Popular Tags: [View All]
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very annoying when a user deletes the first post of a thread, and the context is lost. It seems like a lot of the time people do this because a question they have asked has been answered and they think they are 'cleaning up' a thread that is no longer needed.

The message shown when you delete a thread is the same as when you delete a reply:

Quote:
Are you sure you want to delete this article?

I suggest that, at least for threads, this message is amended to something like:

Quote:
Are you sure you want to delete this article?
Note: Deleting this article does not delete any replies to it, or any quotes of it.

This may encourage people to leave threads in place once they are answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
More than anything else the reason to make such a change is to save new users blushes and to make the site more user friendly for them while they're learning the ropes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it would be great to be able to delete a full thread. For instance, when you have posted a variant and it turns out it is bad and then you amend it and want to share about the new improved version.

This way, you only keep the best, most helpful topics you have created and the best topics for the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. Once others have replied to your thread, you should not be able to delete their content. Even if you may not think an old thread is useful it may be to someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
I disagree. Once others have replied to your thread, you should not be able to delete their content. Even if you may not think an old thread is useful it may be to someone else.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Precisely. Maybe you're embarrassed for asking a "dumb" question, but you're probably not the only person who's wondered the same thing. I do agree, though, that the confirmation box should make clear that you're leaving orphan posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Meh, so why let people delete their OP and not the full thread? A headless thread doesn't make much sense.

A good option would be that all users who posted in a thread where the OP has been deleted get a notification asking them if they are OK to delete their posts in that thread. Just one click so that it is kept simple and encourages to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
Meh, so why let people delete their OP and not the full thread? A headless thread doesn't make much sense.

Because the site owners believe you should be able to edit or delete your own content at any time, but not anyone elses. So deleting your own OP is allowed, just like deleting your own reply. Deleting other's replies is not allowed.

With OPs though, we know that some users think that it does actually delete the entire thread, which is why I made the suggestion in this OP in the first place.

beri2 wrote:
A good option would be that all users who posted in a thread where the OP has been deleted get a notification asking them if they are OK to delete their posts in that thread. Just one click so that it is kept simple and encourages to do it.

That's not a good option at all. It requires every replier to the thread to be alive, still an active user of the site, bothered enough to check what they are being asked to delete when they get a notification, and that they agree to delete their post. It's just not feasible - at best you'll end up with a thread that not only is missing an OP but is missing some of it's replies too, making the remaining replies even more confusing.

Also, consider when a user leaves the site and deletes *all* their content at once (hundreds or thousands of threads), and the amount of notifications it would need.

However my original suggestion, amending the warning displayed when you delete an article, is simple, easy and quite likely to reduce the problem of headless posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
However my original suggestion, amending the warning displayed when you delete an article, is simple, easy and quite likely to reduce the problem of headless posts.

And, would seem to be ridiculously easy to implement. There is already text there, when you try to delete a thread. It couldn't be that hard to change that text to something else. Could it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I've changed the message shown when deleting an article to indicate that replies/threads will not be deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant - thanks Daniel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Now that we have your attention, would it be hard to instate that placeholder idea which has been floating around since whenever? As in the creation of a small element that warns readers that content used to be there but has since been deleted (and no more than that), so that at least the flow of the discussion is preserved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.