Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Lair of the Wyrm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Flash Powder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor K
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question on this, especially in light of the new clarification on immobilize. If I'm reading this right, this card is perfect for my low strength thief who keeps getting hit with web traps while treasure hunting.

1. Could you use Flash powder while immobilized? I think the answer is yes

2. Does its use require an enemy monster next to you? I think the answer is no.

3. Can you be interrupted/trapped during the flash powder activation? Yes you can, it's not a teleport

For reference the wording on the card is:

Quote:
ACTION: Test Awareness. If you pass, 1 monster adjacent to you (your choice) is stunned and you may move up to your speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the wording, I tend to agree with your interpretation. However, I think I would send 2) to FFG, as I feel that that might not be the intention behind the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes - Flash powder does not create a move action, which based on FFG's rulings seems to be the only thing immobilize prevents...

2) No - The card does not state that you "may" stun an adjacent monster, but that an adjacent monster is stunned by this action; the "choice" in the card language refers to which monster, not the stunning... I would say this implies (and is consistent thematically) that there has to be an adjacent monster to be able to use this... Otherwise the utility of this card becomes too powerful, in my opinion...

3) Yes - The trigger for something like Pit Trap or Web Trap is when a hero "enters an empty space"... Though not a move action, the trigger condition for traps can still be easily satisfied...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emproc1346 wrote:
1)
2) No - The card does not state that you "may" stun an adjacent monster, but that an adjacent monster is stunned by this action; the "choice" in the card language refers to which monster, not the stunning... I would say this implies (and is consistent thematically) that there has to be an adjacent monster to be able to use this... Otherwise the utility of this card becomes too powerful, in my opinion...

I don't agree here. I think it would be usable as suggested. The card doesn't target anything. It simply affects an adjacent monster. If it required a target that would be a different story. Take for instance the following wording.

-> Choose an adjacent monster. Test awareness. If you succeed, the chosen monster is stunned and you may move up to your speed.

This is essentially the same effect, but if there is no adjacent monster you can't use it. Comparing that to the wording provided:

-> Test awareness. If you succeed, an adjacent moster is stunned and you may move up to your speed.

Subtle difference but the arrangement of the wording is very critical in this circumstance. That's how I would rule it up until there is some sort of clarification from FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thematically, and only thematically, you use flash powder and if you succeed, you can move your speed, as the side effect of monster being adjacent to the space, where powder were used, he is stunned because of looking on the flash.

For me there is no reason or rule that prevent you from using powder when no monster is adjacent to you.

P.S. I'm almost always playing as OL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
My take.

1) Yes since the clarification that rigorous reading of Immobilized text was in fact intended. Probably no under house rules that prefer to misread Immo.

2) No. To read it as a *requirement*, I would want the mention of an adjacent monster to be further up front in the text (ie where costlike stuff or conditions would usually be situated). Along the lines of "Choose a monster adjacent to you and test Awareness. Then stuff happens."
As is, I'd grant the stunning as an effect (not a cost) that is (obligatorily due to lack of "may") fulfilled as much as possible when triggering (thus one could not for example choose to not stun an available adjacent monster if for whatever weird reason one may prefer that).

3) Depends on the interrupt condition. No to "during a move action" (I keep forgetting which of the traps does that), yes to generic "enter field" ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with most of the others. In particular...

(3) No to Tripwire, yes to Pit Trap and Web Trap. Interestingly, I think Web Trap will not cause your movement to end, but this one could use clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.