10 Posts

Citadels» Forums » General

Subject: Out of Stock at FFG... maybe soon Out of Print? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah
United States
flag msg tools
I asked FFG if they intend to restock/reprint Citadels, and they gave me a canned response about checking their updates/news page for any updates.

I'm wondering if they are making way for the reimplementation that was published last year for Ohne Furcht und Adel. Can't find any actual details, so right now I'm just speculating.

The only reason I've looked into this is because I've put off purchasing Citadels, and I'm wondering if I should snatch it now on Amazon or wait until a potential new version is released. I would hate to buy a game that will soon be replaced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for it. Most likely a new edition is coming out with the latest event expansion that was added in the latest German editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked at Essen and they said "NO! If you want the additional cards buy the german version!" in a quite unpolite way. Hopefully, they will retract, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
NoahS wrote:
I asked FFG if they intend to restock/reprint Citadels, and they gave me a canned response about checking their updates/news page for any updates.

I'm wondering if they are making way for the reimplementation that was published last year for Ohne Furcht und Adel. Can't find any actual details, so right now I'm just speculating.

The only reason I've looked into this is because I've put off purchasing Citadels, and I'm wondering if I should snatch it now on Amazon or wait until a potential new version is released. I would hate to buy a game that will soon be replaced!

Given
Re: Who here actually makes money off designing games?
it is still a wildly popular and strong-selling game.
If FFG were for some strange reason to let it go OOP, another publisher would snap it up in a second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
I'm sure FFG doesn't intend to discontinue Citadels, it's still selling very regularly.

I don't like the Circus Cards, and hope they won't make their way in any other edition than the German one, for three reasons :

1) I wasn't involved in the design process. The German publisher came up with them and developped them without asking me, which is quite inelegant.

2) Some of the ideas in them are clever, but I'm sure they could have been implemented in a more elegant and efficient way, without adding new mechanisms and a new type of cards. In bluffing games, the fewer mechanisms is always the better.

3) The Circus graphics are nice, but they look XIXth century and make absolutely no sense in the late medieval-Renaissance setting of the other Citadels graphics.

I must say that the addition of these cards in the German edition places me in a very uneasy situation. No one else is credited as an author for these cards in the new German edition, and I even don't know if FFG can legally use them... But, as I said, I prefer them not to do it and to keep the game as it is.

Let it be clear. I have no plans for a Citadels expansion. If someone wants to design one, it's not a problem with me as long as I am involved in the process at least as a playtester, and if I can say no to a card or mechanism I don't like. It had worked this way when we designed the Dark City, in which I made the new buildings but choose new characters submitted by other gamers or by the publisher. It didn't work this way with the Circus cards, and I'd rather have them stay in Germany.

I can understand that FFG people answered in rather unpleasant way in Essen about such a question. I think they discovered the new cards in Essen, and were a bit upset because it places them in the same uncomfortable situation as me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
I'm sure FFG doesn't intend to discontinue Citadels, it's still selling very regularly.

I don't like the Circus Cards, and hope they won't make their way in any other edition than the German one, for three reasons :

1) I wasn't involved in the design process. The German publisher came up with them and developped them without asking me, which is quite inelegant.

2) Some of the ideas in them are clever, but I'm sure they could have been implemented in a more elegant and efficient way, without adding new mechanisms and a new type of cards. In bluffing games, the fewer mechanisms is always the better.

3) The Circus graphics are nice, but they look XIXth century and make absolutely no sense in the late medieval-Renaissance setting of the other Citadels graphics.

I must say that the addition of these cards in the German edition places me in a very uneasy situation. No one else is credited as an author for these cards in the new German edition, and I even don't know if FFG can legally use them... But, as I said, I prefer them not to do it and to keep the game as it is.

Let it be clear. I have no plans for a Citadels expansion. If someone wants to design one, it's not a problem with me as long as I am involved in the process at least as a playtester, and if I can say no to a card or mechanism I don't like. It had worked this way when we designed the Dark City, in which I made the new buildings but choose new characters submitted by other gamers or by the publisher. It didn't work this way with the Circus cards, and I'd rather have them stay in Germany.

I can understand that FFG people answered in rather unpleasant way in Essen about such a question. I think they discovered the new cards in Essen, and were a bit upset because it places them in the same uncomfortable situation as me.

Post of the year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TwiNight
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
faidutti wrote:

I, for one, would not play with the Circus cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah
United States
flag msg tools
Wow, I wouldn't have expected to receive a reply from the designer! Thank you for the interesting insight, Bruno; I had no idea about any of that. Looking forward to ordering a copy of your Citadels.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah
United States
flag msg tools
Reprint for Q3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert K
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mb
faidutti wrote:

Well, the new Dutch edition (999 Games) already has the extra cards, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in other versions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.