flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.themainmeal.com.au/SamsSpeech.mpg

maybe not to everyone's taste but I think it's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
YES! I just LOVE "springtime in Graz" and traipsing through the "Tyrolian Alps", while 'vienna sausages' are quite tasty even straight OUT of the 'can'! what? oh... the 'other' "Australia" then? sorry about that!
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Melissa!

Thanks for that! I laughed out loud, even though I couldn't understand at least half of it. Do you have a version of this with subtitles in International English?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
za nouge
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Come on, everyone knows it's UnAustralian to celebrate Australia day.

You're making me homesick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mine says Chop Gun.

Budgie smugglers?

Grats Melissa. Now get outside and break some rocks!

Oh, and you know, I had actually forgotten that we won the Ashes! Thanks for reminding me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Budgie smugglers?

Swimming Costumes-not the boardshort variety-make sense now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
nouge wrote:

Actually if it makes you feel better it was total fire ban throughout Victoria on the day, so distinct lack of traditional barbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
ValJor wrote:
Hi Melissa!

Thanks for that! I laughed out loud, even though I couldn't understand at least half of it. Do you have a version of this with subtitles in International English?

Here's the only direct quotes from it I could find:

"Lamb could have prevented the boofheads perpetrating violence on our beaches - it's bloody hard to bash someone with a cutlet.

And we might not have lost the Ashes if our cricketers picked lamb chops instead of mobile phones. Why on earth did they dispatch lurid text messages to English trollops when plenty of Aussie sheilas would gladly target their middle stump."

And my favourite (paraphrasing slightly): "If you can't pronounce their name, just call them 'mate'."

And here, as a bonus, is the full text of the (apparently more controversial) 2005 ad:

There’s nothing worse than being unAustralian. I should know, I’ve been Australian all my life. And I’m sickened by the creeping tide of unAustralianism eroding our great traditions, like our custom of eating Lamb on Australia Day.

UnAustralianism is everywhere. For example, people wearing those plastic, brightly-coloured flip-flop shoes with flowers on them. What’s wrong with rubber thongs in simple primary colours?And if I hear another person say “thong", when they mean those swimming costumes poncey Brazilian blokes wear up their bums, I’ll do my block.

Sadly, the scourge of unAustralianism has even infected our national day. A balanced Australia Day diet should consist of a few nice, juicy lamb chops and beer. (And perhaps a bit of pavlova for those with a sweet tooth). Yet your long-haired, dole-bludging types are indulging their pierced tastebuds in all manner of exotic, foreign, often vegetarian cuisine: Chicken burger value meals, pizzas, a number 42 with rice… It’s an absolute disgrace. And people ask why we need capital punishment.

Do you think the diggers in the trenches were fighting for tofu sausages? No, they were thinking of grabbing a lamb chop off the barbie with their bare fingers, sustaining third degree burns, then sticking their hands into a relieving esky to fish out a cold one.

Look at our national song, Waltzing Matilda. It’s about a bloke trying to get a nice bit of lamb into his tuckerbag, not spicy chicken wings.

The soap-avoiding, pot-smoking, hippy vegetarians may disagree with me, but they can get stuffed. They know the way to the airport, and if they don’t I’ll show them.

So the message is clear – even for you backpackers: roll out the barbie, ensure the gas bottle’s filled, stack the fridge full of lamb, and prepare the invitation list. So don’t be unAustralian - serve lamb on Australia Day. You know it makes sense. I’m Sam Kekovich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jacobs
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I know I had a meat pie floater. No XXXX heavies here, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:

And here, as a bonus, is the full text of the (apparently more controversial) 2005 ad:

There’s nothing worse than being unAustralian. I should know, I’ve been Australian all my life. And I’m sickened by the creeping tide of unAustralianism eroding our great traditions, like our custom of eating Lamb on Australia Day...

I remember this and as a vegetarian I nearly converted back to carnivorism so I wouldn't be unAustalian. Hilarious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and as a vegetarian

Neil, are you sure you're not Tasmanian?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Neil, are you sure you're not Tasmanian?

Let me check.

Can you swim? Check
Do you have a scar on my neck? No

No I'm not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nouge wrote:

We had a call set up with some coworkers in Australia for Australia Day. Not one of them noticed and the US-Based project manager only noticed it because her project calendar said the Australians wouldn't be working that day (even though none of them had.

Does that mean they ARE Australian since they weren't celebrating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.