Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Garrisons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found it a simple but useful strategy to maintain 2 troop garrisons in each and every GOOD governance Muslim country. While it does cost you a card in your hand after you have a few of them going, it essentially creates a front line that makes it very hard for jihadists to operate. Any cells moving into or through the troop cluster are easily disrupted out of existence, and there is a real intimidation factor, especially knowing the US can be effective even with a low ops hand. Those GOOD governance countries are precious - you gotta do what you can to protect them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last opponent did that to me. He lost, but the approach showed some promise. The flip side is, that a single cell can walk into a place with troops, use the Martyrdom card and drop US prestige.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bailey
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will generally do that if I convert a country worth 3VP to good, but not usually otherwise. I agree that it is intimidating, but it makes a juicy target for plots which will be highly effective if placed because it will hit prestige and lower governance at the same time. Plotting and jihad in good countries is difficult and costly so there is no reason to make it even more tempting by putting prestige on the line. Also, if you have a good country that a cell enters 1 op can disrupt a single cell without troops present; so you are never really defenseless. The reason I will leave two troops in a 3VP country is because the Jihadist player will most likely be very tempted to move many cells into the country to have as many chances as possible to worsen governance so the extra disrupt could be critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't sound like a very good strategy. In close games, you will probably need all the troops you can muster to initiate 2 regime changes.

Also, don't forget about the very nasty Jaysh al-Mahdi card. The prerequisite is that a Shia-Mix country has cells AND troops and it drops the governance one level when played by the Jihadists. I'm more than happy to play this to drop the very country you wanted to protect to Fair, especially as bringing it back to Good will incur a -1 penalty on the die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting points from all.

I would say that there are always going to be cards like Jaysh al-Madhi, the Iran card, etc. that can hurt governance. Is it worth restructuring your whole defence because of one card out of 120? The Jihadist only has a 50% chance of getting it.

And I would add that the garrisoning troops are still available for regime changes, although I grant it may take a one op card to reposition. In any game I've played, the US player only gets into 2 simultaneous regime changes out of sheer desperation - sometimes it can take all you got to get out of one! Two regime changes means troops in overstretch, little flexibility, being vulnerable to all of the nasty jihadist events that call for regime change, etc. It usually means that things are close to jihadist victory, unless the last deck is finishing up soon, especially if the jihadist has healthy funding.

And finally, with regard to plotting in good countries, yes, it is possible that the jihadist can race in, try a few rolls to get a 1 to land a plot there, but that will be the last thing they ever do. Disrupt for 1 op, boost your prestige, block the plot. I can play that game all day long.

And if they land a plot that goes off, again, the disrupt means there is no net prestige loss, and those cells are now dead. Muslim countries at GOOD are always going to be a prime target. That's life.

Finally, GOOD countries can disrupt on their own, but only one cell at a time, and at no gain in prestige. Some defense is better than no defense at all, but I would rather use that only if my troops happen to be committed elsewhere and there is no other way.

Great discussion, though. Any other contributions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:

I would say that there are always going to be cards like Jaysh al-Madhi, the Iran card, etc. that can hurt governance. Is it worth restructuring your whole defence because of one card out of 120? The Jihadist only has a 50% chance of getting it.

There is more than one copy of Martyrdom in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
thegreat2 wrote:

There is more than one copy of Martyrdom in the deck.

Also, don't forget that Oil Spike cards can bring a discarded Martyrdom back into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but martyrdom ops has its limitations too.

There are 3 martyrdom ops cards in the deck - you can't mitigate them all, but you can spend 6 ops to block the plots, or hang on to cards like KSM or Let's Roll for that purpose. Once or twice per deck the Jihadist will likely try to attack your GOOD countries that way. Worst case scenario, if you are worried about the loss of prestige, spend 1 op and retreat your troops to the track.

Point being, it is a war after all, and you can't mitigate all bad events. I've found that garrisoning the good countries adds an effective layer of protection and intimidation that contributes to victory most times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bailey
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The fact that martyrdom may come out and may cause a ton of damage in a good country is not a solid enough reason to leave troops there. I think you kinda have to just roll with the punches and rely on alerts and non-troop present disrupts to protect you in those situations.

The only situation I can really see where I would want to garrison in this way would be if I were doing really well and the chance that i would ned need to do a regime change was remote. I could see doing it just to make damn sure nothin crazy happened if there weren't too many action phases left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.