Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the best scenario to play for first time players? Any better than number 1?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fat Lipki (#1) will do - it has the lowest unit density, and no pesky hills or other things to get in the way.

We ended up going straight from Fat Lipki to the RSG - there's only really ordnance, artillery, fortifications and hills missing from scenario 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to stress how quickly one can (and should!) jump into the RSG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
scottandkimr wrote:
What is the best scenario to play for first time players? Any better than number 1?

Several folks have started with the example of play as it starts a game and then demonstrates quite a few of the rules. But the example of play doesn't finish the game. Players could then pick up their cards and continue to resolve the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is RSG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll "fourth" the use of Fat Lipki - it's very straightforward.

A couple of things you should be aware of: it can be very frustrating for a new German player if you don't get "Move" cards in the first couple of hands - emphasize the need for flexibility and not to get frustrated with not getting the cards you want - instead focus on playing the cards you have (or ditching them to get new ones); the German player tends (I say "tends" very carefully) to be put in a defensive position, while the Russian tends to be on the attack. Attacking effectively is very difficult in Combat Commander (as it is in most wargames) until you know the system well.

Good luck with introducing it. The CC system, despite a few minor warts, remains one of my favourite tactical systems and I'm playing at least twice a month.

Quote:
What is RSG?

Random Scenario Generator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
scottandkimr wrote:
What is RSG?

The Random Scenario Generator in the game.

If you are not aware, the game was designed initially with just the RSG. As development was being finalized, GMT asked that 12 historical scenarios be added. I mention this to give support to the idea that the RSG is well designed and works extremely well in this game.

On a related note, while Fat Lipki is a good starting scenario, I find it works best for an experienced player to teach a new player. I prefer to have the new player be the Russians as they have a larger force and will have more options during their turns. Quite a few (but not all) scenarios of Fat Lipki settle into a situation where the Germans are ensconced in a building and firing to hold back the Russians. This might be less than satisfying for a new player who will have little use for their MOVE, ADVANCE orders. As a result, if two new players are trying Fat Lipki, they may wish to play once from each side before rushing to judgement on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I see some tournament scenarios in the file section that look really good and low density. Has anyone had any experience playing these? Some of them seem great for new players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo the OPs question with a twist. What is the best first scenario OTHER THAN Fat Lipki? I've introduced many people to this game using Fat Lipki, and frankly I just can't stand it anymore. What's another low density, flat scenario without ordinance and radios? Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
KillerB wrote:
What is the best first scenario OTHER THAN Fat Lipki? ... What's another low density, flat scenario without ordinance and radios?

Why the requirement for "low density"? More units can give you more options to use cards in hand.

That said...Scenario 3 (Bonfire of the NKVD) and Scenario 5 (Cold Front) are both good scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Galli
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
The 4th Hussars Do Not Ride Donkeys!
mbmbmbmbmb

For fast, low-density scenarios I also like:

S23 "No-Man's Land" & S30 "Red Skies at Night"

But neither of these is in the base set (S23 is Med & S30 is Para)

The RSG also makes good fast low-density games, and if you script portions of the generator you can tailor the game to a newcomer as well as ensure that the density is low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
scottandkimr wrote:

Several folks have started with the example of play as it starts a game and then demonstrates quite a few of the rules. But the example of play doesn't finish the game. Players could then pick up their cards and continue to resolve the situation.

I did this for my own learning game, but once I felt comfortable with the rules I started teaching with Fat Lipki.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone dalla Chiesa
Italy
Cassina de' Pecchi
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerB wrote:
hat is the best first scenario OTHER THAN Fat Lipki?

Number 10, definitely. Just spend few words about the higher elevation building in M8, and your opponent will be ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
Fat Lipki (#1) will do - it has the lowest unit density, and no pesky hills or other things to get in the way.

We ended up going straight from Fat Lipki to the RSG - there's only really ordnance, artillery, fortifications and hills missing from scenario 1.

I would never start again with Fat Lipki.
Several of my friends didn't want to continue with Combat Commander after starting with a Fat Lipki session. Only a few strange results during the game (which often occurs in CC), and it makes no sense to continue.

Choose a scenario with more units, it doesn't matter which one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think an RSG scenario might be a good starting point, because it's "pure" CC, without any special rules added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, we went with scenario 10. It worked well enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.