wraith may be a bit too cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding area attacks, wouldn't it be logical for a flamethrower or fire column to be able to destroy elevation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks, by the way, we did another playtest and we hope to post it soon. Just a couple of thoughts, wraith may be a bit too cheap.

I'm looking forward to your recap and analysis of the Wraith (as well as the rest of the Order and Echo - I still haven't been able to focus on them much, so I'm really leaning heavily on you guys, Ricardo, and some of my local blind playtesters.

Quote:
Regarding area attacks, wouldn't it be logical for a flamethrower or fire column to be able to destroy elevation

Absolutely, from a realist/simulationist perspective. The problem is it would be WAY too powerful to allow the entire area affect against numerous squares. Everyone who has a physical area attack (except the Grenadier) can make a normal RC attack against a single square of Elevated Terrain, so just think of them as focusing fire. Let me know if you guys really don't like this rule. I'm interested, but if I allowed area attacks to destroy multiple squares of Elevated and Blocking Terrain, the costs for those abilities would increase significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Order of the Echolight
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we allowed to transfer life from our own allies, for example, you do not want to get in range of your enemy and yet want to heal your ally, thus you summon out a thrall and transfer life from the thrall to your ally to heal your ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, hurting your own characters is totally fair game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First impressions:
Horde assault: Add the “Not Cumulative” to make it very very very clear…

I would like to see Nethergate on recruit level, and the possibility of sacrifice nethermancer for one thrall.
To keep it balanced, remove the Transfer life from recruit.

Terrify doesn’t look good to me, since it affects all around with only 2 range… a little short.
My suggestion, change the terrify area to look alike the pyro column (3x5). It would like more logic.
“When I looked into his face, or what used to be his face, blood left my veins…”

And for me it’s 0k, trying to playtest it ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
First impressions:
Horde assault: Add the “Not Cumulative” to make it very very very clear…

Good call. I'll update it this weekend.

Quote:
I would like to see Nethergate on recruit level, and the possibility of sacrifice nethermancer for one thrall.
To keep it balanced, remove the Transfer life from recruit.

Ouch. No ability to heal at Recruit? Lt me see how expensive the nethermancer would be at recruit by adding Nethergate. It might work just by adding the new ability. It would probably boost him by a point or two.

Quote:
Terrify doesn’t look good to me, since it affects all around with only 2 range… a little short.
My suggestion, change the terrify area to look alike the pyro column (3x5). It would like more logic.
“When I looked into his face, or what used to be his face, blood left my veins…”

And for me it’s 0k, trying to playtest it ASAP.

Ok. Sounds like Terrify needs some tweaking in a couple respects. I'll come up with a couple alternative templates, but I do like the idea of a template that simulates looking at the wraith to be terrified. I wonder if something like a small flamethrower template would be best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.