Popular Tags: [View All]
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So i just bought the game and we are about to play our first game in the following days. It is probably going to be a 5 player game. How exactly does a 5 player game roll, judging by your experience? Does House Tyrell have the advantage since there is nobody in the south to oppose him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend to use overlay for south, which restores map as was in 1st edition (or similar).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overlay? What sort of an overlay are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited map fragment you can find somewhere on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Here's a link to a pretty good overlay.

For a first go, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Everyone is going to be learning, so you're likely going to get a lot of, "Oh, I should have done THAT a long time ago," or, "So THAT'S how often muster/supply turns up."

In short, I've had fun on the 2nd edition board with 5, but, to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that balance issues will come into play when the players have a few games under their belts. Once you have played three or four games, you're going to want to get 6 together every time (At our table, many simply refuse to play with less than 6), but for the learning experience playing with 5 with an overlay or even with the original rules is good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xapi wrote:
I think that balance issues will come into play when the players have a few games under their belts. Once you have played three or four games, you're going to want to get 6 together every time (At our table, many simply refuse to play with less than 6), but for the learning experience playing with 5 with an overlay or even with the original rules is good enough.

But still playing original setup may ruin the impression.
Some players may simply say something like "he won only because of much better starting position, I don't like the game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Radziol wrote:
Xapi wrote:

But still playing original setup may ruin the impression.
Some players may simply say something like "he won only because of much better starting position, I don't like the game".

Fair enough. You could also use the impassable sides of the neutral garrison tokens for those southern areas. There are neutral garrisons in the 5 player game in the Martel area, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makis mou wrote:
So i just bought the game and we are about to play our first game in the following days. It is probably going to be a 5 player game. How exactly does a 5 player game roll, judging by your experience? Does House Tyrell have the advantage since there is nobody in the south to oppose him?

I've played 5 player and it worked out fine. Whatever the advantage to Baratheon and Tyrell for the neutrals, the other players can balance that out.

Maybe on your upteenth game it gives and advantage, but by then you can judge for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sirjeyhmis wrote:
Fair enough. You could also use the impassable sides of the neutral garrison tokens for those southern areas. There are neutral garrisons in the 5 player game in the Martel area, right?

Simply blocking off areas will not necessarily improve balance, rather just create new imbalances.

For example, if you blocked of Yronwood, Starfall and Salt Shore (leaving the normal neutral force in Sunspear so that that victory point is still available), then Tyrell will have lots of crown areas that won't really be contested, making him much stronger. If you additionally blocked off the Boneway and Prince's Pass (meaning the "whole" of Dorne geographically, minus Sunspear), then Tyrell has no realistic chance of taking Storm's End, and Baratheon probably wins by default.

I wouldn't bother playing a 5-player game without an overlay, maybe because I'm used to 1st Ed 5-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoodster
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We just played our first 5-player game a few weeks ago using the Race to King's Landing variant and we had a blast. The changes are simple: Baratheon is unplayable and Dragonstone is impassable. I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
stoodster wrote:
We just played our first 5-player game a few weeks ago using the Race to King's Landing variant and we had a blast. The changes are simple: Baratheon is unplayable and Dragonstone is impassable. I highly recommend it.

We tried this for our first (5-player) game, and it worked out great. I as Martell had a quite easy stretch up the eastern shores though, as my gaming group didn't really notice me gaining castles/keeps and King's Landing fast enough. I may have won on a missed Raid token as well.. ninja Next time we will definitely be aware of the coast line, and I get the feeling that this setup is actually quite balanced all in all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.