Brian C
United States
Grayslake
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi,

As a marketplace buyer I find that I sometimes don't get an email with sale confirmation and payment instructions. Is this something that BGG sends out or the responsibility of the seller? It is not clear to me from reading the Seller and Buyer guides:

Buyer Guide wrote:

How do I buy an item?

In order to buy items in the BoardGameGeek Marketplace just do the following:

Create an account on BoardGameGeek, and verify your email address.
Browse to the game you wish to purchase. You can click on [Browse Games] or see if there's a game for sale directly on the game's database entry page.
Click on the 'Buy!' icon - this will add the game to your shopping cart.
When you are done purchasing games click on 'Checkout' on the top menu bar.
Make sure your shipping address is correct, and verify your order is correct on the checkout pages.
Submit the order! That's all there is to it. The seller has 2 business days to confirm the order. You will receive an email updating you on the status of the order.
If all goes well, you will receive and email with the order total, shipping costs, and payment instructions.

Of the two emails mentioned above, I don't receive either.

Seller Guide wrote:

What do I need to do after I receive an email telling me someone bought a game?

If you are able to sell the items, you need to confirm the order. The email that was sent to you will have the details on how to do that.
If you can't sell the items you must cancel the order. The email will provide instructions for this as well.
When you confirm the order make sure to enter in the shipping charges and payment instructions so that the buyer will know what to do next.

Based on this guide it does not seem that the seller is instructed to send an email to the buyer.

The only sale confirmation/payment instruction messages I have received have come directly from the seller (in one case an email to my email address, in another case a geekmail).

If the seller is supposed to send this email with sale confirmation and payment instructions, would it make sense to update the seller guide to include this step?

Thanks,
Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you click buy and confirm your decision to buy, the system notifies the seller through the email that the seller has in their profile. The seller then either confirm or cancels the sale based on the link provided in the email they receive (or through their marketplace page) and enters payment instructions. The system then sends this confirmation to the buyer and seller to the email they have on file.

It is important to note that the seller's Buy order and the seller's confirmation do not go through the geek mail system. So if either a buyer's or sellers's email on file is incorrect or outdated, the recipient doesn't get the email. If you've gotten a confirmation through geek mail, then the seller has gone the extra step to ensure the buyer is notified. (A practice I try to subscribe to, especially with new users.)

Of course, if the buyer doesn't respond to the email, or go into his marketplace page and confirm the sale, then nothing happens.

bric wrote:
Hi,

As a marketplace buyer I find that I sometimes don't get an email with sale confirmation and payment instructions. Is this something that BGG sends out or the responsibility of the seller? It is not clear to me from reading the Seller and Buyer guides:

Buyer Guide wrote:

How do I buy an item?

In order to buy items in the BoardGameGeek Marketplace just do the following:

Create an account on BoardGameGeek, and verify your email address.
Browse to the game you wish to purchase. You can click on [Browse Games] or see if there's a game for sale directly on the game's database entry page.
Click on the 'Buy!' icon - this will add the game to your shopping cart.
When you are done purchasing games click on 'Checkout' on the top menu bar.
Make sure your shipping address is correct, and verify your order is correct on the checkout pages.
Submit the order! That's all there is to it. The seller has 2 business days to confirm the order. You will receive an email updating you on the status of the order.
If all goes well, you will receive and email with the order total, shipping costs, and payment instructions.

Of the two emails mentioned above, I don't receive either.

Seller Guide wrote:

What do I need to do after I receive an email telling me someone bought a game?

If you are able to sell the items, you need to confirm the order. The email that was sent to you will have the details on how to do that.
If you can't sell the items you must cancel the order. The email will provide instructions for this as well.
When you confirm the order make sure to enter in the shipping charges and payment instructions so that the buyer will know what to do next.

Based on this guide it does not seem that the seller is instructed to send an email to the buyer.

The only sale confirmation/payment instruction messages I have received have come directly from the seller (in one case an email to my email address, in another case a geekmail).

If the seller is supposed to send this email with sale confirmation and payment instructions, would it make sense to update the seller guide to include this step?

Thanks,
Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what the buyer gets sent to his email:

Quote:
You have received an order for the following items from 'XXXXXX'

Please confirm this order within 3 business days with the total cost plus
shipping and payment instructions to the buyer here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=confirm&salei...

If you need to cancel this transaction go here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=cancelorder&s...

Order Summary (placed on 2013-04-24 21:21:50 CST):

---------------------------
Item: 'XXXXXX'
Price: $XX.XX
Condition: Good
Notes:
---------------------------

If the seller responds, the system sends the notification to both the buyer and seller that include the payment instructions that the seller should have entered.

If the buyer doesn't respond, he is sent reminder notices. I'm not sure what happens if the buyer never responds.

Once the game ships, it is the buyer's seller's respnsibility to go into his/her marketplace page and marked "shipped" for the item (as well as paid). Unlike the trade forum, there is no way to enter tracking info and the buyer should send this info directly to the buyer, either through geek mail or regular email.

It's an archaic system and hard to navigate even for the experienced user. There have been talks of a system rewrite for some time now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Grayslake
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks. It must be getting filtered by my work email (not in my junk mail folder). I'll change my email address and see if I start getting them.

Weird about the filter because I do get other marketplace emails like this one:

Quote:
From: marketplace@boardgamegeek.com [mailto:marketplace@boardgamegeek.com]
Subject: BoardGameGeek Marketplace Offer Refused

Your offer made to ..... has been refused. (Reason: No response from seller in 48 hours) Sorry!

earache wrote:
Once the game ships, it is the buyer's respnsibility to go into his/her marketplace page and marked "shipped" for the item (as well as paid).

I can't for the life of me find where (as the buyer) to mark a transaction as "paid" or "shipped"... looked all over my Marketplace page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bric wrote:
I can't for the life of me find where (as the buyer) to mark a transaction as "paid" or "shipped"... looked all over my Marketplace page.

That's because it's the seller's responsibility. Fixed that, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.