Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the best barbecue located?

How is it prepared?

What meat is the best?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arby's.

Quickly.

Not sure if it's really meat.

just trollin' along
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Brisket, Texas-style. I'm sure someone is going to say it looks like crap because it didn't come from a $80/plate steakhouse, can't be paired with a Pinot Noir, and is best enjoyed with one of those contemptible American beers. Brisket is a cheap, tough cut of meat that takes all day to cook if it's even going to be edible. Food of proles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Hopefully moving back to Colorado again soon. Here we go family, next new adventure!
mbmbmbmb
Caribbean.

Slowly over open fire.

Human.

Never can beat the original
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola's house.

Slowly smoked with hickory and applewood. Served with a side of banana cheesies.

Hobo of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Korea

Fresh at your table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Doesn't matter what it is, just slather it with Hunt's

but if you don't have that, Ketchup is just as good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Well, at least it's not raining.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Greek fest. Big-a-grill-a. Lamb. Not having to pay for it is also nice-a.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Arby's.

Quickly.

Not sure if it's really meat.

I worked at an Arby's for a year and half. The meat comes in plastic bags. It is "real" beef, but I can't say for sure what parts the beef came from. gulp
It is basically a meat slurry- mostly pulverized meat protein with a carefully measured amount of fat mixed in, plus the occasional "chunk" of lean meat.
It is pinkish gray when raw and brownish gray after cooking.
We baked them in a convection oven for 4 or 5 hours, as I recall.
You had to weigh them when raw, then again after they were cooked to figure out the loss of water and fat ("juice"). If it was an abnormal number/ percentage then you were either cooking them too long or the producer was adding more water/ fat to the mix.

As bad as this all sounds (and even worse if you've heard of "pink slime" (see link below) from Jaimie Oliver's adventures in American fast food), I still go to Arby's once in awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
why go to a restaurant when you can do it at home even better

i use sweet baby rays as a base. for 1 gallon i use 1 big jug SBY, 5T onion powder, 2 cans chipotle peppers pureed, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup molasses, 1T liquid smoke and 1 bottle of bourbon...salt to taste

ill stretch it a bit by adding the left over indirect heat pan of drippings a little at a time to the sauce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MABBY wrote:
As bad as this all sounds (and even worse if you've heard of "pink slime"

I probably eat a fair bit of pink slime from time to time, but other than the use of chemicals to extract all of the meat and soft-bits from a carcass, I've never quite understood the issue here, especially from a chef's standpoint.

I saw a similar one where Jaime Oliver did a similar thing with a chicken carcass when talking with kids about chicken nuggets. He whizzed the chicken up in a food processor and pushed the pulverized bits through a sieve. The soft material that came through the sieve was effectively a crude "pink slime" and he told the kids that was what was in their chicken nuggets. BUT what I don't quite understand about this is that these "leftover" bits that were supposed to be disgusting to eat are pretty much the same parts that a good cook or chef would use to make stock -- that is the central core of "good" soups and stews. Instead of pulverizing the bits and running them through a processor, a cook instead takes the same discarded bits of carcass and boils them in a pot to extract all of their essence. I don't understand quite how one use of the parts is derided while another use is praised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
humans have been extracting meat bits and consuming them in the form of sulze for a very long time

it used to be easy to come by organ meat with the titanic influx of immigrants what used to be throw away meat has skyrocketed in price

i used to be able to get ox tails, heart and beef tongue for next to nothing....now its damn expensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich with slaw and hot sauce.

Can't be beat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
MABBY wrote:

I probably eat a fair bit of pink slime from time to time, but other than the use of chemicals to extract all of the meat and soft-bits from a carcass, I've never quite understood the issue here, especially from a chef's standpoint.

I saw a similar one where Jaime Oliver did a similar thing with a chicken carcass when talking with kids about chicken nuggets. He whizzed the chicken up in a food processor and pushed the pulverized bits through a sieve. The soft material that came through the sieve was effectively a crude "pink slime" and he told the kids that was what was in their chicken nuggets. BUT what I don't quite understand about this is that these "leftover" bits that were supposed to be disgusting to eat are pretty much the same parts that a good cook or chef would use to make stock -- that is the central core of "good" soups and stews. Instead of pulverizing the bits and running them through a processor, a cook instead takes the same discarded bits of carcass and boils them in a pot to extract all of their essence. I don't understand quite how one use of the parts is derided while another use is praised.

It's like hot dogs. You're happier not knowing how it's made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'nuff said...

http://franklinbarbecue.com/

Austin, Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

I probably eat a fair bit of pink slime from time to time, but other than the use of chemicals to extract I don't understand quite how one use of the parts is derided while another use is praised.

i save ham bones, shrimp tails....you name it and make stock out of them. i save all my plastic folgers cans and my fridge in the garage is crammed full of ready made stock. takes a while to make steak bones add up to something but it is totally worth the effort....especially if you oven roast or smoke them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Whenever I return to Texas to visit my aged Dad, there's only two things I want to eat--Mexican food and BBQ: Texas style--slow cooked in the 50 gallon drum oven. Beef brisket is the best, IMO.
Here in Portland, the best option is Reo's Ribs--it's owned by Snoop Doggy Dog's uncle. Sizzle Fo'shizzle. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Best BBQ
DKahnt wrote:
Where is the best barbecue located?

How is it prepared?

What meat is the best?

-DK

1) Any decent ones that I can get to. I've heard of some great BBQ joints, but if I can't get to them, they are only taunting me, and adding to my angst - so they aren't the best! I'm probably going to a moderately good BBQ place for lunch - not as good as one within driving distance (Pecos Pit), but as I can walk to it, it wins and is the best!

2) Magic pixies, I think.

3) Hmmm -

Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We eat again! This is good, but what is the best meat?

Mongol: The open faced sandwich, succulent beef brisket, a tasty but not overpowering sauce, and a side of cornbread.

Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To stuff your face, eating whatever pork sammich is handy, and to hear the lamentation of your gut.

Mongol General: That is good! That is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to expand a tad on what David K. said...

Texas.

Slow cooked over hickory or pecan wood.

Brisket, of course.

Oh, and no sauce needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Since it seems that my post about Hunt's didn't catch fire as the irony it was, here's my real response to the best Barbeque

Kansas City area Oklahoma Joe's

Wonderful amount of smoke on the meat, complimentary sauces, pure heaven.

Also, Zarda's burnt ends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best BBQ in the world only comes from one place:
Memphis

Dry rubbed pork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
MABBY wrote:
...BUT what I don't quite understand about this is that these "leftover" bits that were supposed to be disgusting to eat are pretty much the same parts that a good cook or chef would use to make stock -- that is the central core of "good" soups and stews.

How very true. Good point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Buddy's BBQ in Knoxville is my place of choice for pulled pork.

Rendezvous in Memphis for ribs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Kansas City. It's where the cattle came too so they could die and become the best barbeque in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City-style_barbecue

The parking lot at Kansas City Chief football games has often been described as the best smelling place on earth. People arrive on Saturday morning to start cooking their barbeque for the game on Sunday. If you have never tasted barbeque ribs that were cooked for 10 hours you are missing one of the great thrills that make life worth living.

Our barbeque restaurants are legendary here. Oklahoma Joe's was named the manliest restaurant in America by Mens Health Magazine multiple times and Jack Stacks Barbeque has been named the best barbeque restaurant in the country multiple times by Restaurant magazine.

The public libraries in Kansas City by the way have special barbeque book sections.

The only problem is while you can't swing a cat without hitting a good barbeque joint here finding a good Japanese restaurant is near impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You call that trying to start an argument? All you've done is provide a forum for people to discuss BBQ joints

If you want an argument, we'll have to delve into the grim dichotomies that will forever split BBQ aficionados

Charcoal or gas?

Wood chips: soaked or dry?

(Charcoal, and soaked)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.