Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Difficulty question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I would like to ask how do u guys feel about this games in terms of difficulty? Is it very easy, ok, hard, very hard?

I'll be playing with 2-3 players mostly, I don't wish that while I'm playing with multiple players, it gives me the feeling of "nah, that's an easy job"

Hope someone can share your playthrough experiences with me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:
Is it very easy, ok, hard, very hard?

All of the above really. The rules are easy to pick up. Because it's a game system as much as a game it's OK to be creative with it. Some of the Adventures are hard to win. The game is very hard to dislike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOL... >.<

I'm actually referring to the monsters/encounters difficulty

I heard some people are saying it's very easy to win @@?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and no. I've gone through the entire tile stack with Catti-Brie and Entreri, finishing without any damage on either hero. But then again, you get Athrogate into the game and difficulty goes up several notches, mostly because he sucks in comparison to the others. Drizzt is, well, Drizzt ninja .

Especially since I started with Castle Ravenloft, LoD is way, way easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've played all 3 games, LoD does feel more forgiving in comparison - the encounters are "kinder" and there are monster cards that are just stalagmites. However, the randomness means things can always take a turn for the worse when you least expect it. Some of my memorable losses with Drizzt were meeting a Troll & a Drider as I was about to escape in Adventure 1 and getting killed mid-adventure by a hunting party of Vierna Do'urden and her pet (custom) Ogre.

You could also reduce the number of Healing Surge tokens used from the default 2 to easily adjust the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like to ask what would be the win ratio in this game (average)
50 (win): 50 (lose)?
70 (win): 30 (lose)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably 60(win):40(lose) for me but it's muddled by some of the adventures being competitive scenarios, which the other games do not have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:
LOL... >.<

I'm actually referring to the monsters/encounters difficulty

I heard some people are saying it's very easy to win @@?

Easy and hard are relative. It is never the kind of headbanging challenge you get from Ghost Stories, but do you need that kind of brutality every time? I think what you mean is: does it give the players the feeling of having had a real challenge?

Yes it often does, but the feeling can vary quite a bit. It is possible, with some of the simpler adventures, using a combination of the stronger Heroes, and some favourable card draws to glide through the game and feel a bit flat. But when you pick a good scenario, and get a bad run of encounters, it can be quite nailbiting. Coming out just ahead, when you have had a pretty tough time of it is very satisfying, and this it delivers frequently enough. I think the 60 per cent win ratio mentioned is about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun.. that's what it is... win or lose... it's fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:
I would like to ask what would be the win ratio in this game (average)
50 (win): 50 (lose)?
70 (win): 30 (lose)?

Hi Cadrick, in our games, our win ratios are (after 123 games):

Castle Ravenloft: 62%
Wrath of Ashardalon: 53%
Legend of Drizzt: 78%

Keep in mind that we're playing with all characters mixed from all three games. So if you only have LoD, your win ratio might be slightly lower since you won't have some of the strong heroes of the previous two games.

Competitive adventures (mentioned by KY) are not included in our ratio as we don't keep track of them. The main difference between the three games could be the absence of some really hard scenarios in LoD. For instance, our group is a combined 3:14 (wins:losses) against adventure 12 in WoA, which of course drags down the average win ratio. The worst record in LoD is adventure 7 with 5:4 wins.

Comparing the solo adventures (106 games), LoD is actually the one with the lowest win ratio (77%, compared with 81% in WoA and 85% in CaR). This suggests to me that the monsters/ encounters are roughly the same in all games and the only difference is indeed the inclusion of very hard adventures in CaR and WoA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.