Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to keep my collection diverse. If I get all three, I will have two with similar themes, and two with similar action selection mechanics. Which two would you get and why? Or is it worth having all three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Will must be one of them. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group really likes Thebes. For a Euro game, it's very thematic. Some players will be bothered by the randomness of drawing artifacts from the bag. If this describes your players, you should probably avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Our group really likes Thebes. For a Euro game, it's very thematic. Some players will be bothered by the randomness of drawing artifacts from the bag. If this describes your players, you should probably avoid it.

As someone who falls into that category, I second that advice. We liked what it was trying to do, but replayability for us was nil.

Edit: I have bought all three. Assuming by Pergamum you really mean Pergamon, both that and Last Will have been keepers for me after surviving multiple plays. Thebes I sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Looking at your collection (seems to be a lot of more thematic games, not too many heavy Euros), I think Thebes would be a good fit. It is not too heavy and "digging" is a lot of fun.

I haven't tried the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all 3, and enjoy all 3. Last Will is the most unique of the group, and the most humorous. Thebes is probably the most exciting, and probably the most likely to interest friends and family without much arm wrangling. Pergamon might require the most skill of the three, as selection of digs and money is critical, and non-gamers will probably flop their first game. I'd be happy to play any of them, but if I had to put them in order, I'd put:

1) Thebes
2) Last Will
3) Pergamon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
I'd be happy to play any of them, but if I had to put them in order, I'd put:

1) Thebes
2) Last Will
3) Pergamon

It's exactly the reverse for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
mjacobsca wrote:
I'd be happy to play any of them, but if I had to put them in order, I'd put:

1) Thebes
2) Last Will
3) Pergamon

It's exactly the reverse for me.

I got the mish-mash of you two.

1. Last Will
2. Pergamon
9. Thebes

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pergamon and Thebes have the archaeology theme in common, so the question might be - do you want an easy or more difficult archaeology game? Both involve putting collections together for display. Thebes is more luck based, Pergamon is more strategy based. I would pick one of the two.

Last Will is a tableau-building game, so it depends on whether you already have other games of this type, and whether you want another one. Its certainly a nice example of the genre. You might also consider San Juan / Race for the Galaxy / Glory to Rome or London.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.