Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Lassnig
Switzerland
Satigny
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody,

so for some reason I pledged 183$ for the captain, instead of 113$, don't know why....

So now, -13$ shipping to Europe, leaves me with 70$ extra that I can use to shop optionals! Yay! I hadn't originally planned on it, but what the heck.

So I'm wondering what my best options are. I definitely want the Elemental Boss (20$), but then it becomes a blur. I'm partially interested in the Skald+Sleeves (20$), not really interested in the Spriggan, the Agents seem cool but there's not much information there (but damn, they look cool). Then there's also the extra cards (30 treasure + 30 quest, for 25$) which extends the replayability quite a bit, which is really important for me. Another option are the dice (they look fabulous as well, and they're engraved! 15$), or the treasure bag (5$).

Well, what can I say.. it's hopeless I'm wondering if the Skald really brings that much to the table, when there's already 5 male/female heros, plus the trickster hero. (by the way, does the trickster hero come with a sleeve? and it's just male, right?)

OK, enough rambling, let me know what you think.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably would get the Spriggan since it is a KS exclusive figure.

With $70 over, my list would look like this:

$15 Spriggan
$15 Skald (the mechanics for how this class plays look nifty)
$10 Treasure Deck
$15 Quest Expansion Deck
----
$55

Now, if you're planning on playing with other people, $15 for the extra set of dice might be your best use of the remaining money.

Otherwise, I guess $5 each for the Skald and Spriggan sleeves, remaining $5 for the dice bag assuming you're the kind of gamer that wants to protect his cards.

IMHO that first $55 gives you the biggest variety in terms of game play right out of the box -- at least, based on what we've seen so far. That final $15 is up for interpretation depending on the type of gamer your are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trickster comes with two figures and sleeves.

With $70, if you don't want the Spriggan, I'd go with:
Skald + Sleeves ($20)
Treasure Deck ($10, $30 total)
Quest Deck ($15, $45 total)
Elemental Boss ($20, $65 total)
Treasure Bag ($5, $70 total)

The Treasure and Quest decks will aid in replayability. The Skald will allow new player mechanics, plus, who doesn't like sitting around the table spewing random poetry? You've already said that the Elemental Boss is a must. And the bag is $5, which, unless you're planning on making your own, is probably as cheap or cheaper than you're going to find a cloth bag anywhere else.

Now, that being said, if you decide you want other things, you can always add more money when the pledge manager comes out. I know a lot of people are buying the second set of Sculpted Lairs ($8) so they can have a double-lair tile without it looking unbalanced. The dice are kind of a wash unless you're a completist or really don't like sharing dice, and even that's only for the Fate Dice; you can get standard d10s at your FLGS for less than $1 apiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to get the Elemental boss as it was bothering me that it was the only base set boss not in the box. I felt incomplete......

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shinKen wrote:
by the way, does the trickster hero come with a sleeve? and it's just male, right?

The Trickster comes with sleeves and in male and female versions (sketch for the female Trickster can be seen in Update #37).

But back to your problem.

Keep in mind that once the pledge manager is available you can add money to your pledge, so you don't have to hit the $70 exactly and can over (if you are willing to spend more).

You said you want the Elemental Boss and gameplay, so let's focus on that.

Here is my suggestion for hitting the $70:
Elemental Boss $20
Quest Expansion $15
Treasure Expansion $10
Agents of Darkness $25
The Boss you want, the Quest Expansion adds a lot of Quests (30 to the 45 of the base game, the Agents add some gameplay not found elsewhere and the Treasure Expansion brings the costs exactly to $70 (but only adds 30 cards to the 96 of the base game). The downside is no new heroes.

If you want to go over the $70 just a little bit:
Elemental Boss $20
Quest Expansion $15
Agents of Darkness $25
Skald $15
A good mix of options for $75 ($80 if you add the Skald sleeves) that covers a bit of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lassnig
Switzerland
Satigny
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I had to get the Elemental boss as it was bothering me that it was the only base set boss not in the box. I felt incomplete......

-Ski

My point exactly! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lassnig
Switzerland
Satigny
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you all for the answers! I didn't realise that I could pledge more later on, but I probably won't as I'm already over budget with my annual game shopping. (And it's only April!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$183 is exactly what I pledged as well... though not by mistake

My initial plan was to go with:

Skald + Sleeves $20
Quest Expansion $15
Treasure Deck $10
Supplement Tiles $25

But I'm now thinking of dropping the tiles and going with the Elemental Boss instead (and throw in the treasure bag to make up the last $5). I think that would give me the best range of gameplay enhancing options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Landskrona
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shinKen wrote:
Awesome, thank you all for the answers! I didn't realise that I could pledge more later on, but I probably won't as I'm already over budget with my annual game shopping. (And it's only April!)

Another option, if you want the most plastic for your buck, would be to bump up the pledge level to the $150 Apprentice Level. This would net you an additional 66 miniatures (iirc) and a Litograph. With the remaining $20 you could get the Skald/Spriggan ($15) + sleeves($5) or the Story Deck ($15) + Treasure bag ($5).

This won't give you much new things gameplay-wise though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
modernlife wrote:
$183 is exactly what I pledged as well... though not by mistake

My initial plan was to go with:

Skald + Sleeves $20
Quest Expansion $15
Treasure Deck $10
Supplement Tiles $25

But I'm now thinking of dropping the tiles and going with the Elemental Boss instead (and throw in the treasure bag to make up the last $5). I think that would give me the best range of gameplay enhancing options.

Dropping the tiles definitely seems like a good plan. If you've watched the videos you would have seen them putting the ones not in use aside. I don't think supplement tiles are the way to go, unless you want the snow ones. But even then, unless they announce some gameplay mechanics that go with the tiles, I can't see anybody needing more.

Why has no one mentioned the Slaughterfield cards? That looks like the Royal Rumble Survivor mode of the game. They seem pretty cool, even if they are super costly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Landskrona
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
Why has no one mentioned the Slaughterfield cards? That looks like the Royal Rumble Survivor mode of the game. They seem pretty cool, even if they are super costly.

I was thinking about adding them but for some reason I thought the OP wasn't interested in them. They do seem to add the most gameplay-wise (if you're interested in the slaughterfield mode at all that is) but also the most expensive for what you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they could do some videos with information about the add-ons in time for the pledge manager to come alive ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to try this trick. "Seriously, honey, I meant to only type $100, but somehow I ended up typing $400 instead. Well, I guess we'll just have to make the most of it... which add-ons should we get?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd be crazy NOT to get the Spriggan... As an exclusive model it will easily sell on the after-market for a massive inflation, and at worst its another full, unique playable character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
DPO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
I know you don't want the Spriggan, but you should get it just for the KS exclusive model, even though it is overpriced at $20 including sleeves.

Spriggan $20 with sleeves
Elemental $20
Sculpted Lairs $8 - this is the easiest decision in my book, ridiculously good value, by far the best of the add-ons for value, and even at captain you can double lair elementals skeletons and almost orcs.
From there the rewards are debatable for me, I'd probably pull the trigger on Skald/sleeves even though you can get it after market, just so you can get the metal plate associated with the skald now instead of having to get cardboard later if you buy it (the 500k stretch goal)
That puts you at $68
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me but I only buy things I want and think I'll get use out of and don't really care how much something may or may not be worth in the future. The Spriggan model doesn't really interest me at all to be honest and so I don't see it as essential at all. I'd rather wait to see what they come up with for the druid after finding out how the game actually plays for us.

Same with extra lairs. Unless you absolutely must have the correct lair for aesthetic reasons, there's more than enough in the stretch goal to mark lairs on the map even if they're from a different spawn type to the type of lair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Handley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Man...I dunno if I could ever limit myself on a game like this. Anyway, 70$:

Spriggan
Skald
Elemental Boss
Quest Deck
Treasure Bag

There's something about wanting as many options as possible, that's what made me go this route...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would go for
Spriggan
Skald
Agents of Darkness
and then the Quest Expansion or the Treasure deck and the Treasure bag.
That would mean not getting the elemental Boss.
You have several combinations and all depends on what you like more.
Although you can always throw in a bit more of money and get everything once the pledge manager comes.
It won't come for some months, so you have plenty of time to think about it and save a bit of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.